All reviews kings camp plunge pool our honeymoon bedtime stories watering hole fleece lined ponchos safari experience sabi sands south africa perfect holiday every meal anti poaching second stop amazing wildlife private game reserve baby leopards exceeded all expectations
Reviewed 12 June 2018 via mobile

Rooms are lovely with deck and plunge pool outside. Beautiful view from our room and main dining room. Looks like a movie set.... landscape from main common building is large with rolling hills and water hole. Can watch animals in the distance. Had Johan, as driver and Walter , was the tracker. Leopard Hills is one of 7 private game reserves. Driving from airstrip area looks like a movie set with wild animals. First safari drive we followed a leopard. Our first night had a “boma”. An outdoor dinner. Food, at each meal was delicious. Staff was very attentive and helpful.
It was my husband and my anniversary and we had a private dinner in the library with a cake and bubbles for dessert. Very lovely and sweet of them to do. The driver eats dinner with you each night, but at our anniversary dinner we ate with our group of 6.
Johan was very knowledgeable and a terrific driver. Following and positioning the vehicle so we could see baby leopards, spotted hyenas eating a dead elephant, being surrounded by elephants... magical. Walter was great, he was able to find and see things in trees and bushes, at night and day.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
Duncan R, General Manager at Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2018

Thank you LeeMahwah for the very gracious Review of your experiences at Leopard Hills. I am very pleased that such a special occasion in your lives was enjoyed so much.

Johan and Walter send their best Regards to you, and we hope to see you back with us in the Bush for further Celebrations.

Reviewed 24 May 2018

Four friends traveled on this trip arranged by RhinoAfrica. We stayed at a total of 4 camps in South Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana. Leopard Hill was our second stop. Leopard Hills is a part of a group of camps managed by Seasons in Africa. If you stay at more than one of their camps you may be able to get a discounted rate (we got 6 nights for the price of 5).

Staff- the staff did an outstanding job attending to our every need and making us feel welcome. We were greeted on arrival at the lodge and return from each game drive. We had an early morning departure to the airport for our flight to Victoria Falls. Our guide and others made a special effort to see us off.

Grounds - well maintained overlooking water hole. Elephant, rhino, wildebeest, impala, water buffalo and hippo were seen at the water hole during our stay. Pool. Bar. Indoor and outdoor dining. Exercise room. Gift shop. Library.

Accommodations – The air-conditioned room was well appointed with snacks, best wet bar of our two week safari, coffee maker, comfortable bed, seating area, outdoor patio and furniture, private pool. Stationary, envelopes and postcards were provided. The bathroom had a tub with bath salts, indoor and outdoor shower and toiletries. Laundry was complimentary. Leopard Hills ball caps and water bottles were provided for each guest.
After dark we were escorted to and from our rooms as animals roam freely on the property. I saw kudu, warthogs and elephant from my room. In fact while I was sitting on my deck elephants visited for a drink from my plunge pool.

Meals – Excellent variety, exceptionally prepared, well presented. Themed dinners included a Boma. One evening we were treated to a private dinner in the library. I particularly enjoyed the opportunity to dine with our guide some evenings. We had the opportunity to do that at all of our South African camps. Dining with our guides was not offered at the camps we stayed at in Zimbabwe or Botswana. At breakfast and lunch we were entertained by monkeys trying to steal our bread. We did have a communication problem regarding breakfast the morning of our departure. That issue did not overshadow the rest of our stay.

Game drives – Wake up knock on door an hour before the morning game drive. The vehicles seat 6. We had our own vehicle for all but one drive. The vehicles were clean and well maintained. There were pockets in front of each seat and storage bins between seats for blankets. Morning drives included a stop for beverages and snacks. Hot chocolate with Amarula is my personal favorite. Afternoon drives included a stop for sundowner and snacks. Some in our group developed an appreciation for gin and tonic. The vehicle was stocked with our choice of beverages. Wildlife is accustomed to vehicles. Our encounters were much closer than I anticipated. Nigel and Ronald were our guide and tracker. Nigel was enthusiastic and informative. Ronald was attentive and soft spoken. There was good communication between the guides at Leopard Hills and neighboring camps. This communication allowed us to have some special viewing opportunities. One morning we ended our game drive with a bush walk back to camp.

Sightings - big 5 both full days we were there. As might be expected from the name of the lodge we had many leopard sightings. In total we saw 5 different adult leopards and 2 leopard cubs. We also witnessed leopards mating and a leopard on kill. Other sightings included a cheetah on kill, hippo, crocodile, multiple types of antelope, warthog, vervet monkeys ,wildebeest, zebra, giraffe including a baby so young that its umbilical cord was still attached, multiple birds of prey and other bird species. I’m sure that there are many others that I have forgotten.

Photos included with this review were taken by my traveling companions and are posted with their permission.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
Duncan R, General Manager at Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2018

Your comprehensive and complimentary Review is really appreciated. I am very pleased you had an abundance of Game Viewing, and as you mention, the Leopard sightings never cease to amaze.

Always a special experience when Elephants visit the Private Plunge Pools, thank you for sharing the pictures.

We hope to see you back with us in the not too distant future.

Regards from all the Team at Leopard Hills.

