“OK for one night”

Red Roof PLUS Poughkeepsie
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
Reviewed 12 November 2016

Arrived later on in the evening and room was ready; however, it smelled as if it had not been rented for months. The floor was clean and the room seemed to be clean. When I opened the refrigerator to put in some sodas, the stinch was so bad that I decided to just wait and drink them warm the next morning and there was no electricity in the refrigerator. Tried to get change from the front desk and the desk person was too busy to bother with me. So glad to see morning come and check out.

Room Tip: Find another place
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank PrestigeFL

Reviewed 5 November 2016 via mobile

We were here to go to the Culinary Institute of America. The hotel room was newly renovated and very clean. The bed was not the most comfortable but for a night it was adequate. One reason we chose the Red Roof Plus was because it is friendly!!! I will be returning when we visit our daughter at the CIA.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 October 2016 via mobile

Booked the room 2 months prior and quoted a price of $139.99. Was told no email confirmation was required. Upon arrival was told SAME room was $199.99. While the rates were inflated due to local college family weekend, the check-in host went ahead and acknowledged our original price quote. While the outside of the hotel is an eyesore, the room is surprisingly very nice. It is large, clean and well appointed. I would recommend the hotel based on the the recognition of the host to bill us in the original quoted price as well as a clean and comfortable room. BTW this is the only hotel I have ever booked that does not send confirmation email as best practice.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Susan A
Christel L, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS Poughkeepsie, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2016

Dear Susan A., thank you for posting this review, as we appreciate all feed back. We most certainly do send email confirmations, I apologize if you were told otherwise. We will always honor the rate that the reservation was booked at. I am happy that you were pleased with the cleanliness of the room. All of our rooms are unusually large, and do include microwaves, refrigerators, in room coffee makers, hair dryers, irons and ironing boards. I hope you were able to enjoy our complimentary continental breakfast before you left. We appreciate your business and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 5 October 2016

This was the worse hotel I have ever stayed at. Bad smell, smell was so bad I couldn't sleep at night. I booked this hotel last minute, didn't want to spend $50 more a night at a better hotel. I learn my listen. The first night the hotel was full so they could not offer me a different room but the second night there was but they still didn't offer it to me. I assume all the rooms have a bad Oder.

Room Tip: Go with at less a 4 star hotel
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank maychin623
Reviewed 27 September 2016

We ended up here because we booked too late and this was the best option available for a visit we needed to be in Poughkeepsie for. I have not stayed in a Red Roof in over 25 years. I was hopeful that the changes they made would make it ok.

The good: the plank and tile floors in the rooms were nice as I did not get yucked out with carpet most hotels do have. Our rooms were very spacious which was also a huge plus. The two different managers on duty were lovely and did their best to assist us.

The bad: Our first night we were on the first floor and as soon as I walked in at 4pm in the afternoon, I knew it would be bad. I could hear the people up above us walking around their room. We asked right away to move but the hotel was booked. The manager told us we could move the next day. Starting at 1am the neighbors upstairs had a bowling party or something. For an hour and and half, until 2:30am, all we could hear was walking and things dropping. The ceilings on the first floor are not sound proof at all or at least the room in which we were in. I would make sure you are a sound sleeper or at least get a room on the second floor before staying here. When we did move the second night, we were sent to a room that had not been made up form the day before so the manager sent us to yet another room. Again, the managers were very helpful. Third room was fine. Quite at night.

Red Roof has certainly made some improvements, but for $165 a night, I was not pleased. I am not sure if they think it is cute but the mini soaps and tissue packages are outdated and just feel like an old hotel. For the amount of money it costs to stay here, they could continue to make some minor improvements to have it feel mote like a hotel and not the motel I remember it being decades ago.

Room Tip: Second floor only
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family