Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dewitt (Syracuse)
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in East Syracuse
Reviewed 3 December 2012

My Colleague & I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Dewitt for 4 nights whilst on business in Syracuse
We were greeted by the receptionist & she checked us both in very quickly as Holiday inn Priority Club members we were given 2 bottles of water and some snacks which was a nice touch.
I was given a room (419) on the 4th floor at the front of the hotel,
The room & bathroom was very Modern & Fresh, everything functioned and it was very clean, the room had a large flat screen TV, Iron & Board, Very comfortable bed, Chair & futon & Good Free Wi-Fi. The bathroom had a tub with shower, toilet & large Sink area with Soaps, Shampoo etc.
Breakfast the following morning was plentiful and of good quality with Tea, Coffee, Juice, Cereals, Bread, Bagels, Sausage, Bacon, Scrambled eggs, Pastries, Yogurt & Fruit.
Tea, Coffee, Fruit & Cookies were available all day and you could relax in the lounge area to watch the large flat screen TV.
My Colleague & I used the Swimming pool and Gym on all four evenings, they were both clean and had plenty of towels, and there was also a business area with computers and printers if needed.
There are plenty of restaurants in the area Taco Bell, McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Outback Steakhouse & Wendy’s
All in all we had a very good stay with friendly staff to look after you, I would highly recommend this hotel and will stay here again should I visit the area.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 1 December 2012

This nice property met my needs and was up to the usual Holiday Inn Express standards. The room was nice and clean, with no issues, service was very good, and no surprises with the free breakfast. You will need to get in your car for dinner though, as there are no restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 December 2012

In early November I stayed at the hotel for three nights. This was my fifth stay. Because I have been returning to handle family issues I really appreciate having a comfortable room and a welcoming staff (many of whom I know now) to greet me at the end of the day. I want to commend Kristin who works at the front desk. She went "above and beyond" to help me with a frustrating fax issue in a professional and reassuring manner. I will be back again in early 2013 and look forward to another predictable and pleasant visit.

Room Tip: I never had a bad room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Husband and I stayed at this hotel on Thanksgiving weekend while visiting family in the area. Our first stay was last March, when we stayed here while attending a memorial service and everything about our experience was positive. I made an online reservation for four nights.

This time our experience left a lot to be desired. The room was clean and tastefully appointed with a big comfortable bed. But this is not everything that makes a hotel experience satisfactory.

During our first night, the heating/AC unit in our room (which we had turned off) suddenly started up on its own and then cycled on and off for about 30 seconds every 15-20 minutes or so all night long. Our attempts to turn it completely off were in vain, so we finally put in the earplugs we always travel with and went back to sleep. Yes, we could have called the Front Desk and asked to have someone come and fix the problem, but we just wanted to sleep. We complained the next morning and the problem was fixed - when we returned to the room after spending Thanksgiving Day elsewhere, the A/C seemed to work properly. But the problem recurred on our third night.

The room darkening window treatments would not stay closed; after attempting to close them completely, the shades would separate about 4", which was more than enough to admit the glare of the overhead lights from the parking lot.

On Thanksgiving morning, we left the room at about 8:30 am to attend a local "Turkey Trot" race with other family members. Attired in our athletic clothes, we returned to the hotel at about 12:30 to shower and change. We encountered the housekeeper outside our door, who was preparing to service our room. I asked her if she could wait 20-30 minutes so we had time to do what we needed to do and she was very nice about this. (Our room was in the middle of the line of rooms and I expected that she had others to clean.) Within 15 minutes, the housekeeper was banging on our door, accompanied by a woman who was apparently the supervisor. I felt sorry for the housekeeper, whose credibility was apparently in question that the room was occupied.

On the third evening of our stay, husband and I went to bed feeling ill - chills, cough, nasal congestion, sore throat, headache - and decided that we needed to return home in the morning. The floor now appeared to be occupied by a group of people in town for a wedding (we saw gift bags at the front desk) and there were several children racing through the halls, slamming doors, laughing loudly, etc, so in went the earplugs once again.

In the morning, we checked out and inquired about a refund for the final day of our reservation and were (very rudely) told that it was impossible. At our previous stay at this hotel, the front desk attendant had inquired about our reason for traveling to the area and when we said we were there for a memorial service, were offered a bereavement rate - without our asking. Hotel staff apparently has discretion about such matters, but it was not extended to us this time. We left with enough animosity about our experience that we will not return to this hotel and will tell others about what happened.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, is a significant safety issue. On Saturday, our final morning at the hotel, my husband had gone to the breakfast room for coffee when the fire alarms throughout the facility started going off. The front desk attendant told him to go to our car. Knowing I was asleep in our room wearing earplugs, he dashed back upstairs to awaken me. I did not hear the alarm going off in the hallway even after I removed my earplugs. IF THERE WAS A FIRE ALARM AND STROBE IN OUR ROOM, IT DID NOT FUNCTION! I don't know what the laws are in New York State regarding this situation and did not check to see if there was one, but it seems that there should be.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank momzanurz1525
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dewitt (Syracuse), responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2012

Dear momzanurz1525,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had with your room accommodation, the poor service you received and our facilities. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 21 November 2012

My husband travels for his job, he crushes stone in a stone quarry, and has been staying at the Holiday Inn in Dewitt, New York
The staff and management has gone above and beyond to make his extended stay as pleasant and comfortable as a home away from could be
Thanks for making him happy

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
4.3 km away
Homewood Suites by Hilton Syracuse - Carrier Circle
4.1 km away
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Syracuse

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dewitt (Syracuse)? Share your experiences!