“untrained waitress, very pleasent chef/manager, maybe owner”
Review of Austin's Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

Austin's Restaurant & Bar
Description: Austin's is a place where friends meet for the best of times. We have specials every single day, including food and drink specials that can't be beat! Every weekend there is great live music , with some of the best bands around! We also serve a late night menu with some of our most delicious appetizers, Thurs-Sat. Austin's come equipped with our full menu available to take out, a kid's menu, catering specials, and gift certificates ALL AVAILABLE 7 DAYS A WEEK, OPEN FOR LUNCH AND DINNER. With great staff, excellent food, delicious cocktails, and awesome music it's our most important goal to see that all of our patrons have a great experience here at Austin's. So come on in and have yourself a great time!!
Reviewed 24 June 2016

My sister, mom, niece (5yr. old) and I tried Austin's the first week in June 2016. Our server was pleasant but inattentive, not well trained or well versed on the menu. To her credit, she got our order right and seemed very busy carrying glasses to and from the bar. The restaurant and bar were dead, it was a Tuesday night.

We started will the deviled eggs with Chipotle mayo, bacon and scallions. We were surprised at the lack of chipotle flavor and color, it should have had a slightly pink color from the pepper. They tasted like regular deviled eggs to us. We also ordered the calamari. The rings were cooked to perfection, light, crispy, tender but the sweet Thousand Island like sauce that was drizzled over the top, the too salty marinara served on the side and the bottom third of the basket being filled with the crumbled remains of the fried batter made this dish un-enjoyable. The calamari sans the sauce were delicious!

We ordered the "Butcher Block" for 4 people. The brisket was dry, not well smoked and flavorless. The Keilbasa was a single link of a small hot dog sized sausage that seemed to have been grilled with no smokey flavor at all. The pulled pork and St. Loius Ribs were tender, not smokey and sauced in a way too sweet, ketchupy BBQ sauce which made it hard to enjoy. There was no smoke ring on the ribs but they retained just enough pull from the bone for me. The pull BBQ chicken was dry without any smoke flavor.
Our sides were okay, except the greens- they were great! The mac and cheese was good. The cole slaw, like many other items there, was sticky sweet. The salad was good. It was topped with hardboiled eggs and bacon, we would have asked to hold those had we know but the neither the menu nor the waitress were helpful in that department. The onion rings were the best part of dinner.

The kids menu leaves a lot to be desired, mostly fried junk but the chef/owner/manager guy who was chatting us up said they could do anything on the menu as kids size. That would have been useful to know either from the menu or the waitress.

We would have brought some of these issues up to our waitress if she had been available and if the kitchen was not open to the dining room! I just hate that concept. Diners have no ability to discuss the food without the chef being within ear shot. Embarrassing for both parties.

We love to support local restaurants and, despite enjoying the food from local pizza and Chinese places, were very excited to have some variety hit out town. I hope Austin's gets its act together fixes these menu issues, trains its staff and lays off the sugar.

1  Thank roseyday

Reviewed 13 June 2016

We arrived very excited to try a new local BBQ place and walked out so disappointed. When we walked in and asked how long they have been open, the manager went on this rant about how they were opened for a few weeks but had to shut down and now they're open again..just not something a new diner wants to hear. First impressions are everything. The food was all amateur. Everything we asked about on the menu was limited. We asked about a few apps and the waitress said, well, we don't have those available right now. Then we asked about the chorizo, and were told they don't have chorizo right now, but kielbasa. What? When my husband walked outside, he heard a family walking out say to a family walking in how horrible the place was and they both left! This place needs a huge revamp if they want to stay in business.

Reviewed 12 June 2016 via mobile

Good food , excellent service , nice atmosphere , very enjoyable lunch , BBQ styles of food, a must try , will revisit again, great choices of Beer on draft and bottles.

Reviewed 20 May 2016

Thank you so much for the yummy lunch I had with all of my friends last week...we all got different things to try from the veggie wrap, tacos, pulled pork sandwich and everything was delicious!!!! Great new restaurant of the Hudson Valley!!!

Reviewed 8 May 2016

Went to establishment pretty much expecting it to be something like a Texas BBQ or steakhouse. It would not be fair to rate this place as a restaurant as I did not get past the bar. First thing I observed was the staff wearing Irish American Shirts with the name of the restaurant on them. Nothing wrong with that except that there was no Irish food on the menu. The place was very brightly lit which I don't like but that is just my opinion. Barmaid was friendly enough however when I received the bill for my Bud Light and my wife's club soda it came to $7.50. I have paid alot more than this for drinks in my life however it seemed like alot of money for this area. The worst part came when I paid for the beer and club soda and gave the barmaid $8.00. she went to the cash register and deposited the money and apparently assumed that I did not need the .50 change. She just took the $8.00 and went about her business. I am by no means cheap and always leave a tip fo the servers sometimes bigger than the actual bill, however this pissed me off so much we did not stay to eat. We were looking foward to eating some place different however we will not be returning to this establishment.