“University Diner closed”

University Diner
Ranked #87 of 159 Restaurants in Union
Cuisines: Diner
Reviewed 26 May 2016

This diner really declared Ned before it finally closed send for good. Service and food were bad. Don't bother to go there. Too bad as it was very close to Kean U campus.

Reviewed 21 February 2016

University diner was around for many years. Food was always good, service prompt.
Best matzo ball soup around. Office was located not far from there and we went to lunch regularly. Too bad they closed.

Reviewed 2 July 2015

My wife and I have eaten here many times in the past. You could say it's our go to diner. Our last visit was very disappointing. While the interior has been updated somewhat, the food went downhill. First, service was slow. After ordering, things slowed down even more. A couple at a table near by called their wait person over and told them they waited over 30 minutes for their food (an egg omelet) and were leaving. Our food finally came. I ordered Mousaka. It was overcooked and the potatoes were so dried out, I couldn't cut them with a steak knife. Had to send it back. I settled for a chicken salad wrap, which was okay.

Apparently, there a problems in the kitchen which need to be addressed.

Reviewed 21 June 2015

A colleague wanted to meet at a place not too far out of the way and was easy to get to from his house in Union, so we settled on University. A midday, Saturday, lunch and it was pretty good. We sat up in the back by the window with a view of S. Elmora Ave. I did the turkey burger with fries it was pretty good. At the time we were there, it was not too loud or crazy and we were able to eat and work. The service was good and the diner is kept nice and clean. Very easy to get to and we were able to be seated right away. Overall, a nice experience.

Reviewed 12 January 2015

Although in the past my experiences with this diner have been good, recently there seems to be a change in the way customers are treated. Nasty personal remarks were made by a waitress to the point of rude actions. They took away our table while we were still consuming our meal They started to clear away our food while we were still eating and took away our plates. When I asked the receptionist, who was very nice, to reconcile the manner someone called out a man, whom I never saw before, and who claimed to be the "owner". He refused to give his name.. Without really hearing the complaint about the wrongness of this waitress, he threatened us to please his worker against us. Apparently the Diner has changed for the worst and I do not recommend anyone be exposed to this unpleasant situation and atmosphere.

Been to University Diner? Share your experiences!