El Meson Lodge
Branding Iron Motel(Chama)(Great Value!)
US$105
US$114
US$104
Elkhorn Lodge Chama(Chama)(Great Value!)
US$102
San Juan Motel(Pagosa Springs)
US$120
US$116
First Inn of Pagosa(Pagosa Springs)
US$89
Hotels.com
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 October 2015

We chose to stay at El Meson Lodge while in Chama for the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad. It is just a couple miles from town and the railroad. Our room was your basic standard-issue motel room, the most important fact being that it was clean, comfortable, and reasonable. The tight bathroom had a couple minor quirks but it was clean and serviceable. As others have mentioned, the Lodge is oddly located. It sits fairly far from the road and is situated perpendicular to it, so it is very easy to pass by. There is an RV park connected to it and the Chama River is a pleasant short stroll in back. The location would be OK if only the signage on the road was rethought. Currently alongside the road is one of those large portable moveable-letters signs with tacky flashing lights. A couple neighboring establishments have these as well. A better sign would not only serve to make the Lodge easier to find, but it would greatly enhance the tone of the place. I may sound like I'm splitting hairs here but I am sure it would be to the benefit of the business.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travelin_Bear
Reviewed 11 September 2015

We have stayed here for a holiday weekend almost every year for many years. The staff is very friendly and make us feel at home. They have recently remodeled many of the rooms to make them more comfortable. The rooms are basic and clean. There is WiFi. The lodge is set back from the road so it is quieter, and it is near the river, where you can fish. Outside the grounds is a small cafe, and a fruit and vegetable stand. There are also RV and camping sites on the property on the other side of the parking lot. It is on the southern edge of town but only a few minutes from the grocery market and the rest of the town activities. They have a large common room upstairs with kitchen that can be reserved for a group for an extra charge. The entrance is easy to miss, as the sign saying "El Meson" is small, so look for the driveway just past the fruit stand tent and before the cafe on the west side of the main highway through town at the far south end of town.

Room Tip: Ask for a remodeled room if available.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Thank you, Ernesto and Rose for offering a comfortable place to rest our heads after a couple of planning meetings in Chama for an event held last week in memory of our son. The rooms were spacious and clean and comfortable. The hotel is nestled in a beautiful mountain setting--so quiet and peaceful. The volunteers who stayed there during the event were just as happy--great value!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Lawrence V
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I have stayed here several times in the past and had reasonable experiences. This one is turning out different.

First, the Lodge is being remodeled from front to back and top to bottom. That's good... except they didn't tell me this when I booked. "We didn't want to disappoint you" by turning you away. Well - I'm still disappointed. When I first arrived I couldn't get anyone to the front desk to check me in. I left the premises and returned in 15 minutes. The owner finally came to the front (apparently napping in the back). The room I'd reserved (king bed) was being worked on, so he offered my two queens instead. Ok - not a big deal. Then, his wife is out of town so no charges or checkin paperwork until she returns. Sigh... this is getting old.

Next, there is no television lineup card in the room and none available at the front desk when I asked. "Other customers always destroy them and I haven't put any more out for this year." And, of course, the cable provider is an 'off' company so I couldn't even look the card up on the Internet. Additionally, I had to ask to have the heat turned on in the room (the owner overrode the "automatic controls" because it's warm enough that I shouldn't need it. I'm a wuss and prefer a warm room at night, so I need it!

Finally, one of the beds had stained sheets (so I slept in the other one).

That said, this Lodge would be pleasant enough otherwise. The room was clean and reasonably furnished. All the rooms are non-smoking and the area is treed and pleasant. The price is hard to beat in this area at any time of year. The owners are working to bring this place up to above-average accommodations (especially for this area). They just aren't serving their customers well in the process.

I'll probably give these folks another opportunity when I'm next in the area, but if they fail me then, they'll be off my list of acceptable accommodations in the Chama area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Alan R
Reviewed 3 February 2014

The folks who run el meson were very nice and the room was super clean. It was warm, there was a microwave and a mini fridge, a couch, tv, table and chairs... Great value, I think the cheapest place in town.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple