“Atrium hotel”

Melville Marriott Long Island
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Melville
Reviewed 19 October 2017

Stayed here for a wedding. As a previous reviewer mentioned, this is a popular place for weddings around the area. (They do give a generously discounted rate for wedding groups.) So noisy people may be coming back late at night on weekends, but I doubt this happens during the week.

This is an atrium hotel so about half the rooms face the atrium, and some face an inner hallway/corridor where there are conference rooms, and sliding doors face the hallway. I got a hallway room and immediately requested a change, which they did the next day. The room is the same as other rooms - but I felt like I was sleeping in a hallway. You have zero privacy with curtains open, no sun, and if people are noisy in the conference rooms you will hear it.

The atrium has an open chlorinated indoor pool and there can be a smell of chlorine in the long hallways you walk down to get to all rooms, even the outside rooms - not just on the first floor but other floors. If you're sensitive to this, it would be best to stay somewhere else. The outside room I was switched to was much more pleasant but windows don't open, so again, if you're chemically sensitive, be aware.

You have to call a couple of days in advance to avoid an inner or atrium room as they do get completely booked up. The staff are nice and try to be helpful / accommodating but if they're booked up, there's nothing they can do to change your room.

Otherwise, the hotel was more or less what you would expect of a Marriott and once my room was changed, I was happy and comfortable there.

Room Tip: If you don't want an atrium or hallway-facing room, call in advance to request an outside room.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

I was travelling alone for work & this stay was Awesome. The hotel was so clean, staff so friendly & helpful i kept thinking this place is unreal! I don't want to mention anyone by name because everyone i encountered was exceptional!

Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

I had a great experience at Melville Marriott Long Island , the staff were friendly and helpful. The grounds and rooms are well kept and clean. The restaurant & bar had great food & service as well.

Sana Arshad was so accommodating & helpful, I thank her for her warm reception & service! Thank Melville Marriott Long Island

Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

I recently gave a seminar at the Melville Marriott and stayed in their beautiful hotel . The rooms are very nice and very clean . There is a great bar and restaurant the food was great I loved the calamari ! There is valet parking if you are staying at least one night and the staff was extremely helpful . I would stay here again .

Reviewed 5 October 2017

I have stayed at this hotel several times in recent years on business. .It has generally been an outstanding place - the atrium inside is majestic and the staff if helpful. But I had trouble this week. This is the time of year(October) when it gets warm in the day and cool at night. However this hotel is either not capable or not willing to provide both heating and air conditioning at the same time. Most hotels that charge like this one have both simultaneous heat and air. I had to order blankets and a space heater. The pool is huge but the cold water was not inviting. But the main problem was that the lock on the door would not accept my keys. I demonstrated the problem to engineering , who promised to fix it and they did not, I had to repeat showing that my keys did not work to convince them a problem existed. Replacement keys malfunctioned They also did not report the problem to the oncoming shift. So I kept getting locked out of my room over and over and finally was a captive in the room I left the room unlocked to go out and get breakfast.. They offered to change rooms but I do not travel lightly and it would be inconvenient They needed to fix the lock !

The rate varied from one night to the next by over $100.

Room Tip: get an outside room not facing the LIE
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melville
2.2 km away
2.3 km away
Extended Stay America - Long Island - Melville
6.3 km away
The Inn At Fox Hollow Hotel

Been to Melville Marriott Long Island? Share your experiences!