See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I would recommend eating here over staying here. The food is definitely authentic Indian cooking; however, the rooms are not the cleanest and appear old. The Shangri-la has some farm animals (i.e. ducks) which are adorable. There are only three television channels, one of which is Indian! Haha.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 November 2010

I have stay there with my dog in "that special room" Small but sufficient for one adult and one big dog. I found the room clean--I have eaten there and the food is true home indian cooking and delicious. The host and hostess are warm and welcoming and eager to please. The site itself cannot be beat--the sound of the water, wind in the woods, proximity to hiking trails--a perfect setup for "getting away" The past reviews were several years ago and I found an upgrade difference from last year. Don't give up on them--it's a wonderful retreat--You just can't be too needy---They are in the process of renovating.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank pas2ral
Reviewed 21 November 2009

Too bad I didn't read the reviews before booking a one-night stay that I thought would be a nice getaway for my wife and I. This place was unacceptable, and the room was a glorified tent with sheets and pillows smelling like they had been outside for weeks. The heat did not work, and the air inside the room was far colder than the moderate temperature outside. We ended up leaving at midnight because there was no way we could get a night's sleep in that miserable environment. Since then I have been in arguments with the "staff" (the "manager," we were told, is out of the country, in India) to get a refund. They have finally agreed to a partial (1/2) refund of our one night's charge, but as of this point the original charge hasn't even shown up on my credit card statement so I have no idea whether they will make good on this. They have complained to us repeatedly about what it cost for us to stay there (we were the ONLY guests on a Saturday night in mid-November in the Catskills). They don't seem to understand what it takes to run a business for American customers with basic expectations. They have done nothing but complain to us, while assuring us that heat, amenities, etc. were all present and working in our room. Not the case. These people are indeed false advertisers, but I'm not sure if they're incompetent or malicious, or a little bit of both. Either way, do not even think about staying here. (As for the "best" Indian restaurant that they tout on their website, it didn't look functional, or up-to-date. Lights and heat weren't even on). Avoid!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jobabybuck
Reviewed 7 September 2009

This is a very dirty facility. How dirty? You can't be without flip flops while in your room, especially the bathroom. The carpets are diabolically filthy, there were blood droplets on our sheets (not ours) and the towels were all stained with brown stuff. It took the hot water over 15 minutes to work and then there was the MOLD SMELL. There were only 2 TV channels on a television that was circa 1983 and no lights anywhere on the property to help you see while you were walking to the car. We felt bad for the owners because they were so nice...we tried to call other places while we were there to get a room but every other nice place was booked. We sucked it up and considered it to be like camping. The Indian food was good....ambiance really weird....and we were the only people there for the first of two nights. In short....these people have had nine years to make this place habitable and clearly they don't see anything wrong with what they have so if you have really low standards and don't mind catching something off of the toilet seat, then this is the place for you! I wish we took pictures for the Better Business Bureau because this place was just so moldy-gross.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2009

I stayed there two years ago by myself because I wanted to get away from city. Upon arrival, the owner greeted to me and showed me and explained that there was no power due to the thunder storm right before my arrival. I was surprised but the owner served me hot tea and invited me to their fire place in the dining room. I enjoyed chatting with his family at the fire place and reading several spiritual books at their library. They have a great indian food and I enjoyed having dinner with this family, which made me feel so comfortable. Later in the day, they showed me the room after power was back on. The room was decent size for myself and clean.
Next day, I hiked trail near the hotel and climbed mountain on the same day. The owner was so kind to show me around in the area. I really needed this retreat at the time and I really appreciate to the owner and his family for their hospitality. I recently checked this site and I felt terrible to see bad reviews. Unfortunately, I think those people expect too much for everything. I wanted to write my experiences there so people can have better judgement. I can say this is great retreat place if you are feeling down or getting away from city.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo