Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$62
Travelocity
US$209
Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie(Poughkeepsie)
US$136
TripAdvisor
Poughkeepsie Inn(Poughkeepsie)
TripAdvisor
1,444 results
All reviewshorseback ridingsnow tubingfun barnpony ridespaddle boatsfamily resortping pongbungee jumpingthe main lodgegirl scout weekendall inclusive resortnightly entertainmentgreat family vacationchef paulsingle parentshows at nightindoor pool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

One of the best experiences with hotel staff we have had. This was our first solo trip with grandchildren - two boys ages 7 and 4. We had special circumstances as the 4 year old has a tree nut allergy. A huge responsibility for us as well as the RHR but that is why we chose them. All waitstaff and managers were aware of the issue and handled it expertly. As to the RHR experience We were impressed with the friendliness and helpfulness of staff interacted with as part of their job or just accidentally. We had a spacious room with very comfortable beds, pillows - not so much. Great ranch ambiance. Lots to do for kids/family's if you can get them out of the pool! Food very well prepared. Ordered salmon medium rare and it was perfect. Fish was perfect every time - very moist. Veggies crisp but not raw. Good variety at all meals. Long wait for coffee/refills. Narrow wine selection but ok. Sometimes a wait for the wine so we were eating the main course before our wine arrived. Honestly though, I liked everything. There was something for everyone throughout the day. Skiing, horseback riding,games, bowling etc..Great vacation with the grandkids, Thank you Rocking Horse Ranch.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Figsaro
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is my family first time trip to RHR before Spring Break. We stayed at family suite room with 2 queen bed and kids bunk beds on the 2nd floors.The kids loved the bunk beds and room has log cabin feeling, but the tv size is kind of small 28-30". Main Building that we stayed is very convenience 1st floor is the indoor pools and the restaurant for your daily meals from Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Lower level is the games room, adult bar and theater stage for all the game show and performances. Outdoor activities is very short distance walk within the ranch area from horseback riding, snow tubing,ski, and indoor doome with bouncy house, ping pong, and rock climbing. The foods they serve is delicious from breakfast,lunch and dinner. You won't get hungry at this resort cause 24hrs snacks and refreshment serve all time. Breakfast & lunch is buffet style and dinner is served on plate by waiter and waitress but is unlimited so you can order as many plates as you wanted. Every staffs is super friendly and will assist you without any hesitation. Definitely will come back again.

Room Tip: I recommended to get 2nd floor level at the main building to avoid the kids noise level especially during the night time in the room.
4  Thank Dave L
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Wow, it was our first time, just my husband and I. Had the best winter vacation ever.
Where do I begin to tell you about this amazing place. We did everything, rode horses everyday, took the barn tour. OMG! 115 stall barn, 115 of the best looking trail horses we have ever seen. The food is outstanding, the staff never walks by you with out saying hello. Everything is clean, the horses are well feed, groomed and the wranglers are so wonderful. Our room was clean, the food, I think I mentioned this already. But it needs a second mention. If you don't gain ten pounds or better, something is wrong with you! Love the gift shops, girls working there are so helpful and sweet. This is a family place for sure, but we came as a couple and never felt out of place. Watching the horses go out to their pastures and come back in the morning was a site to see.We loved the tubbing, indoor heated pool. Did I say, they clean around the clock at the Ranch? Anyway, we will visit again and again.

Room Tip: The rooms are all spacious, we had 2 queen beds and bunk beds.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is our first time here, we took our 10 year old doughter for spring break.
She loved the in door pool, but most of al she loved riding the horse every day. The food was great, mac and cheese , french fries, pasta. room was comfortable and staff friendly.
I recomend coming with friends.

