“Lunch-good and fast”

Ranked #105 of 286 Restaurants in Ithaca
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese, Thai
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Description: The best Japanese restaurant in Ithaca. We serve hibachi sushi & Asian entrees.
Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

Arrived at 1:45 towards the tail end of lunch service. The menu had a variety of sushi and sashimi as well as hibachi and stir fry items. I ordered sushi/sashimi combo while my wife preferred the stir fried udon noodles with chicken. We both received miso soup and salad. All were delicious. It came out in proper sequence and fast, within 10-15 minutes of being seated. The sashimi was fresh and didn't taste fishy. I have eaten in HK, BJ, SH, NYC, Chicago, and LA, I thought the fish was pretty good compared to what's available in Ithaca and close to the quality of big cities. Even met the owner, Nikki and her Mom, who are Chinese immigrants that have been in ithaca for nearly a decade. They upgraded with the mall eatery serving hibachi to a full sit down restaurant with sushi bar, hibachi room that seats 60 and two private rooms available for small parties, located in next to Pier 1 Import, EMS and AAA.

Given that it was our first time there, we were not sure what to expect. After 45 minutes, we were convinced that we will return. Go check them out during the weekdays or weeknights, as the owner warn us that Friday and Saturday nights are packed with college students.

Reviewed 11 February 2017 via mobile

We go here all of the time! One off our favorite restaurants in Ithaca. They have definitely changed a lot. The quality of the sushi is amazing and the service is fantastic. We go once a week!

Reviewed 15 July 2016 via mobile

The worst sushi I've ever tried. I have sushi for dinner once a week on average. I was in town on business so I thought I'd give this place a try. The sushi smelled spoiled to the point I couldn't even finish it. Just horrible. Word to the wise if your takeout is packed with lemon, they're trying to hide something. Hope I don't get sick.

Ivy W, Manager at Tokyo Hibachi, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2016

Dear customer TJ G
My name is Ivy and I m the manager of the restaurant . First of all, thanks for ur comment and I really appreciate it . We appreciate all the comments and suggestions so we can improve our restaurant better. Our goal is to make sure customers satisfied. We are trying our best to deliver the best and fresh sushi to our customers . I m truly sorry that you did not like our sushi . I told the sushi chef about the issue and we are hoping that you could give us another chance . We want to make up for it . Please come to our restaurant again to taste and the dinner will be on me. Just tell the serve that you are Tj G . Feel free to look for me Ivy or the master sushi chef and let us know any suggestions and problems you have . Please let me know if there are anything that I can do to improve your experience. I m truly sorry for the bad experience you had. Please give us another chance.
Please feel free to conact me at tokyoithaca@gmail.com if you have any problems and concerns.
Thanks
sincerely, Ivy

Reviewed 19 June 2016 via mobile

Recently I visited this restaurant with a friend. After reading the reviews that spoke of the maki rolls and food as being great we thought for sure this would be a winner. I can't stress enough that the maki rolls are a slight notch above the rolls that are mass produced and sold in grocery stores. No creativity in presentation, the rolls are bland for the most part. The salad we received had a dressing that looked like someone tossed their cookies on it. I should have turned and bailed when there wasn't a JAPANESE person any where in the building. It's not a coincidence that the best Japanese food anywhere in he world is prepared by umm.... You guessed it a Japanese person. If you like or love the sushi and maki rolls here you need to get out of this town and experience authentic Sushi. This little soya number isn't it. Save your hard earned money and pick up a bento box from Wegmans.

Ivy W, Manager at Tokyo Hibachi, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2016

Dear customer
My name is Ivy and I m the manager of the restaurant.
First of all thanks your comment. We want to hear all kind of suggestions so that way we can improve our restaurant better. I m deeply sorry that you don't like our sushi. I totally understand your feeling. I had been to places that are really popular but just not my type. It's a world that everybody has his own preference and taste. Some people like Haagen Dazs brand vanilla ice cream and some people only eat Friendly's brand vanilla ice cream , even though they are pretty similar products. We read your comment and we are sure to make corrections. Just let you know that if you told us you did not like the food , we would be gladly refund the money and exchange the food. Are you still in Ithaca ? Please let us me know if there are anything that I can do to improve you experience. Please feel free to contact me at tokyoithaca@gmail.com if you have any more corners and questions. Your satisfaction is my goal. Please give us another chance and we will be our best to make you satisfied. :)

Thanks
Ivy

Reviewed 14 February 2016

First, we have been here before and enjoyed it every time. We were greeted by a very gracious young woman and seated. We haven't tried the hibachi yet but really enjoy their sushi and sashimi. There are so many wonderful choices so will be back again. Everything is always served attractively and with beautiful garnishes. Yes, good enough to eat. It is definitely "oishii". I think we are ready to try the Tokyo Boat which is served on a wooden boat. They even have a section for soy-paper wrapped sushi and plenty of hot green tea.