“Good wines, poor welcome”

Rio Grande Vineyards and Winery
Ranked #5 of 13 things to do in Mesilla
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 1 July 2017

This was our first time here and we were brought by 2 friends that had been here before. They had been telling us of their wonderful experience, to say the least the experience was NOT repeated. The prices were good and we got the 5 tastings for 5 dollars, the wines were tasty BUT the host was terrible. He acted as if we were bothering him. He rushed us though our selections telling us very little about the wines. We were afraid to ask questions as he did not seem to want anything to do with us. We were the only people in the tasting room and if this was his attitude with others I can understand why. Would have purchased some wine but instead walked away and went to another winery. Need a new face for this winery before we will return. Very dissapointed.

4  Thank CJ J
riograndewinery, Owner at Rio Grande Vineyards and Winery, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

I am truly sorry that you did not have a grand experience while at my establishments! Unfortunately I can not control my employees while not there but rest assured that I review all complaints and address each as needed. Try and come back and not let this unpleasant experience leave such a distasteful impression of me and my buisness! At anytime you are not satisfied with one of my servers ask for me the owner (Gordon). Oh by the way the individual referenced is no longer employed here thank you for you input!

Reviewed 27 June 2017

Was met, if you want to call it that, by a person dressed inappropriately for being a server of your winery. We felt like we were bothering him for the sampling of wines, and had to ask twice for the cheese plate. When we finally got our glasses for the 5 tastes of wine, he tried to hurry us along, so he could play/do whatever with his phone. We had previously visited the winery before and was greeted by a very nice young lady, who made our visit very pleasant, and we walked away with 2 cases of wine. Forget our most recent visit and don't know if we will go back.

5  Thank USTWO4251

Reviewed 24 January 2017

We had visited this winery 2 years ago and become part of their "wine club" we liked it so much on our first visit. We liked it so much in fact, that when we returned to Las Cruces/Mesilla, we took "the parents" there. They loved it. Gordon, the owner, did our wine tasting personally and gave such a great history and wine lesson, that made everyone feel like a wine expert afterward. The thing I like most about this winery is that all of the wines are delicious! Sincerely, all of them! You know how you go to wineries and try wines and you're like, "yeah that one was ok," or "I didn't really like that one." NONE of the wines are bad at this winery - THEY ARE ALL DELICIOUS!

1  Thank gcbmoh
Reviewed 16 January 2017

This was our first stop when we visited Las Cruces and was slightly disappointed in the visit. You could do a $5 or $10 tasting. My husband and I started out with the $5 one and when we realized we were going over the quantity for that we said we would do a $10. We shared our tasting and truly did not even meet the number for a $10 because we selectively tasted the sweet wines. The biggest disappointment was two fold and it is partially our fault for not mentioning it but they charged us for two $10 tastings which was not accurate. The second disappointment was that in any other winery we have gone to, did tastings and bought several bottles of wine, they wave the tasting cost. This was not the case here. Instead we were charged an additional $20 for the tastings bringing our total to almost $100 for four bottles of wine.

1  Thank Beaglesx4
Reviewed 4 August 2016

This is one of the best vineyards and winery I've ever been to. New Mexico seems like an unlikely place to find good wine, but I'd read somewhere once that all 50 states in the US produce wine, so when I found myself in New Mexico for work-related purposes, I was eager to find some local wines. I wanted to spend some time in the Las Cruces area, so I looked up a winery and found this place!

When you arrive you'll notice how beautiful the vineyards are, and the winery itself is no different. Admittedly, the wait for service was a little long, as there was only one bartender working the Sunday afternoon that I dropped in. That day, there was live music and no shortage of older patrons on the patio drinking wine and local beer, so you can imagine that the bartender certainly had his hands full! At any rate, the owner, a retired Airman, came in and helped out, and that really got things going. As for me, I decided to do a tasting--$10 for ten wines and a souvenir glass. (You can also taste five wines for $5 if there aren't ten you'd like to try or if you don't want a souvenir glass.) I choose to taste sweet wines, but if that's not your thing, not to worry--their wine list is IMPRESSIVE. There was certainly no shortage of dry wines on the menu. There were some interesting varietals that I hadn't come across frequently in the past, so that was lots of fun. At the end of my tasting, I wanted to take home about half of the wines I tasted, but given that I was traveling, I had to pare down my choices to just two which was hard! LOL But the owner was kind and indicated that my tasting would be free since I'd purchased two bottles which were reasonably priced at about $15 to $18 each. Now, I didn't notice this advertised anywhere, so I'm not sure if he was simply being nice or if this is a regular thing. I, personally, enjoyed the wines so much I would have gladly paid the entire amount. :) Anyway, as others have mentioned, they do ship to some states, so there's always the possibility of getting more wine without having to come all the way back to New Mexico if you're from far away like I am.

A few other things... When you come to visit Rio Grande to do a tasting, make sure you've got about an hour. Unlike a lot of places where you more or less stand at the bar, sip, scribble down a note or two, and move on to the next one, it may take a few minutes between wines, and the owner certainly likes to hear what you thought about the wine. During your tasting, you may want to purchase a bottle of water and ask for a cup to rinse your glass into, as I didn't notice any rinsing stations. Also, you may want to bring a piece of paper and a pen so you can make notes about what you tasted and what you liked. Unlike other wineries I've been to, they didn't provide a wine list for you to jot down your thoughts on.

Overall, I really enjoyed my visit to this winery and regret that I don't live closer. I've been to wineries in Ontario, Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina, and this is by far one of my favorites.

4  Thank Dez P