“Best grilled octopus!!!”
Review of MP Taverna

MP Taverna
Reserve with OpenTable
MP Taverna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 33 Restaurants in Irvington
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main Street
Transit: The restaurant is located directly across from the Irvington Metro-North train stop.
Description: Opened 5/14/12, sister to MP Taverna in Roslyn
Reviewed 28 November 2015

My wife and I pop in here every now and then for a nice weekend lunch. We love the food,service,and ambiance of the place. I love grilled octopus and always order it wherever I am. This place thus far takes the cake .

Reviewed 13 November 2015

Went to the restaurant for restaurant week and found the offerings ok, but not showcasing the exemplary meals this restaurant was purported to have. The macaronia was delicious as were the dumplings-subtle and tender. 3 of 4 people ordered off the regular restaurant as they found the special menu too limiting. One guest was disappointed with the lamb shanks and the chicken was good, but not special. The desserts were poor, the pumpkin cake was dry and came with ice cream that was already melted.Will definitely go again to give it a second shot

Reviewed 11 November 2015

Yes, there are conventional Greek dishes--yogurt and chickpea dips, pita bread, with ots of feta and olives. But there are surprises, and they are generally pleasant ones--the Greek paella includes lamb sausages as well as lots of shellfish, the fusilli is cooked served with roasted tomatoes and garlic as well as feta cheese. It can be a little dark at lunchtime, as the only windows face east, but there is a lively after-work bar crowd from the Bridge Street commercial complex. The service as been fast and friendly each time we've been there, which always makes me feel good about going back.

Reviewed 11 November 2015

Nice atmosphere with live music. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy my brunch selection (scrambled eggs, which were loaded with garlic - not obvious based on menus description). My friends really enjoyed their selections. The live music was a nice touch for Sunday brunch. Restaurant is located near the Hudson River, but no views from the restaurant.

Reviewed 9 November 2015

We are longtime and frequent fans of MP Taverna and understand the pressures a restaurant faces in putting together a Restaurant Week menu. But on a recent visit half of our party decided to try the RW menu and were quite disappointed. An exception to this was the Macaronia (a pasta with lamb and ricotta) which was excellent. But the snapper ceviche just didn't come together - I don't know if it was a conflict in the seasonings or the quality of the grapefruit or the fish itself. The trout entree had similar issues - either something was off in the balance between olives and spices or the fish. The mushroom risotto was insufficiently 'mushroom-y'. And while my first bite impression of the veal risotto was - 'WOW, they nailed the egg yolk prep' - by the time I was half way through it just felt like I was eating a (tasty) egg porridge. Lastly, the yogurt dessert was fabulous as always. But the chocolate/pumpkin cake was pretty awful. Neither tasting particularly of pumpkin nor chocolate it was very dry and simply inedible once the vanilla ice cream ran out. All that said, the half of us who ordered off the normal dinner menu were very, very happy. The scallop appetizer, Dourade, and Mixed Grill were all fabulous (as always).

Which really brings us back to the question of, "Why do Restaurant Week?" If you view it as a way to showcase your restaurant to new customers I think MP Taverna failed pretty much completely - I don't know if I would come back if I only ate off the RW menu. But doing it 'right' - serving normal portion sizes of great dishes - means losing money on the food and hoping to make it up in drinks and/or future business. If a restaurant is not willing to do that I think it is better served by creating a special 'tasting' RW menu that gives the diner a good look into what they can expect the next time they visit. But what do I know?