“History with a view!!”

National Soaring Museum
Ranked #4 of 21 things to do in Elmira
More attraction details
Owner description: The National Soaring Museum houses a world-class collection of sailplanes and gliders, preserving the history and heritage of motor-less flight. NSM is located next to an active glider port, allowing visitors to witness takeoffs and landings, especially during the busy summer months. Public glider rides are available on a first-come, fist-served basis. Harris Hill offers many enticements besides a visit to NSM. The Museum is located adjacent to Harris Hill Amusement Park, featuring miniature golf, go-karts, batting cages, a driving range, an arcade, snack bar and more: as well as a pool, picnic grounds and a scenic overlook.
Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

We actually held our biannual quilt show at the museum. The many displays are wonderful and looked amazing with the quilts hanging all around them. The staff is amazing to work with. On a clear day you get to enjoy the beautiful views and watch the gliders coming and going. Good place for folks of all ages to visit.

All reviews
"learning"
"tow"
"enthusiasts"

Reviewed 25 April 2017

This may seem like an unlikely pair but it was really nice. I enjoyed the quilts and my boyfriend enjoyed the aircraft's and history. we were both happy and liked our visit very much. It was great how the two displays mingled and i thought they looked great together. Even with both to see the visit only took us a couple hours and was well worth seeing in our day trip.

Reviewed 25 February 2017

We had the best tour, buy the director, of this rare gem of a museum. It never ceases to amaze me how some people can just jump off into the air despite the solidity of the earth at their feet, in such a delicate craft.

Reviewed 26 November 2016

It was a gloomy day so I decided to stay in town and visit the National Soaring Museum. I wish I had visited it sooner! My imagination took flight among the many gliders.

The National Soaring Museum a hall-of-fame for gliding.  They have a big hangar-looking facility with a ton of various gliders, pulling trucks, etc. from all sorts of eras and places.  There are a couple for the little ones to climb in and touch, as well. It's the closest I'll ever get to gliding.

If you're into gliders and aircraft, this museum is a must family-friendly activity when in the Elmira area. The land it's on is beautiful.  It's located right next to a hangar where people come to glide and/or to learn how to fly a glider.  It's located on top of a mountain, so it really is spectacular. I wish I would have been visiting when gliders were taking off.

1  Thank twilbur2