“Olive oil tasting is a must”

Morgenster Wine Farm
Reviewed 12 April 2017 via mobile

We came here years ago and wanted to try again. Was still amazing this time around! We tried the oils and bought a few bottles for back home. Even got 2 jars of olives to enjoy in SA. Tip: get a table on the terrace for the wonderful views!

There are newer reviews for Morgenster Wine Farm

Reviewed 16 February 2017 via mobile

My wife and I chose different collections to try and we were duly served with five glasses each with a separate wine and a jug of water and water glasses. We were taken through our individual selections by a young women and we were impressed with the effort they put in (we were at Kleine Zalze earlier in the week and when a group of four arrived they were told they would have to have the same four wines! - Morgenster clearly values the client more.) My only critical point - and to be honest it applies to virtually all (if not all) wineries is that you are told that the wine tastes of pencil shavings/gooseberries/apricot/heather/liquorice/etc... with 15 or more sensations which I suspect goes over most of our heads, particularly with the blends, easier to identify single cultivars and their characteristics. Overall a good experience and we left with a couple of bottles swathed in bubble wrap to take back to the UK tomorrow!

Reviewed 8 February 2017

Wine tasting is a favourite past-time. To that add olive oil tasting. A selection of 5 olive oils, followed by a wine tasting, all produced on the farm, and introduced by the informative assistant, who shared his enthusiasm for food and wine.
Set in exquisite surroundings with spectacular views, the terrace overlooking the dam was an ideal venue.

Reviewed 6 February 2017

I tasted some of the Morgenster wines at an Italian restaurant in Wilderness on a recent visit. I was very impressed and decided to visit the farm. We visited Morgenster on Saturday 4 February. We booked a table at the restaurant and wanted to do a wine tasting beforehand. When we arrived there was a tour group leaving and it seemed that all the staff was busy wrapping the few bottles of wine purchased by die group. After standing around for a few minutes, we helped ourselves to a list of the wines. After another couple of minutes, we asked if we could do a tasting and took a seat inside. We were given water, gave our selection and was told that someone will help us shortly. Probably 5 minutes after that, another group of 4 entered. I think the one gentleman was a tour guide and known to the staff. The lady who we were waiting on to do our tasting, went to greet him and immediately started to organise their tasting. That I have to say was the last straw. We got up to leave to go the restaurant, when we indicated to her that we were waiting for almost 20 minutes, she just stated she was short 2 staff members. I believe that indicates that she was the manager. Overall we experienced no hospitality and zero service at the winetasting center. Quite irritated we went over to the restaurant - and I have to say, they made our day. The lady who welcomed us was very friendly and professional, the service was faultless, the food great and the wines amazing. I can really recommend the Tosca. We bought some wine afterwards - I think by saying "so you did not get around to your tasting" was meant as a halfhearted excuse. Morgenster is a wonderful farm with lots to offer - it just seems that the winetasting centre and staff is not up to the standard a farm like that should be.

Reviewed 31 December 2016 via mobile

We have visited the other wine farms up the road from Morgenster on various occasions and somehow managed to overlook this gem The wine and olive oil tasting was delicious , as well as very informative and enjoyable . The olives and other olive products are excellent and well worth the visit and its own . The wine has a distinct Italian flavour to it , making this wine tasting a lot different that most other wine farms in the Western Cape