“Some people seem to like it better than I did.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Greenwood Lake
New Continental Hotel
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Well, let's be positive.
• The staff is very nice.
• The view of the lake is nice and they have lakeside dining. If you want to eat vegan, you will be eating salads, though.
• There is a bar downstairs.
• The morning coffee is good.

The New Continental Inn is a historic property right on Greenwood Lake. I was told that the property dates back to the 1920s, and Babe Ruth and some other notables stayed here.

The rooms are a little primitive. My room was small with old carpet, and paper thin walls.

Unfortunately, I didn't get much sleep due to noise from the room next door. I could hear people talking late at night (until 2:30AM actually) and they were not being loud; they were talking in normal conversational tones and watching TV. I turned on the room air conditioner to the fan only setting, and that solved the issue.

The plumbing is loud if someone takes a bath, or flushes a toilet.

I think they have better rooms than the one I stayed in, but this room was a disappointment. However, I didn't pay $500 a night for a lakefront stay in the middle of the summer, either (but only about one fifth of that, in fact).

If you are a perfectionist expecting luxury accommodations, and have the money to stay at a luxury venue, then you will be happier elsewhere.

I believe you can have a nice stay here, if you come with the right attitude and are able to not obsess about imperfections and inconveniences.

Room Tip: Phone the hotel to make your reservation and discuss the specifics of the rooms that are available a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 12 August 2013

I read the wonderful reviews so figured give it a try. Called to find out what time dinner was served and the pleasant woman said "we're serving so come on up" - never asked if I wanted to make a reservation. After a 45 minute drive, we were warmly greeted by the hostess staff and while being seated a rude hostess abrupt stated there was an hour waited without a reservation and we were turned away. Another hostess was setting for a party of 9 until the rude hostess re-emerged and that party was also turned away. With dozens of empty tables you'd think they would welcome the business.
Clearly management needs to get their act together- when I called should have been told reservations were needed and the treatment of any patron by the rude hostess is utterly unacceptable. The dining room decor was in need of a serious update and there was an offensive smell - the New Continental is certainly not new. I will never recommend this establishment to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Douglas C
Reviewed 23 July 2013

If you do not want something fancy, then this is the place. Food not bad, great location over the lake. Rooms are very small and not updated. Couldn't get the internet to work. Restaurant not open on Mondays, so needed to go out for breakfast. Everyone is very pleasant.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2013

My husband, 2 month old son and I had a wonderful experience at this hotel. Everyone was so friendly and accommodating. We showed up without a reservation but they were able to squeeze us in. Rooms were simple, the dinner was delicious and you can swim right off the dock. We will definitely be coming back on our next visit to Greenwood Lake.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2013

My wife and I have been going to the New Continental Hotel (Inn) since 1982. It has been owned operated since the 1920's by four generations of the same family. Significant improvements have been made to the premises in the last couple of years. My only hope is that they don't overdue the improvements so that it becomes another one of the chain hotels. If you are looking for Motel 6, EconoLodge or Best Western like hotel, this is not for you. If you want a rectangular building full of cookie-cutter type rooms made of drywall with no character, the New Continental Hotel is not for you. This is a place for people who want to feel history all around them while they eat, sleep, and relax.. It's for people who want to sit in the bar and feel like Al Capone or Bonnie & Clyde could come walking through the door at anytime. Being at the water's edge, the setting is perfect for reading, relaxing, swimming, etc. The bed was very comfortable, the air conditioner was capable of making the room too cold even with the outside temperature was in the 90's. The food was scrumptious and ample. Diane and Leo couldn't be better hosts. They are always available to help you. They know all about the history, folklore, and legends about the area. If you want to experience something out of the ordinary humdrum boring hotel chains, then you should book a few nights at the New Continental Hotel. You will leave much more relaxed than when you arrived.

Room Tip: Room #12 is bigger than the rest, looks over the lake, and is on the second floor insuring a good vi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Been to New Continental Hotel? Share your experiences!