“Craving good Chinese food”
Review of Chengdu 23

Chengdu 23
Ranked #8 of 177 Restaurants in Wayne
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 January 2018

My wife and I had a craving for some good chinese food like we used to get at Chengdu 46 but since they closed, we decided to go to Chengdu 23 in Wayne, NJ. That was a mistake. I ordered steamed dumplings which weren't too bad but followed with a heavenly chicken which was a huge serving but also had fat and chewy parts to the chicken so I could only eat a third of the plate. My wife had the peking duck, again able to eat very little due to it's lack of flavor. The end result of the horrific dinner was my wife in the bathroom all night. You can imagine why. We both agreed to never again visit this locale and felt compelled to let others know of the situation.

Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

The service was superb and the food was fresh and flavorful. Will come again. Perfect dinner after a long day of shopping in the willobrook

Reviewed 29 December 2017

We were in Manhattan for the day with friends, and stopped here on our way home on the recommendation of one of our friends. Interesting place; old favorites on the menu, but some new dishes I hadn't seen before at other Chinese restaurants. The service was friendly, but our meals came out at different times. However, the restaurant was busy, so they did their best. It was noisy; this isn't a cozy, quiet place. But I enjoyed the food and would eat here again if I were in the area.

Reviewed 28 November 2017

We were four of us on a Sunday with a reservation and the restaurant was empty when we reached there at noon. We were offered a table for 4 and I requested a round table which was flatly refused saying that it was only for 6 people. When we left the 5 round tables were still not occupied which proved that they had no reservations for six persons and they still denied me my comfort. Obviously they have no concept or concern to customer's needs and requests.

Food was standard Chinese a-la-carte fare and nothing to rave about after spending $65.00

Reviewed 15 November 2017 via mobile

Food was so-so. Service was terrible. They served a pot of barely warm tea. I asked for some hot tea. I ordered a hot and sour soup. It wasn’t hot. I sent it back 3 times. It’s cold out, I want my soup to be hot. Finally. As I’m halfway through my soup, clearly taking my time and having a leisurely lunch while catching up on some reading (it was 2pm so lunch crowds were gone and the place was pretty empty) they bring my main dish. Of course it was cold by the time I finished my soup and I was so annoyed I just got it to go. I tasted a bit and was not impressed, I’ll have to add some flavour to it when I heat it up at home.