“Restaurant closed”

Ranked #84 of 131 Restaurants in Taos
Price range: US$6 - US$10
Cuisines: Southwestern, International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Shady Brook Café is open for breakfast and lunch serving upscale continental cuisine using local, organic, fresh ingredients, yet priced affordably. Also served are gourmet coffee, fresh baked artisan bread and pastries, and homemade ice cream and sorbet. Vegetarian items are also available. Set among the tall pines of Taos Canyon, guests can enjoy outdoor dining on the patio or deck. Weekend events include fine dining and outdoor BBQ's with entertainment. Please visit our website to view our calendar of events.
Reviewed 30 January 2013

We watched for over 2 years while this place was transformed into a very nice group of condos and the restaurant overhauled. Several of our friends made a point to have lunch there...good reports on food and ambience. HOWEVER, starting this past summer, it looks like all activity has ceased and the restaurant closed. Don't know anything about the condos and rentals...I am guessing they may still be operating. Parking is difficult since it's behind the building off a narrow 2 lane road on a curve in Taos canyon...so it's hard to tell. I WISH it was still open as we need another place to eat around here, but it doesn't look like it is. I rated it average because there's no rating to indicate that it's CLOSED.

1  Thank RozGarland

Reviewed 19 September 2012

I had noted the Shady Brook Cafe while driving around the Enchanted Circle. I thought that it must be very good to exist miles from anywhere. Reading the reviews I made a point on my next visit to Taos to stop on by. It was a wonderful experience. The place is small, but completely full when we arrived. The server escorted us to the second level to sit. I was worried that with the crowd and the remote location our service would suffer, but we had a fantastic meal. The waitress was very personable and efficient. Based on previous reviews we had the Avocado soup and the cheese sandwich. Both were fantastic and perfect for a warm afternoon meal. We enjoyed the food so much we took a loaf of bread and brownies home. We enjoyed the Shady Brook cafe for several days. Will definitely return.

1  Thank Jerry G
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I spotted this place on a drive from Taos to Angel Fire, and determined, after reading reviews, to stop there on my way back. I was not disappointed.

You can choose to eat outside or inside. I ate indoors. All the tables have fresh flowers on them. My server was very helpful in describing portion sizes to me. I was a little worried about the menu, because I had read a lot of reviews of the burgers, and I'm not really a burger type of person - more of a vegetable/salad person. So I ordered the house salad, with the house dressing, and the cold avocado lime soup. Both came with croutons made from their artisanal breads, and both were delicious, with the soup being particularly distinctive, tasting mildly of cilantro. Perfect for a summer day! The price was good, the service attentive, and I really enjoyed it.

1  Thank gdionelli
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I stayed at Shady Brook Inn for 5 nights. These condos are awesome...totally updated southwest decor with wonderful ambiance. The onsite staff is wonderful as well and very helpful. Enjoyed lunch and dinner at the Shady Brook Cafe as well. Such a nice couple with great talent and so eager to give their customers a good experience.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

We are so thrilled that Shady Brook Cafe has opened, as we've been watching the progress of the remodel for a couple of years. What a treat!!! Love the beautiful breakfasts. My favorites are the regular Eggs Benedict and the California Eggs Benedict. So, different, so tasty. Have to stop at Shady Brook every time we go by. The staff are wonderful and so helpful. Highly recommend this darling hide-away!!!

Vicki from Oklahoma