Reviewed 20 March 2018

My family and I took a brief, 1 night, trip to RHR the middle/end of March, Sun-Mon, the week before Spring break. I have 2 boys aged 5 and 8, and they, along with my husband and I, all had a fantastic time! Because our trip was so brief, we weren't sure how much we could pack in there, but we did our best, enjoyed every minute, and feel like we were gone a week, rather than just 28 hours! :)

ROOM:
We stayed in the Oklahoma Suite, and I will try to attach a picture, since when I was looking, I could find no pictures of this suite. We loved that this had 2 bathrooms, and a slight separation for the kids' room with bunk beds and the queen sized bed for my husband and me.There is a kind of archway separating the 2 spaces (no door). I loved having this bit of separation. The kids, of course, loved the bunk beds. The room has the log cabin feeling, but the bathrooms were modern. There is a tv in each section, although we didn't use either. We didn't hear any loud noises, and we also noticed in the main building there was a sign saying it was quiet time 8pm-9am. So the resort clearly recognizes families can be loud and does what they can to encourage being respectful of each other. The Oklahoma building is NOT connected to the main building, so you do have to walk outside to get to the dining hall, bowling, pool, etc. There is nothing in the Ok building other than rooms, and they are done in a motel-style, so you just walk into your room from the outside (no lobby or hallway inside). This might not be ideal for everything, esp in the winter, but it didn't bother us. Even after using the pool, in 30 degree weather, we just changed shirts, put on coats, and ran through a closer exit to our building. But not everyone will want to do that.

FOOD:
My husband loved the food! We only had 1 day, but the choices that were out while we were there were all good. They use paper products at lunch, but regular dishes for breakfast and dinner. Nice and standard buffet options, with several "make your own" sections for tacos, fajitas, burgers, fish, pasta. Breakfast had a nice assortment of good fruit (not just melon with a few blueberries--but nice bowls of strawberries, grapes, blueberries, pineapple, grapefruit). I appreciated this! They have a soft serve ice cream machine, and the ice cream was very good (not the cheap "icy milk" I recall from other buffets I went to as a teen. We also sampled some apps during the "Chef's Tasting" in the afternoon which was a nice treat. The bar had complimentary sangrias, and drinks for the kids, along with popcorn.

STAFF:
Excellent! As soon as we pulled into the driveway, a parking attendant greeted us with a smile and welcome and it continued that way for the rest of the stay! The front desk staff, the dining hall staff, the ski staff, the children's room staff--they were all excellent! Friendly, upbeat, helpful. We were not there long enough to get to know anyone much, but I'm sure if we did stay a week, we would have. My 5-year-old was so sad to leave the children's area staff, after only being there 90 minutes! :) The staff seemed young, some in high school, others maybe college or early 20s, and they had great energy, and great attitudes!

POOL:
My kids loved this! There is a regular pool with buckets above which dump periodically, blow up balls, and a floating path you can jump/walk over. My husband and boys loved this (i didn't go in). My husband tossed up those balls to the basket for a long time and totally had a blast! Next to the pool room is a small area with a few kiddie slides and sprays, and 1 water slide. My husband said it went pretty fast, and my 2 kids loved it also! There was no wait either day because we were there during a slow period. I would not really classify this as an indoor water park exactly (it's not like the resorts which specialize in their park), but it is a really nice perk to this resort and takes the regular pool experience up quite a few levels.

