“Really nice”
Review of Terrapin

Terrapin
Reserve with OpenTable
Terrapin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 58 Restaurants in Rhinebeck
Price range: US$14 - US$36
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Livingston Street
Description: We are passionately committed to providing our guests with a delightfully unique dining experience. As a Hudson Valley dining destination, we strive to consistently provide you with the freshest, highest quality food; celebrating the robust local bounty. Whether a quiet dinner for two or large family gathering, our staff is dedicated to creating a personalized experience served in a warm, yet elegant environment. From kitchen to table, our holistic approach to the dining experience compels us to be uncompromising in the quality of our product.
Reviewed 20 November 2017

Beautiful historical property, super professional service in the main dining room, delicious locally sourced meal. Just right from appetizer to dessert!. A buzzing bar is open late on the other side - very lively if that’s your thing! We will be back.

Reviewed 13 November 2017

A couple of friends and I had a fabulous Hudson Valley Restaurant Week dinner at Terrapin last weekend, and we were SO glad we made reservations 2 months ago.....they were packed!
Restaurants participating in HVRW agree to offer 3-course dinners (appetizer, main dish, dessert) for $32.95, however some of them also offer 2 courses for (app, main) for $29.95. Being old HVRW veterans, we agreed not to duplicate our orders so that we could give tastes to each other.
For my app, I ordered the truffled fig, brie, and shallot quesadilla which was topped with arugula in a light garlic dressing. It was way too large for one person and easily big enough to share with a table of 4. I gladly shared with my friends who were not as enamored with their appetizer choices. The duck quesadilla could have been good but was overpowered and made soggy by the too-sweet mango salsa plopped on top. The Tuscan kale salad was tasty enough but was really nothing special. Felt like I had really scored with my appetizer choice.
For my main course, I ordered the pork chop which is the same one they offer on their regular menu. It is brined in maple syrup, grilled to perfection, then finished with a scrumptious apple-Calvados demi-glace. Served with a plank of sweet potatoes and garlicky spinach, it was all delicious. The lamb shank was tender but less flavorful than my pork chop. The hangar steak was perfectly seasoned and cooked, juicy and delicious as well. The other real winner was the salmon, perfectly grilled and served with delicata squash.....one of my personal favorites. For dessert, we shared creme brulee and lava cake. The creme brulee stole the show even though the decadent chocolate cake was great also.
Terrapin has certainly figured out how to do HVRW. By showcasing their most delicious apps and entrees, they create a desire to return.....again and again. When restaurants use HVRW as a way to shove a lot of their less expensive pastas and burgers at the patrons, they shoot themselves in the foot because diners don't get to try the good stuff at a discount. Even if a participating restaurant only breaks even financially during RW, they still make out in the long run.....because people find out how delicious the food on their regular menus is. Hudson Valley Restaurant Week is here to stay, so hopefully more restaurants take a cue from Terrapin. Either way, the fall, 2017 HVRW made me want to return to Terrapin very soon!

Reviewed 13 November 2017

We were lucky to have visited during restaurant week. There was a wait, so we waited at the bar. The female bartender was extremely nice, outgoing, and hospitable. When our table was ready they transferred our bill to the restaurant. The best appetizer was the Fig, Brie and Roasted Onions quesadilla. My husband and I fought over who could finish it. But his scallops were soft on the inside and perfectly crispy on the outside, with a tasty pineapple dipping sauce. The Braised Lamb Shank melted off the bone. The taste with the mash potatoes and cabbage was heavenly. We were said to find at the end that the Valley Apple Crisp was finished. But the waiter saved the last Blueberry cake for us. And it was AMAZING! As was the pumpkin bread pudding - and I normally don't like bread pudding. The staff were all very attentive, and nice. A great warm experience during a cold night.

Reviewed 12 November 2017

I discovered Terrapin when a friend suggested we meet here for drinks. One of my favorite spots--delicious appetizers, fantastic meals, and always incredibly friendly! I've never had a bad meal or bad experience here.

Reviewed 12 November 2017

Whenever in the area, we stop in at Terrapin for a bite to eat. This time the place was full but found a seat at the bar. Friendly and fast service. Food came out delicious and hot. Haven't had a bad meal here and enjoy going back every time. Cant go wrong!