“some things have changed -”
Review of Gabriel’s Cafe - CLOSED

Gabriel’s Cafe
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: South American, Soups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed 12 March 2013

What I gather from the list of reviews is that previous reviews were before the move and some things have changed. Have to say I always felt the same about Gabriels food - especially croissants and breakfast. Totally delicious. In an effort to respond to the changes of the stockade area they have changed some aspects of their vision/menu. This is what I miss - breakfast, a really good simple menu where the ingredients were always fresh and had perfect flavors and handling. Simply put even the rice and beans could inspire a craving. I understand their desire to explore a new frontier - but I think the previous formula filled the gaps in the food offerings around here and now those gaps are here again. Wholesome, with a twist but still simple food that wasn't weighed down in butter or oil. For instance the soups ( which are still delicious) are always SO good and salad dressings are a masterpiece - allowing you to enjoy the flavor of the veggies while adding a nice experience along with it.

So that's my two cents - def. give them a try. Scones are a favorite too. The menu now is a bit confusing to me and bit heavy on the pork.

I loved loved loved the Gabriels classics ( that are missing from the new menu): huevos rancheros, chicken burrito ( with real stuff in it), THE LATIN COMBO w/ plantains and deliciousness, Fresh wrap specials, fallafel wrap,
NO ONE does it like you - so even if someone else makes burritos or breakfast they are not your burritos or breakfast.

from some big fans.

1  Thank s d
TDD00, Public Relations Manager at Gabriel’s Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2013

Thank you so much for your review, we really appreciate feedback (good and bad). I would just like to let you know that we do still have the Huevos Rancheros on our menu. Also, although we do not have the Latin Combo, we now have the Colombian Platter that is very similar (rice, beans, plantains...) except with more food! It can also be vegan/vegetarian if that is something you were looking for. Plus we have some of our old breakfast items on our Saturday brunch menu (cowboy skillet, egg sandwich, hash browns...)! Thanks for the suggestions, we are so happy to be open again!

Reviewed 12 March 2013

The previous reviewer apparently prefers something along the lines of Appleby's.
Gabriel's is all about FOOD...real food. There are very few places anywhere that can make
this claim. The croissants and the scones are superb. Gabriel's entree dishes are also special,
without parallel. Go there for the food.

1  Thank Merritt_Badge
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Loved the eclectic nature of this place (not fancy, but REAL) - we were the first customers the morning we dropped by and we snagged the great table in the window to look out on Kingston and eat huevos rancheros and breakfast burritos. Both were top-notch. The coffee exceeded our expectations and the complimentary scone Gabriel gifted us with tasted wonderful with it. This was our first trip to Kingston and when we come through again, we'll definitely look Gabriel up in his new location (he said he was moving in a month or so). He does a great job!

1  Thank dadzcats
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Gabriel's is most definitely my favorite restaurant in Kingston. I love the huevos rancheros and the croissants are probably the best I have tasted in America. Cute decor, with what seems to be a rotating photography exhibition, and the staff is personable and efficient. Very competitively priced as well!

Reviewed 14 September 2011

We went here today passing through after having read about it on the Trip Advisor app. We were not disappointed. It's an unobtrusive place, quite simple decor, rustic: my husband said it reminded him of an eatery in Uruguay where we once travelled, and indeed, the cook appears to be Latin American. All the food we ordered had this totally home-cooked feel and we were very happy with our meals, which, by the way, were not skimpy at all. The server was extremely personable and warm, very responsive and attentive. We were really pleased with this place. It was also extremely well priced, great value. Avoid fast food and go here instead. Apparently they are open for dinner Fridays and Saturdays as well as lunches and breakfasts throughout the week.

1  Thank Kotuku33