ACTIVITIES:
We were there during a kind of change-over period, as we were there for literally the last day of Winter! But there was enough snow for their Winter Park to be open and we were so glad we got to experience this.
-Skiing: This is a very small ski area, and this was totally fine with us. There was no waiting time to ski, and it was perfect for my young beginners. If you are a serious skier, this will not be challenging to you, but I doubt people come to this resort just for the skiing. For us, my 8-year-old loved it! He could have skied indefinitely! I loved that it was so small you didn't need a ski lift--just the conveyor belt thing for the skiers and the tubers alike. The staff were so helpful in the learning area and seemed to be having fun with the little kids (and the little kids had fun with them!). I don't know their names, but they were great!
-Snow tubing: So much fun! I had never done this before! Hardly any wait also, and a fantastic time!
-Pony rides: This was cute, but my 5-year-old was a little disappointed because he thought it would be longer and go somewhere other than a circle. But this is kind of what pony rides are like! It was a nice setting, being around trees and seeing the pond. It was maybe about 2 minutes long, what you would expect from a pony ride, and it allows the line to move quickly.
-Horse back riding: My husband and I reserved a time slot, and as it was, we seemed to be the only ones with reservations (everyone else was in the "standby" section). We took the beginner route. It was very slow, a long line of horses all in a row (maybe 30?), and they only gave about 10 seconds of instructions when getting on the horse. Then you're kind of on your own, but you can ask staff if they are near you. One employee did give me a little advice as she rode by, and you can come to the morning riding demonstration to hear more about riding. The trail was very beautiful--through the woods. We went up a few small hills and down a few small hills, but slowly. It was very muddy for our trip, and the horses were all great. We saw the intermediate or advanced riders gallop by us once. I think there would be something for everyone, at all levels, here. They have something like 115 horses there (not to mention a zebra!). During this time, our kids stayed in the children's center.
-Archery/Rifle Range: This is a small building with 4 bb guns, and 1 archery set. It wasn't busy when we arrived, so we all got a chance to try both, but this is a small area.
-Fun Zone: There is a building which has a foam play area, a small bounce house, ping pong tables, and a tread/moving rocking climbing wall. My kids enjoyed this area, filling up some kind of blaster with balls and shooting them, playing table tennis, and the rocking climbing wall (although it only moved very slowly, so my 8-year-old, who loves to climb, didn't find it challenging. It was a neat idea, and i think it moves faster sometimes maybe. The staff member was helpful in trying to get it to accommodate). This area smells like a kid's gym (and there were only a few kids there so it was not crowded!), so I did not love hanging out in there personally, but it is a nice touch to have it, and perhaps in the spring and summer, when the windows/door can be open, it smells better.
Bowling/Arcade: There are 2 small lanes of tiny bowling, which was a nice touch! I think the scoring went to 5 frames, which is a great idea, so that the games are not too long. This area looked pretty new and/or well kept. Lots of video games, which we did not have a chance to play. But the kids did like the bowling. It was not busy when we were there, so our kids had a chance to play a few times, but I suspect during busy times, there would be a bit more of a wait.

We did not get to the ice skating rink (didn't even see it), and the Spring activities were not open yet, but we were happy we fit in all that we did! There was a Bubble Show when we were there (we didn't go), and lots of scheduled activities like Bingo, Karaoke, which we didn't check out either.

**My 5-year-old started writing a "book" on the RHR stationary left in the bedroom. Each page says something like, "I loved the pool," "I love snow tubing." etc. On the first page, he wrote, in tiny writing "I Love" above the printed "Rocking Horse Ranch" signature! So this resort has had a lasting impression on my little guy!

CHILDREN'S CENTER:
Our kids stayed here once while we were riding horses. They stayed for about 90 minutes and enjoyed their time. They painted a little wooden car, played the game Sorry, and went snow tubing. It's great the staff members will actually take them out and do activities with them (just not skiing or ice skating). My 5-year-old was holding back tears as he was saying good bye to them, so he got quickly attached.

OVERALL:
A warm decor filled with lots of rustic charm, friendly staff, nice clean rooms, decent food, lots of activities - this is an amazing deal for the expense, and we are happy to have found an all-inclusive resort in New York State! We will definitely be back here, and most likely, we will continue to come for many years as our kids grow older!

**One extra note: After we left, when I was tucking my 5-year-old in to bed, we realized we had left his giant stuffed turtle in the room! He started to cry, but I assured him we would talk to the resort and I'm sure we would get it back. I called and they had already put the turtle aside (and I saw later, they called my landline a few hours before to let me know about the turtle we left), confirmed our mailing address and were happy to mail it out to us. My son was so relieved (as was I!). I'm guessing we are not the only family to have left a stuffed animal at this family resort, but they handled it so well, so quickly, professionally, kindly.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Tara M