“Brisket was goooood!!!”
Review of Smoke Shack Blues

Smoke Shack Blues
Description: Smokeshack Blues is an Urban Style barbeque that focuses on regional authenticity and simplicity. We will be offering the basics: chicken, brisket, pork, ribs, traditional sides, and desserts. Our beverage program will feature artisan sodas, craft beers, and local wines. Our soda and beer offerings will be from the major barbeque regions. The "approachability" of our restaurant will be prominent. Driving our business is our personalized service, high food quality, and unmatched atmosphere
Reviewed 9 October 2016

I went for the official grand opening tonight so it was busy...The smell when I walked in almost made me drool lol...I got a brisket and pulled pork platter to go with tater salad and coleslaw...I got it to go because I was solo...The brisket was so juicy and tender you could have eaten it without teeth...The pulled pork was not dry as I sometimes find in other places...The tater salad I was not fond of but the coleslaw I really liked...I look forward to my next visit to try the chicken and ribs...Price wise it's not fast food but it's not fancy fancy price either...Good BBQ for about 23 bucks for my order and I have lunch left over for Sunday...Took about 5-8 mins to get my order handed to me...

Almost forgot...The atmosphere was on the family side with kids but had a mix of younger folks also...

Date of visit: October 2016

Reviewed 25 September 2016 via mobile

I ordered a soda and when they handed me a can I knew right then it wasn't going to be good. Atmosphere was good, nicely decorated and clean. I got the chicken tray with two sides. The chicken was good, that's the only reason I gave a poor rating and not a terrible rating. I thought the serving size was a little small. They serve it cut up off the bone, which I didn't like it should be served on the bone. The Mac and cheese was white cheese, I like a yellow Mac and cheese for a bbq place. It was decent, but I wouldn't say good. Had very little taste. The baked beans, which should be a staple in bbq place were terrible. It was like a bean soup, had four or five different types of beans and it was in just water, no taste what so ever. My wife got a pulled pork sandwich, sandwich alone no side was $14, with two sides it was $19. I know the rent in this area is high so they have to charge a little more here. I understand that and wouldn't mind paying more, but it has to be worth it. Her pork tasted like tuna, not good at all. My daughter got the wings, very dry and tasteless. Some of the wings were so small that they left that "third piece" on that your supposed to throw away I guess to make them look bigger. We didn't even eat them they were so bad. They did have a big water jug in the back that you can get your own water from. I am a very picky when it comes to bbq, and I will not be going back.

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed 7 September 2016

The setting is very nice. Great homestyle bbq joint in the making I think. Lots of thought seems to have gone into the atmosphere. Big chalkboard menus, Large open space lots of wood and brick. There's even a display of the food in the front by the door. I felt like I was in a brooklyn or Midtown NY type bbq smokehouse when I walked in. That's about where the positive experience stops unfortunately.

Expectations were set high since I do enjoy a good BBQ place and have been to many high end and low end places. First off I felt the prices were a bit high, but I forgave that because of the location and the expectation of a great meal. Unfortunate for me I was mistaken. I ordered the Ribs which is a common go to BBQ meal. I also got two sides, Mac n cheese and Cole slaw. The meal arrived on a large metal tray which looked great. The sides were in paper cups which is fine. The utensils are plastic which is also okay. The drink was $3.00 and they handed me a can of coke and a cup of ice. The ribs were not hot and they were overcooked dry. I had to use a lot of bbq sauce. The slaw didn't taste homemade at all. The Mac n cheese was okay though, nothing special. The person I was with ordered the Pork and beans which looked more like ministrone soup it was very watery and tasteless. And everything was laid out on the tray on top of a soggy piece of white bread, which they later told us was supposed to be Texas toast. They weren't packed and there wasn't a long line at all, so I don't know what the problem was with the quality of the food.

Saving grace and why I will be back in the future if the place doesn't just go out of business. The owner (I believe it was the owner or a partner) Knew we weren't happy with our meal and sat with us to ask our opinion on the matter. Granted some of her answers I didn't like, for instance "The Pork and beans was terrible and tasteless and nothing like traditional pork and beans" which she replied, "Well some people make pork and beans different". So I guess they just don't know how to make it or choose to make it terrible on purpose. I did however like that she offered to get me more ribs and invited us back for another meal in the future on her. I highly doubt she will remember us when we come back since it will have been a while, but the thought was nice. That's the only reason I didn't give 1 star.

So we will be back, and we aren't expecting a free meal. But we do expect the meal to be excellent quality like the places we have gone to in NYC and brooklyn. Mainly because the prices are about the same and the ambiance is the same. I guess the place fools you a bit.

1  Thank Thomas P
Reviewed 28 August 2016 via mobile

The place smelled awesome and it looked like it would be great. There was no one there and it took too long to get the food. The side of corn was ice cold. The kids burger for $6 was cold and dry. I'd be embarrassed to serve it. Wasn't it just cooked asked my daughter. The place needs to step it up.

Reviewed 27 August 2016

My family and I were enjoying sometime in PJ. a beautiful day shopping and so food. Walked past SSB and smelled delish BBQ, I was hooked and voted for the BBQ place! I WON! lol enter the place to a very nice looking place. Tables and chairs line the right side of the place with some 2 tops on the left. Decor was clean and lighted real well. Front window area was open to let the weather in and the smells out!! So lets get the negatives out of the way. Menus are listed on Boards, my wife pointed at the Board and the Gent behind the counter said dont "touch" the Board (its still wet...) then dont post it till its dry, btw she wasnt that close to it. Then as we started to order he rattled off what they didnt have, Kids chicken fingers, fries, grilled cheese if you wanted American cheese, they had cheddar. Well if you dont have dont put on the board!! Ya gotta have product in stock!!!
The order process went smooth and we sat down and awaited our # to be called. They must have read the complaints about small #s as they wrote the # is sharpie on the reciept. Waited approx 10 minutes to be called, no complaint on that.
Now to the good stuff. the food was DELISH. I had the pulled pork platter, flavor was delish, food was hot. Wife had the Brisket, flavorful, nice smoke sides were collard greens, mac and cheese (kids took mine) I would have liked more flavor on it and cole slaw, crisp, fresh, good but a little more flavor i would have liked. Kids had a Kids burger and grilled cheese with chedder. They enjoyed so good enough for me! They have a beer list that looked very good, but I went with a soda. All in all a good place to go. We will hit up again in our rotation of Pt Jeff places to eat at.

1  Thank SKJet