Reviewed 12 May 2018 via mobile

We just returned from 4 days at this magical camp and I’m already missing it terribly! I cannot say enough about Duncan and his outstanding staff who took wonderful care of us throughout our stay and made us feel so welcome. Special shout outs to Steve, Neville, Talent and Jacques for keeping us so well fed! Our guide Nigel and tracker Ronnie made every game drive an exciting experience and just when we thought they couldn’t top themselves, they always did. They somehow managed to have us at the right place at exactly the right time for unbelievable sightings! The accommodations were amazing and the service second to none! I would highly recommend this camp if you’re going to Sabi Sands and I hope I get to return someday.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
Duncan R, General Manager at Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2018

You have absolutely made my day, it is so appreciated that you have taken the time to give us such a fantastic Review. We really enjoyed you Company, and look forward to the day we can welcome you back to Leopard Hills.

In the meantime, have a fantastic day, and warm Regards from all the Leopard Hills Team.

Reviewed 30 April 2018

the bad. almost every meal was served incorrectly , not what or how we ordered. sometimes the Food took over an hour to come. our room had 3 big disgusting stains in the rug. We did not know if ir was monkey urine or what. When the person showed us to our room nothing was said about the stains. we were with 2 other couples. none of the 6 of us could figure out how to use the phone, which should have been explained when shown the room. NO MANAGEMENT WAS PRESENT no one ever introduced them selves as management. TheGood - safari drives guide, tracker were fantastic
Good- our guide and safari drives were fantastic.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DANIEL E
Duncan R, General Manager at Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2018

Thank you, Daniel E, for your review, albeit a little disappointing to hear that you had some issues during your stay with us. I am also a little surprised at this feedback, as your comment in the Guest Comments book on departure was, “great game viewing and friendly Staff”. Indeed, looking back at the Reviews from our other Guests who were in Camp at the same time as yourselves, we received high ratings on all aspects of the Lodge.
I really do not like replying to such feedback in an open forum and would much rather have had an opportunity to discuss this directly with you, however, I do feel that such a harsh review put out in the public domain, needs a response from us, as there are always two sides to situation.
Firstly, and very importantly, along with many of the Leopard Hills Team, I have had the privilege of being part of building this Lodge and running it for the last 20 years. This Lodge is not about me and has not operate so successfully over the years because of me, it is 100% a Team effort. As you state in your Review, I was away from the Lodge on business during your stay, but this does not mean the Lodge was “unmanaged”. We have an extremely talented Team of people who have committed years of Service to Leopard Hills, and a Team who I trust implicitly. I find it hard to accept your comment that no Management was present, as I have been informed you had numerous dealing with our Assistant General Manager during your stay. We are not particularly big on titles here, and everyone is as important as the next person, and there are always well experienced Team Members on hand to deal with any questions and issues you may have had during your stay with us.
I would like to discuss the issue you had with stains on your carpet. As you are fully aware, your arrival to us was delayed by a day, as we were experiencing exceptional late rains and localized flooding. As a result of this, a couple of our Suites experienced a few leeks through the thatched roof, and this resulted in a couple of damp patches on the rug in your Suite. Once you had brought this to Receptions attention, they immediately offered to remove the rug for you.
Regarding the issue with the telephone, I am a little confused as you phoned Reception to ask how to use the phone. Part of the Suite orientation is to discuss the number to be dialed for Reception should there be anything you should require.
I apologies if you feel the food service took too long and you didn’t always receive what you ordered. Our Team of waiting Staff under the leadership of Steve and Trust are always on hand during meal times, and I have not had a complaint regarding Service Standards here, but as always, we try to strive to always better our standards, thank you for the feedback. However, going into the kitchen and screaming and swearing at the Service Staff, did not overly help the situation, and was certainly not constructive going forward during your stay.
Finally, thank you for your positive comments on your Guide and Tracker and your overall Safari experience at Leopard Hills, we pride ourselves in the quality and passion of our Staff and the quality of our incredible game Viewing experience.

Reviewed 20 April 2018

As an experienced safari traveller it was fantastic to find another lodge that I would thoroughly like to revisit in the near future. The room was beautiful and despite the monkey visits, the balcony, particularly the view was lovely. Even to witnessing a kill from there!!
The game drives in the excellent company of Hugo and Mo were well up to standard, particularly the number and quality of leopard sightings. I was sorry to leave the pair of them behind when I left. Good luck to Hugo in his new job!! Hopefully he will not be completely lost to guiding.
I really enjoyed the variety and quality of the food and the dialogue post meals with the chef.
I have already booked my next visit to South Africa, but a return to Leopard hills is high on my priority list in future.
The whole staff are amazing and I look forward to seeing them all again. It was lovely to have Champagne on my first evening game drive after arrival to celebrate my 70th birthday the day before!!

Best wishes to all at Leopard Hills from Peter Leigh

Room Tip: Room 8 is close to dining area and has a great view.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank diner111800
Duncan R, General Manager at Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2018

What an amazing Review, thank you from all of us at the Lodge. Hugo has taken up his position as Assistant General Manager, and is loving the challenge, although he will still be on the odd Safari every now and then, when time permits.

We look forward to seeing you back with us in the not too distant future, and once again, thank you for the lovely comments on your stay with us.

The Leopard Hills Team