“The taste of home cooking”

Socorro's Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Hernandez
Price range: US$1 - US$14
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Description: we are located 5 miles north of Espanola on the highway to Chama.. we are a family run restaurant. we offer patio seating, private parties and catering
Reviewed 8 September 2016

I've eaten here several times and each time was delicious. I love the feel of this place - it makes you comfortable like you are a regular here. Nothing fancy, nothing dirty - just a good honest cafe like I remember going into as a kid (who knows I may have traveling through to Espanola and beyond on family vacations) Or maybe it's the friendly staff. One lady reminds me of my grandmother by her presence and actions.

The enchiladas christmas style were true New Mexican heaven. Both the red and green chile had perfect heat and a great depth of flavor. The salsa is top notch as well. As I write this from 645 miles to the east my stomach is aching for another plate...

Reviewed 28 July 2016 via mobile

I was driving back from a camping trip and passed through Hernandez on my way to my next destination. I saw the sign and thought, this looks like a really neat place. I turned around on the highway and parked my car. Once inside, I knew I had hit pay dirt.

The walls are decorated with Hispano religious icons, photos of low riders, and family memorabilia. The huevos rancheros were delicious with a perfectly hot green Chile. The service is attentive, and good coffee to boot. This is Northern New Mexico at its most authentic.

Socorro H, Manager at Socorro's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2016

Thank you its people that make our jobs great we hope to see you again

Reviewed 7 July 2016 via mobile

This is a family restaurant. No alcohol. Very clean. We walked in and seated ourselves and a server came over to give us menus and get our drink order.
An older señora came by each table and treated everyone like they were family and old friends.
I love the fried tortillas that came with meal. I had the red pork dish and added the green chile sauce at the server's suggestion.
The restroom,although shared, was absolutely spotless!
We had a 40' RV with long car trailer and there was just enough space for it. Hubby had to back in some.
We come this way each year so will stop in again. We liked the familia atmosphere. Loved the red and green sauces!

Reviewed 22 June 2016

The restaurant has a "down home" feel. The food was authentic and tasty. I had the beans and chili. It came with a delish tortilla. I also go the chance to taste the green chili stew - which I highly recommend. There were large sized chunks of meat, potato, and green chili.

Reviewed 5 June 2016

Authentic New Mexican food, very friendly service. The locals love this place for good reason. Hernandez is a small community near Española, made famous by the Ansel Adams 1941 photograph "Moonrise over Hernandez."

1  Thank jennie771