See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Schulte's has housekeeping cottages (I stayed in Cedar) and a motel, which I'm not familiar with. The cottage was clean and comfortable. For a place that sleeps four, there weren't enough dishes or silverware. However, sheets & towels were provided, and the latter were changed daily. (Sheets might have been too - I know they were changed at least once in a week!)
With no waterfront and no view of the mountains, this isn't a place, for me, to hang out. But it's 5 minutes outside Lake Placid village, maybe 20 minutes to Whiteface and Saranac Lake (using backroads for the latter). So getting out to do anything from shopping outlets to canoeing the wilderness area is easy by car.
Mrs. Owner is very happy to accommodate; overall, the place is fine but showing its owners' age. They've had it 40 years.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank stillgoin
Reviewed 25 August 2010

after several glasses of wine on a recent thursday night, my friends and i made the dubious decision to register for the xterra lake placid triathlon that sunday. another friend who had previously stayed at the lodge, called schultes that night and confirmed that they had a room for us. when we arrived two days later, we were warmly greeted by our host, birgit schulte (and the lodge kitty!). even though the one room was spacious enough for our party of four, birgit was kind enough to allow us an extra room--gratis! it was great to have the extra space for our bikes and gear. the rooms are actually little hansel-and-gretel-like cabins: charming, cozy, and clean. we left before dawn the next day to register for the race--a grueling off-road triathlon in the pouring rain! though we were way past checkout by the end of the race, birgit let us return to our rooms for hot showers--even though the rooms had already been cleaned. both of these gestures were the ultimate in hospitality...something you'd be hard pressed to find in a chain hotel and truly appreciated by our exhausted and muddy group! on top of that, this hidden gem is a great value for the money--even without the free extra room. we will definitely be back to the lodge for the xterra in 2011. and next time, we'll add on an extra day so we can relax and regroup in lovely lake placid before the long drive home!

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank supersonnick
Reviewed 7 June 2010

I had the pleasure of staying at the Schulte’s Family Lodge this Memorial Day weekend and just wanted share a little of my experience to help others who are thinking of staying in Lake Placid. The lodge is located minutes away from the center of town but even closer to mesmerizing beauty of the Adirondacks. The room was very neat, clean, and had an amazing private balcony with a view of mountains. The lodge and rooms are definitely unique and not you’re average Days Inn. It looks like it has been picked up from Southern Germany in the Alps and placed in Lake Placid with wonderful wood work and a very open country feel. It also has cabins and for sure next time I would like to stay in one. It seems weird to me to go to the Adirondacks and say that I stayed in a place like the Econolodge. Not only is the place great but the warmth, friendliness, and family atmosphere that the Schulte’s give you when you stay makes you feel like part of the family. I would definitely recommend staying with the Schulte’s and enjoying all of the beauty that the Adirondacks and Lake Placid has to offer.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
5  Thank Firecat2003
Reviewed 25 May 2010

This little inn is a great deal. The owners are very warm and inviting. I've stayed here twice when visiting my daughter at her camp in Lake Placid. I paid about $60 a night which was relatively cheap in comparison to the bigger name hotels in the area. There are a few motels/inns that may even be cheaper than this but they're not as nice. This place is clean and a great value. Spacious rooms with pretty much everything you need and they serve complimentary breakfast (tea, coffee, bagels and fruit). Its definitely not luxury - far from it but it serves its purpose!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 January 2010

I wouldnt recomend this place to my enimies.. wow wish i would have looked at the reviews... She pulled the same stuff on me and my wife.. Over charged us more than 25 a nite and we were there for 6 days, was told breakfast was included, if you consider hard doughnuts and a rude woman serving them continential breakfast then this is your place. Oh and same doughnuts sat there for 3 days.Counted over 20 dead flys in the room, on the tables and dressers, kinda odd cause the woman goes threw your room as soon as you leave and says she is cleaning it but is really snooping around. She was upset because i brought a cook pot and forman grill she was worried about electricty and said we can do LIMITTED cooking. these items were under the sink. Speaking of the sink...it was clogged and i told her about it and she asked me what i poored down the drain. If you like being talked down to from some sort of mother figure this is your place. WOOD BURNING FIRE PLACES are nice when the hav the tools and the safty screen.. there was a tiny shovel no glove, no fork, nothing to control the fire. She told us to go to the store and buy fire logs if we wanted a fire. we were there for 6 days and spent a bunch ov money just to stay warm.. everythings old, bed and couches are over 20 years based on the date on the tag.You would think this lady would be happy since she has a amazing property worth millons in one of the most beautiful places in the world. she snooped threw our things and really put a damper on our trip.when you try to talk to her she shuts out your conversation when shes good and ready then theres no more disscussion of YOUR money YOUR breakfast YOUR privacy YOUR anything!! Please take my warning you would have more fun sleeping in my spare bedroom..Oh and dont bring candles cause she doesnt like them, i tried to remind her of the romance but she didnt understand. ..I have never been treated like this before in my life in such a beautiful place like lake placid. I speak the unfortunate truth..it was a terrible experience here.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple