“Hike with llamas” 5 of 5 bubbles

Wild Earth Llama Adventures
Ranked #1 of 19 Outdoor Activities in Taos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Llama Trekking Adventures in New Mexico's Pristine Wilderness! "Take a Llama to Lunch!" Wilderness Day Hikes Multi-Day Wilderness Adventures Custom Wilderness Events What's Llama Trekking? Llama Trekking is Hiking and Camping with our team of eco-friendly trail llamas, in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains and Rio Grande Gorege, near Taos and Santa Fe, New Mexico. On the trail, our gentle surefooted llamas carry the gear, leaving you unburdened to experience the natural beauty and inspiring solitude of the New Mexico wilderness. Experienced Naturalist Guides share information about local ecology, natural history, regional folklore, and wilderness skills. Backcountry Gourmet Meals are served on all of our New Mexico wilderness trips. All ages and fitness levels are welcome! Call us to answer any questions of to make reservations!
Santa Fe, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Hike with llamas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

The hike with the llamas into the Rio Grande Gorge, at the Big Arsenic Trailhead, was one of the most spectacular hikes I have taken. Well organized, delicious picnic lunch at the bottom was provided. The leader was well informed about the the area, the geology, the trees, petroglyph, etc.
An experience well worth it.

1 Thank tinworker

Santa Fe, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Big Arsenic Trail into Rio Grande Gorge with a Llama as my Buddy--JUST SPECTACULAR!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

I can't say enough good things about this day hike with Wild Earth Llama Adventures. The trail wound back and forth for a gentle descent amidst beautiful scenery . At the bottom we enjoyed a lovely lunch near fresh water that flowed from the basalt cliffs and into the river. It was here that our llamas drank. We saw northern pike swimming in the river. Our guide took the time to share facts about flora and fauna, local history, heiroglyphs and geology. The age range in our group was 20's to 70's and we all had an excellent time! Oh, did I mention that I fell in love with my llama?! It won't be long before my friend and I go back for another Wild Earth Llama Adventure!! S R Post

3 Thank Sylvie P
Taos, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great fun, a fabulous value!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

My daughter and friend and I did the "Take a llama to lunch" day hike with Stuart Wilde. The llamas were gentle and handsome, Stuart was a knowledgeable and friendly guide, and the gourmet lunch was delicious. The hike was not difficult and took us through beautiful mountain scenery on a perfect fall day. Highly recommended.

1 Thank Robbie005
Albuquerque, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Family Fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

Our family did the "Take A Llama To Lunch" Trek down into the canyon. Our third-graders loved feeding and leading the llamas. We had a delicious lunch by the Rio Grande. Everyone in the group enjoyed the relaxing time by the water and the walk to see the nearby petroglyphs. Stewart was a great, relaxed guide. His enthusiasm for the llamas, conservation and local history were infectious. The hike out of the canyon is strenuous, but we went at a slow pace. This hike exceeded our expectations.

1 Thank bjlk
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“DO THIS! You will LOVE it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

When I mentioned a llama trek to my husband, as we were planning our NM trip, he said sure he would go with me if I wanted to do this. We went on trek. We went home. For 2 weeks after, we talked about it every day! It was the highlight of our trip! Our llama was Apollo, he is gentle and handsome, and so sweet. First, we got to feed them by hand, to bond with them. Then Stuart Wilde, our guide, had us load gear into their packs, they carried our stuff and everything for our gourmet lunch. Then we took the leads and away we went, up the mountain, with our llama at our side. You can feel their hot breath on the back of your neck, they follow your lead. When you stop walking, they stop on a dime behind you, Stuart has them so well trained. They follow you thru creeks, over bridges, over felled trees. These gorgeous animals have been unwanted or neglected or abused in the past, and Stuart takes them and rehabilitates them and trains them for the treks. Stuart is the best guide you could ever have. He showed us how to make clean water, how to find gold, taught us about mushrooms, wild parsley. Then after a few hours of hiking in the wilderness, we tied the llamas up to trees in the sun to rest, while Stuart prepared us a fantastic lunch. This was right up there as the most fun I have ever had in my life. And I am over 50! At the end of our trek, I wanted to take Apollo home with me. Do this- you wont be sorry!

Visited September 2011