“Behind the curtain”

Cactus Sushi
Ranked #19 of 39 Restaurants in Tenafly
Cuisines: Sushi
Reviewed 9 August 2015

Tucked in at one side of the movie theatre in downtown Tenafly is a cultural oasis, a little bar that becomes larger in the imagination. Once you become aware of its secrets you'll want to return again and again.

When you step up and in the door of Cactus Sushi, you are immediately confronted with a stark choice: sushi or juice? At first, it seems a bit strange, but if you have a bit of inventiveness, you can ask for anything. Today I had a medium carrot, beet, and kale juice with a yellowtail hand roll to stay.

I sat at the minuscule counter looking out into the street, across the tracks, and onto the grounds of the rail station. The nori was green and lightly toasted. Its flavor blended smoothly in with the sweet tanginess of the rice. The rice warmed the fish, which was generously layered with a few scallions behind it for bite. The juice was cool, deep, and dark, simultaneously mysterious and colorful.

The last time I visited Cactus Sushi, I heard the bells jangling as I stepped out the door. That's what brought me back. Or was it something else?

Reviewed 28 July 2015

I used to work in one of the country clubs near by, Sam and his wife always served me in the best possible way. It is a small nice spot to grab a bite. The sushi he makes is absolutely amazing and delicious. I would highly recommend it to anyone that would ask. Price wise it is just about the right price for what you get. Cash only but ATM's near by. I remember both Sam and his wife with lots of love since they were always really nice with me.

Reviewed 29 September 2014

Sammy makes the best sushi I've tasted in a long time. His maki rolls are inventive and many are his unique creations. His sauces are all home made and delicious. Pair a couple of rolls with a great fruit or veggie smoothy and you're in for a treat. Hard to pick a favorite but Salmon Yaki, the Osaka or the Fuji were all amazing. Cash only but worth the effort. There are banks with ATMs on the left and the right of the shop. Mostly take out but Sammy has a couple of seats in the store and a few outside if you want to stick around.

2  Thank SavtaAmy