“Good Show”
Review of Kyushu Hibachi & Sushi Bar - CLOSED

Kyushu Hibachi & Sushi Bar
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 26 February 2012

The show at the Hibachi is always entertaining. The food is fresh and full of flavor. Good variety for your wallet size, dietary needs, and flavor preferences. Menu items are pretty good should you choose something not at the grill.

Reviewed 12 January 2012

I'm not sure of the total numbers of visit here but it must be over 30 times. The meal's have been excelllent. The service staff is prompt and very responsive.

Reviewed 1 July 2011

I was there yesterday with my husband and father-in-law.
We took our own wine. The waitress go three wine glasses and after we poured the wine into the glasses, came up and told us "you have to eat for $20 each if you are going to have the wine" - the $20/person requirement is for occupying a Hibachi table (it says so in the menu) - but this new condition is not listed anywhere in the menu!!
also since this was our first time there, we wanted to first order a few appetizers, see if we liked it, and only then order the main course - the vegetable tempura was horrible - tons of monosodium glutamate in the batter - and the tempura were huge chunks and soaking in oil (i know it is deep-fired, but it is not supposed to be soaking in oil) - we tried a couple more things - the vegetarian spring rolls were tasty, but so tiny and just two tiny spring rolls for $4.95 (at Taste of Thai you get better tasting ones for the same price, and one gets four of them, and they are much larger ones as well). The Hibachi shrimp was over priced and sweet despite asking them not to make it sweet - and over-priced at $7.95 for just 5 shrimp. We decided among ourselves that we'd order two more appetizers and leave - so when the waitress came to our table to check if we were ordering something else, we mentioned the fried rice and the avocado roll, and she said "That's it??" pretty rudely, snatched the menu from our hand and went over ranting to the chef in japanese/chinese - and they all looked at us and laughed!!
Overall - if one wants to go there to be insulted and treated badly with mediocre-to-bad food, you could try this place, but if you want good japanese food, try the collegetown place - much better ambience and very decent waitresses.

3  Thank a_south_indian
Reviewed 26 February 2011

I've been to Kyushu many times, and they never disappoint. The sushi chef is outstanding, the people are wonderful, and we've never had a bad experience. I'll admit I've had better sushi a couple times in my life, but both times in a much larger city, and the prices were almost double of course. For the money, it really can't be beat. Tender salmon sashimi, perfectly cooked hibachi rice, and dozens of sushi rolls to choose from. If you really want the best experience, sit at the bar and order a chef's special roll. You will be well taken care of.

Reviewed 26 February 2011

I have been going to Kyushu every Friday for lunch for about 5 years. I absolutely love their food. I don't recognize the place from what the other reviewers have said. The sushi is excellent, top notch in fact. The fish is always fresh and the chef's attention to detail and composition of the plates is exceptional. (see the pictures!) I have had the hibachi as well and it is always delicious and the meats properly cooked. Can't say anything about the tempura, never had it. Since we are regulars the chef usually makes us a treat at the end of the meal and it is always wonderful!
The service is usually very good. Every few months a new group of wait staff start so it can be a little rough for a couple of days but usually as soon as my cup is 1/2 full someone asks if I would like more and empty dishes don't stay on the table for more than a few seconds.
Fred (owner) and his wife are always happy to see us and ask after our family. All said this is one of my favorite places to eat in Ithaca.

3  Thank arianatsp