“STANDARD CHINESE FARE”

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 November 2017

We were four of us on a Sunday with a reservation and the restaurant was empty when we reached there at noon. We were offered a table for 4 and I requested a round table which was flatly refused saying that it was only for 6 people. When we left the 5 round tables were still not occupied which proved that they had no reservations for six persons and they still denied me my comfort. Obviously they have no concept or concern to customer's needs and requests.

Food was standard Chinese a-la-carte fare and nothing to rave about after spending $65.00

Reviewed 15 November 2017 via mobile

Food was so-so. Service was terrible. They served a pot of barely warm tea. I asked for some hot tea. I ordered a hot and sour soup. It wasn’t hot. I sent it back 3 times. It’s cold out, I want my soup to be hot. Finally. As I’m halfway through my soup, clearly taking my time and having a leisurely lunch while catching up on some reading (it was 2pm so lunch crowds were gone and the place was pretty empty) they bring my main dish. Of course it was cold by the time I finished my soup and I was so annoyed I just got it to go. I tasted a bit and was not impressed, I’ll have to add some flavour to it when I heat it up at home.

Reviewed 14 November 2017

Our former go-to Cheng Du restaurants (1 and 46) are now both closed, so we decided to give Cheng Du 23 a try. I am glad we did. We sent on a Saturday night, and it was quite busy (recommend reservations for prime time); we ended up waiting, but the wait was well worth it. In spite of the busy night, the service was friendly, quick, and efficient (kudos to our server Sabrina). The food is far above the ordinary fare in local Chinese restaurants. There is a wide choice on the menu including a considerable number of specialty items. The Ma Po Tofu was terrific. I also enjoyed the beef slivers in green pepper and the Gung Bao Chicken (with a delightful smoky pepper flavor). It is a BYOB, and when the check arrived, we were pleasantly surprised at the inexpensive cost ($76) considering the amount of food we ordered (three appetizers and four entrees). We will definitely return to try other of the enticing items on the menu.

Reviewed 8 November 2017

Large lunch menu. with very reasonable prices. Nice roomy ambiance and excellent service. Will definitely return. And, P.S. Food was excellent.

Reviewed 21 October 2017

Cheng Du 23 is a stylish byob Chinese restaurant on the way into the Willowbrook Mall. We began with the steamed shrimp dumplings as an appetizer. They were light and steamed perfectly. My wife chose shrimp and vegetables in a brown sauce and I the sauteed scallops and shrimp with mushrooms, broccoli and snow peas in a spicy brown sauce. Portions were generous and the seafood fresh. There were a few negatives. Most Chinese restaurants place crispy noodles, duck sauce and mustard on your table as soon as you are seated, but we had to ask. The portion of rice that came with each dinner was small. Servers were too quick in clearing plates from the table. Our server took the steamed dumplings when there was still a dumpling in the steamer and she took plates away when one of us was still eating. The entrees came to the table almost immediately after the appetizers were cleared. They could take a bit more time between the appetizers and main course. They seemed to be in a rush to clear the table to turn it over quickly. The food was good, but they need to not be in such as rush to clear the table.

Been to Chengdu 23? Share your experiences!