“Wonderful Burger”

Chala’s Wood Fire
Ranked #7 of 15 Restaurants in Mesilla
Reviewed 30 December 2017

Found this place online, decided to give it a shot when the reviews talked about a burger with thick cut bacon, made in house. WONDERFUL! The A Mountain Burger was Cooked just right, great bun, bacon was to die for, fries were seasoned and cooked perfectly. Really nice draft beer selection, and the fresh baked German Chocolate cake was just a good as Mama used to make at home! Good value, great service by Eufrasia, and the rest of the team.

Reviewed 24 December 2017 via mobile

We had been traveling a long day so take that into consideration with this review.

We wanted to try some local food rather than a chain and selected this place based on reviews here on TripAdvisor. There are several things that are a bit negative to me.

Parking is very limited. We almost left because there was no place to park and yet this was a late night dinner stop for us. The place wasn’t super crowded but it is a small place. The bathroom is located out the back door and in a spectate building. (Another somewhat negative to me). The ability to see in the kitchen was another negative to me as one cook was getting something out of his teeth and another cleaned his ear. My prayers were that both would wash!!!
Not sure about the wood fire with anything we ordered.

Our meal was okay but again not what I expected. Kind of so-so for Mexican food. I had the recommended pastor burrito a mix of sweet and spicy with pineapple and it was a bit spicy and I didn’t notice the pineapple much yet also dry on the outside, plain flour tortilla. My husbands hamburger was ok the side salad was pretty small. My don’t fajita burrito was ok. It was more American Mexican than authentic Mexican. My photo doesn’t look like others I had seen either.

Reviewed 12 November 2017

Never been here, knew nothing about it. We loved it. Great tasting food, menu not overwhelming but plenty of selections. Priced right. Our waitress was simply outstanding. Family of six, everyone loved it. Good location, park across the street. Live music outside really cool.

Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

Imagine, if you can, a small bowl made from corn meal. Fill it with luscious beef chunks in a savory sauce covered with melted cheese. Add to that a fresh salad made of lettuce and tomatoes. Stop there if you want a light lunch, add rice and beans if you're hungry. This was what I had for lunch, by far the best meal I've had on this week long trip. To prove it wasn't just a fluke my sister had an equally delicious turkey sandwich while my wife had a delightful quinoa and bean salad. Everyone was well pleased. This is Chala's in Mesilla a family run restaurant full of happy people eating lovingly prepared food.

Reviewed 15 October 2017

Our server Adam was very pleasant to interact with, friendly, helpful and efficient.

My wife had a steak and was able to get double vegetables instead of potatoes and her salad was very fresh and delicious.

Writing this several weeks later, I don't remember what I had but remember it was very good.