2,086 results
All reviews spa suite game drives safari experience the reserve south africa river lodge hoedspruit airport buffet style kruger park wonderful experience wild animals lunch and dinner wellness centre per day out of this world morning and evening our waiter
Reviewed 13 January 2018

We had an amazing family safari at Kapama. Our ranger and tracker were excellent, taking the time to explain so many different aspects of the animals and the park. By the end, it felt like they were good friends to be missed. The lodge is just beautiful and the service impeccable.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Christine_from_Oslo
Reviewed 11 January 2018

Kapama River Lodge was truly magnificent in every way!! I would give this lodge 5 stars considering the beauty of the location, the hospitality and the fact that they were able to accommodate every little detail— especially my gluten intolerance. However, I unfortunately got sick from some undercooked gluten free pancakes that the chefs were so kind to make me. I’d like to say that it was minor and not worth removing a star, but it did force me to miss two of the six safaris which was disappointing. Other than the raw pancakes the food was quite good despite being buffet style. Additionally, our guides Eben and Collin were FANTASTIC and got us to see all BIG 5 game!!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Richard P
Reviewed 10 January 2018

We ended our tour of safari adventures here at the River Lodge. It is a beautiful facility, the rooms are great & the dining areas are beautiful. Two of my children are vegetarians & gluten free & the chef's were amazing in accommodating their needs. They felt very catered too. Our safari's were perfect. The seats in the trucks were so comfortable even though there was no covered roof. Our guide Corne was very knowledgeable,and super interested in the animals and showing an amazing time. In addition, the Spa was the best I've been to in a long time. I had a wonderful facial and a African massage with a roller. I loved it!!!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Michelle W
Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

Going to a Safari was a dream for many of us in our family. We decided to reserve Kapama River Loge, as it seemed to be a more family-oriented hotel than the others in the area. Indeed it is. The experience was great, specially the safari trips. We were allocated a ranger - Harry - that was fantastic, this type of guy that loves what he does and takes his job very seriously. He was very effective in showing us all the big 5 by the second day, after only 2-3 trips !! He is one of the best Rangers of Kapama, but do not expect someone “soft speaking” and talking a lot. He does his job, and he does it superbly !!
The hotel itself is comfortable. There is a culture of “tipping”, in some ways with the hotel blessing, that can be sometimes very unpleasant. For maids, workers, servers they try to make very explicit what they expect from you to serve you. As all of this was not included in the daily price one has to pay to stay there...They could improve a lot here, but keep in mind this is a feature you will see in most of South African places.
They built a separate SPA facility which is very nice. The pool is great, much better than the one at the hotel. The servants however can be very “rude” if you go to the SPA to see, take pictures, without buying some massage. I did not know I could not swim at the pool, and the women was very nervous when she saw me going to the pool. I do not know what would happen to me had I entered the pool...suggestion: fix a fair fee for using the pool without taking a massage. Some people like me, do swim as an exercise.
The food also could be much better. They could give you more privacy options at least for dinning, instead of the big buffet that one has to face all three meals. And, even the buffet could be improved with some more options like grilled and roast meats.
In general, my family and I enjoyed a lot the experience, in spite of this points that I mention to contribute to improvement, if the desire to improve is present.
DM Pinho

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Demapi
Reviewed 8 January 2018 via mobile

This place was amazing! Our family of 16 started our safari adventures in Botswana, through to Zimbabwe and ended here. And it was a grand finale to our trip! Everything about Kapama was luxurious for us. The rooms were great, the food was super delicious and plentiful, and the staff was awesome! What we really came here for though were the animals, and they didn’t disappoint! We had 2 guides and 2 trackers, Nannette and Les (sp?) and Cornè and Mikey. They were so amazing and friendly. Our game drives were exciting and full of wonderful moments with the animals. I’d come back in a heartbeat. Thanks for making the end of our trip a real shining star!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family