“Excellent food, huge portions”
Review of Giovanni's

Giovanni's
Ranked #3 of 142 Restaurants in Somerset West
Price range: US$8 - US$13
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: No matter how infrequently you visit, you will always be greeted like a regular.
Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

We started with the Melanzani which we shared and enjoyed very much. The prawns A La Scampi was enormous, lots of prawns, peas and a wonderful coating sauce which, as promised, had a real chilli kick (not too much, just delicious). The Osso Bucco was also very large, very authentic, lots of sauce and served in a frying pan (as was the Prawns a la Scampi) and a large bowl of tagliatelle with very hot plates to eat from. Highly recommended , Staff very pleasant and helpful

Write a ReviewReviews (1,160)

Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

After a hard day at the Somerset Beer Festival where we had drank up an appetite we decided to visit Giovanni’s. We were warmly welcomed and allocated a table for six without any fuss or bother. We were well looked after and did not have to wait to long for our meal.
The portions were very generous especially the Spaghetti Bolognaise. We had various meals and they were all delicious.
The service was very good and efficient but the waiter could have been friendlier, he must have been having a bad day as for the hour and a half we were there he never smiled.
The restaurant was lovely, clean, and toilets were well serviced.

Reviewed 12 February 2018

I went to Giovanni's for lunch un Monday februari 12th 2018.

The grilled liver with bacon and onions I ordered was so thin, overcooked and tough that I sent it back to the kitchen because the slices, served in a frying pan, had more resemblance to the soles of my shoes than to anything edible.

After taking it back to the kitchen, they brought me a new portion, that was as tough and overcooked as the first version so I sent that back to the chef as well.

In the mean time my companion who had ordered one of their pizza's, had to ask for a receptacle after eating a few slices, because she felt sick. Her face all of a sudden turned green and right then and there she vomited at the table in front of me!

Of course she felt terribly embarrassed and ashamed but the staff didn't bat an eye...
The four servers on duty didn't pay much attention to any of their guests anyway, preferring to chat to each other.

My lunch at Giovanni's was the worst experience in a restaurant in Somerset West that I have ever had.

So, if you want my advice: Don't even think of going there. Their food is Zum Kotzen (the German expression for 'will make you throw up)!

2  Thank Fonnetje
Reviewed 5 February 2018

Four of us had supper including risotto, (always a risk but excellent),large tasty thin crust pizzas and a pasta. All praise no complaints. A well structured Italian menu with the basics plus. Month end made this open mall restaurant noisy and the generous free parking a bit of a challenge. The service was excellent and not obsequious and given the nature of the menu the food arrived at a reasonable pace. Would happily return

Reviewed 23 January 2018

Easy to get to and on a prominent corner in this shopping mall. Good service by friendly, helpful and knowledgeable staff. Food was excellent. Highly recommended.