“Average food after long wait for take out”
Review of Captain's Cove Restaurant - CLOSED

Captain's Cove Restaurant
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Reviewed 18 May 2016

This place was packed so we had very high hopes. Unfortunately, everything we had was just average after a long wait for take out.

Reviewed 9 September 2015

I have not visited Captain's Cove restaurant in over 20 years. Then they would have Cheektowaga police directing traffic every Friday. Now a days very few cars in the parking lot. I love my Friday Fish Fry and the fish is the most important to me.
Walking in the door my nose was assaulted by the fish market odor. There even was a fly in the showcase. Staff said it would die of the cold.
Yes, this is a fish market first and yes, having lived/worked in SE Asia for many years you would think it would not bother me. But it did. The restaurant is in a separate room closed off . I purchased a small piece of fried haddock to take home and it was not expensive but my family would not let me in my own home because of the fishy smell. (Note: my car still has the fishy aroma over a day later) The taste was ok. Breading needs help. Japanese Panko might help.
However in the short time I was there the staff was complaining about management/coupons/customers between themselves but loud enough for me to hear. They also receive a call from a customer, while I was there, who indicated they found a hair in the new shrimp & fries. The cook almost bald headed cook said it was not from him. The staff mentioned, between themselves, that the servers were not required to wear hair net. The cook offered to refund money for the item that had the hair but not both, whatever that meant. I have a fish fry EVERY week but this is the first time it smelled, in over 10 years and the staff comments really put me off.

Reviewed 22 June 2015

We have been home from our 3+ week trip touring western New York State for two weeks now and are still talking about the deep fried prawns and scallops and haddock we had for dinner here. We were staying at an airport hotel and had returned our car so we decided to go to Captain's Cove because it was an easy walk. As others have said, the place is nothing special to look at. The waitress was very friendly and helpful. We shared a Captain's Plate and thank goodness we did..there is no way either of us could have finished one each. The prawns were hands down the best deep fried prawns I've ever had. The scallops were also perfect and we love haddock and it was done perfectly too. We both wish this restaurant was in our area so we could go back and back and back....

Reviewed 10 June 2015

From the outside it doesn't look like much but the food is pretty darn good. I go there for their barbecue fish tacos. You will not find a place in the area where you will get more food for a great price. 3 tacos and they are extremely good with all the side salads...

I would highly recommend

Reviewed 28 May 2015 via mobile

It's definitely not something we would have driven past & said "oh, let's stop there!" We found the reviews on here though & decided to give it a try. It was AMAZING! Clean, friendly, FRESH, cooked just right! Will come again!