“A very pleasant afternoon ride with Wine tasting ✅”
Review of Paradise Stables

Paradise Stables
More attraction details
Owner description: In Franschhoek, enjoy horse riding through vineyards, forests and over mountains.
Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

Truly an adventure, we did the 4 hour wine tasting ride.
4 hour on horseback when you haven’t ridden for a long time seems a bit daunting but the ride was great, we stopped a 2 lovely local winery and happily sipped wine
The horses were well behaved and happy to walk or gallop if pushed.
My backside felt a little sore after but hey it’s all part of the fun.
The owner and the staff are experts, so relax and enjoy the ride.

All reviews
in 23 reviews
"beginners"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 25 October 2017 via mobile

I had a lovely time riding in Franschhoek with Paradise Stables.
Their Arabian horses are beautiful and well trained.
I was guided by Jonathan that is very friendly and knowledgeable about the area.
The scenery was beautiful, my horse was very well behaved.
As an experienced rider, we did some trot and a bit of canter between the vines which was fantastic!
I will cherish the memory!

1  Thank Ludivine C
Reviewed 11 October 2017

We arrived at Paradise and experienced a hearty and hospitable welcome from Pieter, the 5th generation of his family in the Franschhoek Valley and who has long experience of endurance riding so he knows his horses!
I am am a novice rider whilst my wife is experienced but I did not expect to have my 'hand held' which was the right approach. You get on and ride, on well trained horses in fantastic and varied terrain with 2 stops at vineyards for sampling vino or coffee. Thank you to Jonathan our ride leader who was a caring and very experienced rider.
If you are used to the old GB pampered, restricted way of schooled riding then you may be in for a shock with this adventurous ride. I got on a horse first time only 2 weeks before at a similar riding venue to Paradise, also in South Africa, and was playing a game of Polo-lacrosse on horseback the 3rd evening! That is the African way to learn to ride but if you are faint hearted then stay at home; otherwise have a great time at Paradise Stables.
We would visit again without hesitation.

1  Thank Peter C
Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

We were so excited for this ride and it was the top of our 'to do' list in Franshhoek.
But as soon as we arrived at the farm, rustic, with reason, I felt a little uneasy.

Our guide was wonderful, incredibly helpful, friendly and wanted us to enjoy the experience.
Apart from this, the owner, who greeted us on arrival just wanted us on the horses and out and made sure we signed the disclaimer.

We were asked to mount and I asked if we could have a helmet first before mounting. 'Oh yes, sure...'

My husband is a complete novice, I'm experienced and have a horse at home, so was happy to have a relaxed walk if need be because of my husbands skills, but the owner kept saying to him, oh a canter is easier than a trot. Yes... I agree. But when you know what you're doing! Not with a novice who can't even hold reins at the right length or control the horse.
There was no introduction to basic riding skills for my husband and the owner just said to me. If you're used to riding a schooled horse, this is completely different. No clues as to how I should ride this horse differently though!
Health & Safety missed this place.

I was a bit concerned to learn that the grey horse I was riding was 24 or so years old and before mounting, looking at her condition, asked whether I was too heavy. To which the owner replied no. I'm 80kg and to be honest I'm so sad I didn't protest and say I wouldn't ride at that point.

So we head out..... and the guide asks us to trot. Husband says 'how?', guide 'kick the horse'...
I mean, the horse was pretty respectful of his rider, but kind of walked where we wanted and my husband didn't have much directional control, so I thought 2 mins out of the stables asking him to trot was ambitious. But the good thing was he found a good rhythm and even got a good rising trot going on, which made the whole
experience have a positive light.

Sadly at this time I could feel that my mare stumbling and could feel that she was lame from the saddle. She was swinging her neck to one side as she limped through the trot. I told the guide and he said he could see something, then asked me to go in front, then said it looked better and maybe I needed to ride her harder.
We continued for another 10mins and me and my husband said we would use the rain (now getting heavier) as an excuse that we wanted to go back, because we knew the horse was lame.
Riding a elderly, lame horse was too heartbreaking.
The guide agreed to go back but was really worried that the owner would tell him the horse was fine. We kept insisting it was the rain, so that he wouldn't get in trouble.

When we got back, of course, owner says the horse is fine, without even looking, touching, or trotting her up. Barely looks at her walking in the stable, let alone inspecting her and that's that.
He said maybe she had a stone in her shoe.
I'm not silly. The poor horse was too old to have my weight on her back and she was clearly lame!

We paid for half the time and kept it friendly, because the owner seemed a bit of a racist tyrant. We couldn't believe it that he was saying to us that 'if they're going to have black people on the phone at your hotel reception, then they should make sure that they can speak English'. Then went on to say more racist comments, all in front of his 3 black stable hands, standing next to him. I tried to change the subject because I felt so uncomfortable and upset with his language.

We told our hotel about the experience and the manager there also commented that the guy is a bit special and the horses are pretty skinny and over worked at times. He said the horses often do two sessions a day of wine tours and the guy is making a great living from it at 850 R per person, so he can afford to keep his horses in better condition.

For the welfare of the horses I wouldn't recommend to use this stables.

7  Thank GypsyGirl27