“One of the best fine dining restaurants in Bali”

Kura Kura Restaurant
Ranked #154 of 620 Restaurants in Seminyak
Price range: US$12 - US$40
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 7 July 2017

They have a German Chef. Did not get to meet him so I don't know his name. But boy, he knows his stuff and seems to really enjoy cooking. Seems Indian cooking is the primary focus and I must say, its just fantastic. But on another night we ordered a more simple Roast Spring Chicken for 2 - it was amazing. I think the best Spring Chicken I have ever eaten. This guy knows how to cook, and then can't help giving you some of his starters an puddings, on the house, to taste what he loves to do. I definitely recommend this restaurant. Top notch, without a doubt. Then of course the setting, Open air, right on the Seminayak beach and the within the grounds of one of the best hotels in Bali - Oberoi.

Reviewed 14 June 2017 via mobile

We treated ourselves to dinner at our resort restaurant one night. The tables were set up for fine dining - and we were not disappointed.

From the amuse bouche, to the delicious complimentary bread and excellent wine list, the start of our evening was first class.

And then the food...

My wife enjoyed a significant size sashimi dish (with warm sake) and I had the yellow fin entree. Both were mouth watering.

The main offerings come in three categories - Indian, Indonesian and western. There was also a significant vegetarian section.

The food arrived among a myriad of condiments and supplemental tastes, all of which were spectacular. I had the tandoori prawns and my wife had a taste of vegetable textures.

Everything worked - and the food was augmented by the always wonderful service we have come to expect at the Oberoi. And it was quite a full house as well. (Can anyone explain why a couple who have spent a lot of money on a meal would spend most of the night on their phone?)

Chef came out for a chat which was a nice touch.

A great treat for a special occasion.

1  Thank gdpo
Reviewed 6 May 2017

Went for dinner, understated resort restaurant, spacious and airy. Beautiful location and quiet. Exceptional grub. Lovely wine. Reasonably priced for the quality. Romantic but relaxed ambience. Attentive staff. Could definitely get used to it.

Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed lunch at the Oberoi Hotel at the Frangipani Cafe located overlooking Seminyak Beach . The views are outstanding & mixed with the colourful parasols & beautiful Balinese gardens makes a absolutely delightful setting for lunch.

We ordered the set menu which was basically a three course meal. It was a little heavy for us for lunchtime but it was tasty especially the pasta dish.

Overall - delightful setting with beautiful ocean views. Excellent menu for lunch.

The Frangipani Cafe is not listed on TA so unfortunately my review is apart of the Kura Kura restaurant which is all apart of the Oberoi Hotel.

2  Thank Ellemay
Reviewed 17 February 2017

Due to weather restrictions in February, we ate all of our breakfasts at the Kura Kura Restaurant, as the Frangipani Cafe was closed. Breakfast dining at its finest and two dinners as well. A better than average dining experience. We noticed that outsiders coming to the restaurant had no directional signs to show them the way to go and they would often linger in the lobby waiting to find out. I suggest that better signage is supplied by the Oberoi, so that outside customers can get to the Kura Kura Restaurant there without explanation. We had an American Breakfast included in our room tariff, but we were able to choose anything on the menu, each morning. We took photos of some of the meals, though most were normal breakfast fare and not noteworthy, but all delicious. On our last night, we had our final dinner and that is well documented here. The service was always warm, friendly and helpful, despite some breakfast discrepancies with trainee staff and incorrect dishes, but overcome with holiday expediency and "she'll be right mate" diplomacy, on my part. The food was generally excellent. In a main dinner experience, we would expect to receive a chef's taster plate at the commencement of the meal and petite fours at the end of the meal with our coffee or tea. For our mains, I chose the 24 Hour cooked, Beef Cheek ($42.50) with green beans, chive bulbs and mashed potatoes, my wife chose a selection of Sashimi ($29.50), my brother ordered the glazed Yellow Fin Tuna ($46.00) with Udon noodles, ginger, avocado and crispy Nori and my sister-in-law chose Spaghetti Con Gamberetti ($36.50) Angel Hair Pasta and Prawns. Most were beautiful to view and taste, though my beef cheek appeared as a slab of meat on a plate of mashed potato and had a fair amount of fat, so, as it was my first beef cheek ever, I was not overtaken with pleasure, eating it. I wouldn't have it again. Others were very pleased with the appearance and taste of their mains and the desserts which were shown on a separate menu, changing seasonally. We shared a Passionfruit Tart and a Coconut Panna Cotta served in a coconut shell, both were exquisite. I drank a glass of Balinese Shiraz ($11.00) made from Australian grapes grown in Bali, which I enjoyed.The others drank Italian sparking mineral water.
On our final meal, we were offered the petite fours after we had completed our meal, which wasn't really acceptable. Expensive dining in Bali, highly recommended, nonetheless.

1  Thank MWandAW