“Great thing to do”

Fire Island Lighthouse
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Fire Island
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Climbing to the top of a lighthouse? Never thought it would be something I would do and never thought about doing it but this is great! I came across it when looking for activities on Long Island. Lots of steps up plus walking the boardwalk through the dunes to get there - so be aware of that. Not for folks who don't want to walk a lot. I would not want to do it when its crowded either. Being on the circular steps going up and in a crowd I would not like personally but I am sure that would not bother others. Interesting museum there also. We went on a gray day early int the morning so it was not too hot walking through the dunes - I would recommend not going on a super hot sunny afternoon. We thought we would walk back to the car on the beach but found that part of the beach to be clothing optional and we had the kids with us - surprise! So we did walk back on the boardwalk. You may want to bring some bottled water. There are bathrooms. Minimal fee, tons of great history too. So worth the climb!

Reviewed 21 September 2012

The climb up and the history lesson along the way make this a worthwhile excursion. The staff are all volunteers who love the lighthouse and it shows.

Reviewed 6 September 2012

Every time I am in the place that has a lighthouse I go there. This one is really special for some reason, maybe is the views, maybe something else... I have been there 3 times already, every time I visit Fire island-cannot resist. Do not miss it!

Reviewed 4 September 2012

We took a drive over to Fire Island to see the lighthouse and its special Fresnel lens exhibition over this past Labor Day weekend. We learned so many things from the volunteers. The facilities are very clean, as are the bathrooms. The guides are all volunteers and really like sharing their knowledge about the lighthouse and the Fresnel lens. For example, did you know?

1. That the Fresnel lens is named for its inventor, French physicist Augustin Jean Fresnel?

2. That a magnifying glass is thick in the middle and thin at the edges, and is shaped like a lentil, which is where the word lens comes from? The Fresnel lens approximates the magnifying glass but is much thinner in the middle.

3. That during the date the lighthouse is identified by its markings and color!

You have to get to the Fire Island Lighthouse to see its immense first-order Fresnel lens, which is 20 feet high and kept within its own building. They can also tell you the answer to the question in the title!

Quiz: How many orders of Fresnel lens existing? Answer: Ask a volunteer at Fire Island Lighthouse.

One last note to the facility - the top section of the Fresnel lens is not aligned with the center and lower sections which would cause a double-pulse if in actual use. This should be corrected.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

A great place to visit - you get a taste of history, a sense of purpose and a great view. On a clear day you can see the Great South Bay. It's also a pleasant walk to go to east to the towns of Fire Island.