Stonefence Resort
Riverview Motel(Waddington)
  • Free Internet
Potsdam Inn(Potsdam)
View Hotel
All reviewsadirondack chairsthe riverfront deskthe st lawrence riverbreakfast was includedroom was cleanmanor househash brownscoffee makerfront porchhigh schoolbeautiful view of the lakeopen houseolder establishmentup to datefridge and microwavenext morning
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 October 2017

Had to come to Ogdensburg to find a room for the College Family Weekend. On a positive note-quiet & peaceful area. Owner has owned property since 1980's and recently renovated the suites to make larger. Front desk is very helpful and friendly. Price was reasonable, but I think there may be better options in price range for the area. TV offered many channels. However, wifi is almost non-existent. Routers need updating. Front desk has problems with internet at times too. This was frustrating when trying to research the area. Breakfast was included and had different options on both weekend mornings, which was nice. There was ssg, bacon, eggs, homefries, waffles, muffins, bagels, ssg gravy & biscuits, many options to toast, cereals, juice, coffee. I thought they had a nice breakfast selection - more options than most inns. I had to go both nights that we stayed, to the Front Desk to ask for the 3rd set of towels for our 3rd person. I feel that they should be aware of how many people are registered for the room. Our beds were not very comfortable, too soft, so my husband didn't like b/c of his bad back. There was refrigerator that badly needed defrosting, microwave, coffee maker. I believe housekeeping should take notice of the back deck, b/c when we arrived in our room, there is a door leading to back deck. There were a few chairs to sit & view the St. Lawrence. However, one chair had large glob of brown stuff that was still there when we left. Not sure that A/C would work well in summer in the room we stayed in. I also believe that the peeling paint in front and back of building & on windows should be addressed. Went to "game room" by river- do not go there in October-must be under renovation as well as the gazebo on the pier.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 October 2017

Let me begin by saying that we almost didn't stay here based on some prior reviews. I am so glad we gave it the chance because it was a very positive experience. We stayed in a suite in the Stone Fence Century Manor House....this is an old building that has been updated with suites....ours' a Jacuzzi room. The suite was large, two person Jacuzzi, king size bed that was amazingly comfortable. The bathroom was updated. The suite overall was very clean, welcoming, cozy. There is a frig., microwave, coffee maker in the room. Our room had its' own little porch that looked out onto the main road. There was also a very large balcony that we had access to on the back of the building....looking out onto the resort property with a distant view of the river. Breakfast was fine....eggs, sausage patties, hash browns, juices, coffee. A variety of pastries and breads for toasting. On the property, there was a pier that went out over the water with Adirondack chairs to sit and relax. There is also a gazebo on the pier....the workers were doing some repairs while I was there. We will make it a point to travel up this way next year and stay during the warmer months to make use of the pool as well as relax by the river to enjoy.

Stayed: October 2017
1  Thank BAShannon1
Bruce L, Owner at Stonefence Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2017

Thank you for chhosing The Stonefence. We look forward to your furure return.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

The room was clean. The door between rooms was not locked made me feel uncomfortable. Stood at the front desk for at least 15 mins. At check in.
The breakfast room was not comfortable and not very clean. The carpet in that room is long overdue to be changed. So hot and stuffy, no TV strange choices for breakfast.

The nicest thing was the sunsets over the river and the pool.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank SeriousSandy
Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

Two words: Certified toilet. We checked in to Stonefence today with high hopes. They have a beautiful location on the St. Lawrence River however the accommodations can be likened to something out of the "Hotel Hell" television show. We checked into room 201 and were immediately greeted with a musty smell in the room which permeated everywhere. The door leading to the outside rear "patio" doesn't appear to close tightly as the room is full of mosquitoes. Since we checked in about 30 minutes ago, we have killed at least 6 mosquitoes that have been flying around. As I type this, my wife just announced to me "There is a dead fly on the floor!" and "There's another one!". There are also spiderwebs on the top of the curtain valances which remnants of dead bugs in them which have clearly been there for quite some time. I am calling around to hotels so we can switch properties. DO NOT STAY HERE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank RealStuart
Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

This was probably the worst experience of our lives. We booked this hotel and had picked one of their best rooms only to find several issues.
Issue #1 upon entering the room after check in to find that it had not been cleaned. Sheets were still pulled back and towels on the floor in the bathroom. Disgusting crap hole!
Issue #2 after letting them clean the room and returning to the hotel several hours later we found our keys no longer worked to the room.
Issue #3 stopped for breakfast in the morning only to find one of the worst buffets we had seen in forever at a hotel. I was seriously starting to believe the rooms were rented out by the hour here.

To me this hotel will not be on the map very long. It will not survive charging over 200 a night and making mistakes like this. People will not put up with it.

Only advice would be to look beyond this hole and find something else me and my wife will never stay at such a crap hole again in our lives!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank 74Sparky74
Bruce L, Owner at Stonefence Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2017

Unfortunately I recall the incident very well with the unmade room; it is a rare oversight and seldom happens to us. Please except my apology. My wife and I immediately made up your room and personally made sure it was clean and available to you in less than one half hour. You indicated to me it was not a problem, as you were going out anyway.
It probably would have been proper and fair of you in your scathing critique to have noted how tastefully the room was decorated, furnished and clean and comfortable. But you did not !
This is a very nice corner jacuzzi room and many couples have enjoyed and commented positively on it.
Our complimentary breakfast ends at 10:00 am, is it possible you got there after it ended and in the process of being put away ? We usually only receive very positive comments on our full hot breakfast.
While checking out with our front desk clerk you did not mention the breakfast or anything else upon checking out. Our kitchen staff would have been happy to make your breakfast to order, even if you were late. It would not have been the first time.
Our card entry locking system works exceptionally good, the cards on occasion for various reasons do loose their magnetism. I am sorry for the inconvenience of your having to go to the desk and secure a new key. However this incident hardly justifies the malicious and angry review. I am truly puzzled and confused by your irresponsible unprovoked response. We work very hard to earn our business and make our guests comfortable and pleased with their stay. Your review as unjust as it hurts those efforts, damages our reputation and discourages our conscientious staff. I just don't understand your motive in writing.
Some reviews I take very seriously and in turn take corrective action, but yours is not one of them.

Bruce LaRose