“Great Surprise - finally this location has a Hit!”
Review of Scenic Root

Scenic Root
Ranked #5 of 33 Restaurants in Manlius
Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

We've eaten at previous restaurants at this location and they all closed for a good reason. A big reason to the failure was the lack of ambiance . There was moldy carpeting and dated decor . Well not anymore. They redid the interior including taking out the moldy smelling carpeting, re-doing the woodwork paneling inside and putting in new hardwood floors. They made the 3-season room more of an additional dining room and it's just lovely.

The menu was excellent . So many great selections to choose from. I had the Southwestern Pork chop. Excellent portion size and it was just delicious .Someone else got the chicken cordon bleu and it was excellent. The 1/2 salads we all started with were all great. Very large portion and 2 could've shared one 1/2 portion salad. French onion soup gratinee was also a hit.

The dessert made by Mad" Mary was really special . Prices were reasonable - the only entree over $20 was steak.

The only issue we had was they got the side dishes wrong after we repeatedly told them what we wanted .

We are Very excited about this restaurant . We definitely will be returning!!

Reviewed 28 April 2017 via mobile

The Scenic Root is by far one of the better dining experiences in the Syracuse Area. Tucked in between a set of stores and the "Swan Pond" on the Main Street of Manlius, you might miss it. The exterior may be unassuming but the interior is very cool and well designed. There is two levels of seating, and a bar. This summer (2017) there will be expanded seating on the new porch along back as well.
Ok so about the food. It's incredible. The menu has a great variety, and the combinations that the chef puts together are delicious and there is something for everyone. The ingredients as so fresh and whether you want to be healthy but feel like you got a real meal, or you just want to enjoy good food, it's all here. I've had both lunch and dinner and it's been spot on each time. Oh, by the way to pass on dessert would be just plain wrong. Especially if the Orange, almond, brown sugar crumble cake is on the menu. It's a genius confectionary design of the perfect balance of a light orange essence with an even lighter touch of almond cream frosting and brown sugar crumble layers. It's worth going just for that. They also have a chocolate layer cake that any chocolate lover will rave over. I just have to keeping back till I've tried them all! The service has always been wonderful with a very professional and friendly staff.
Pricing is mid range, atmosphere is casual and parking is a shared lot with the neighboring stores, but I've found a spot every time I've gone. Great place to met a friend, date, or just chill out by yourself.
(I personally wouldn't recommend it for young kids.)

Reviewed 14 March 2017 via mobile

Atmosphere:
Beautiful contemporary rustic feel. We were sat by the fireplace which kept us warm on a cold winter night. Incredible ambiance.

Food & Beverage:
Best chicken sandwich I have ever had. I didn't even know a sandwich could taste that good. Perfectly breaded chicken topped with fresh mushrooms and garlic aioli on a onion bun. They give generous portions. I paired it with a UFO Harpoon Raspberry wheat beer. Which also was perfection.

Service:
Absolutely excellent. Joy from every part of the wait staff. Some of the best service I have received in a while. Food came out very fast as well. The service was so good that my wife picked up an application to work there!

Reviewed 8 March 2017 via mobile

A friend and I recently had lunch here. Everything was great--food, service, prices and decor. We were seated by a very pleasant hostess in the lower room with a fireplace--perfect for a cool day. Service was prompt, efficient and friendly. I enjoyed the soup/salad lunch combo, with a delicious Italian Wedding soup and a very good Caesar salad, complete with always welcomed cheese shavings. My friend enjoyed his onion soup and house burger with fries. Even the owner stopped by to say hello--a nice touch. Upstairs the new bar area and adjoining eating area is much improved and brighter. Hopefully, the Scenic Root will be around for a long time. They're certainly off to a great start.

1  Thank Carver32
Reviewed 14 February 2017

Ok food, not up to the prior Chefs' higher standard. The renovation left it noisy and sorta sterile. We tried it a couple times and was underwhelmed each time. They are insensitive to gluten free people on the whole.

1  Thank Dr Ralph K