“Disappointing Easter Dinner”

Morton's The Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #351 of 1,366 Restaurants in Rochester
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Very excited to experience Easter dinner at Morton’s Rochester. Unfortunately the dinner did not live up to expectations.

Our waiter was kinda slow and lacked personality. Alternate table showed their server was engaged and although they were seated after us their food came earlier. Our waiter neglected to tell us about the Easter special :(

One of our steaks was quite underdone and was taken back to “put back on the grill”. So to speak. I have an issue with restaurants returning food back to customer— for $65 can’t they provide new correctly cooked piece of food? for over $100 per person check we expect exceptional service not just a “free dessert”

In Rochester for the money I recommend Black and Blue; it is consistently good and a better value for the money.

1  Thank Carol G

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

We (2 couples) went to Morton's to celebrate the Christmas holiday.
We started with before dinner cocktails and we were seated promptly at our reservation time. We had a bottle of wine with dinner, which was recommended and was a nice pairing to our meal. Our waiter was fabulous and well informed. We had appetizers, salads and a main meal, Filet, of course.
The meal was excellent but make sure you go prepared. It is an expensive restaurant but we knew that in advance and were fine with it.
It was a special occasion and worth every penny. We will definitely go again. Enjoy!

Reviewed 5 March 2018

Simply put, don't waste your money! From the beginning, we had a bad experience. We did not have reservations, but decided to give it a try. After inquiring about dining, we were promptly told by the hostess that we could "check back in 5 minutes" to see if they have any tables available and told we could wait in the bar. We eventually went back to the hostess and were sat in the dinning room. While the bartender was awesome and the service in the dinning room was very good, we found the overall experience too expensive. Our appetizers were excellent, and the bone-in tenderloin equally as good, but my fish entree was a scant piece not worthy of the price, the cauliflower-truffle mashed side dish was bland, and our bread was served with no butter knives, only steak knives. The wine list was extensive but not many good choices at reasonable prices. Finally, our server had to offer the Landry's club plan at the end of our evening that felt like a sales pitch for a timeshare. It just did not leave a good taste in our mouths. Thank goodness Rochester has other high-end restaurants worthy of our patronage.

1  Thank Leetowns
Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

We went to Morton’s for our anniversary celebration. There is free valet parking. We told them ahead of time it was our anniversary, so when we arrived, we had a personalized menu to select from. They took our picture and presented us our picture in a folder to remember the event. The dinner was delicious, and the service was exceptional, as you would expect from any Morton’s. We were there on a Tuesday evening and it was not full. We also received a free desert as a gift from the restaurant. Expensive to say the least, but a wonderful evening.

1  Thank mullinb
Reviewed 31 December 2017

First let me say I'm not a fan of steakhouses. I don't understand presenting large amounts of beef at very high prices with little or no finesse. Of course if you put truffles or large amounts of butter on anything (and charge $7 or more extra for that) it will taste good. But fine dining has progressed a long way past the days of Delmonico's in the 1800's.

Spending a Saturday evening at Morton's was not my idea. It was a birthday request of my wife who enjoys steak.

It was a cold and snowy Rochester evening but we arrived early. The place did have a good crowd (it's only a few months old at this point). But let me say this isn't your young Yelper crowd (and that's not necessarily a bad thing, not having the trendy 20 somethings who don't know much about food but love to take plenty of pictures and Instagram their entire dining experience). This was primarily an older crowd. And a lot of the big burly guys with barrel chests and too tight jackets. You know who I'm describing. The kind of guy who really doesn't appreciate great food but is more interested in seeing his wife, girlfriend, or dining partners impressed by the fact that he's spending $200 on them (per person) for dinner. That kind of guy.

First, know going in that you're going to drop a lot here. Everyone at our table had an appetizer or salad. Everyone had a drink (and at least one more had a glass of wine). Everyone had an entree and then several had desserts and coffee. The total damage, $500 before tips or $600 with a tip for an average of $150 a person.

So the question is, is this worth $75 to $150 a person for a meal? I've enjoyed meals that were much more expensive and the answer was definitely yes. At Morton's in Rochester, the answer is no. Best to spend your hard earned dollars on your kids education or your next car payment. This is a waste of time.

The staff is attentive, from the valet to the hostess to the wait staff. They do pay careful attention as they should in a restaurant aspiring to be of this caliber.

The drinks are okay, nothing special. A very nice but very, very pricey wine list. Might well wish to consider bringing your own reds. I must note that my wife ordered their "special" State St. Manhattan which consisted of a very nice Manhattan with a good-sized piece of char-broiled (well done) steak in it. You might be better off just ordering three of these, getting good and drunk, and eating the meat that comes in the drink . . .

But when it comes down to it all, it's the food. And here, Morton's falls short. The lobster bisque was lukewarm. My wife has had better at Flaherty's (for half the price). The Ahi Tuna Tower was wonderful though it could have been spicier. But the accompanying crackers were alternatively crisp (which it should have been) and tough and stale.

The proscuitto wrapped mozzarella was enjoyed by a few at the table. One of the more moderately priced appetizers at $16.

The chopped salad is very good. We actually shared one between 4 people and it was a very large portion for an appetizer.

And then of course it's time for the meat and sides. Nothing outstanding about the sides. Yes, truffle fries are good but put truffle oil on anything and it tastes good.

The steaks were cooked as ordered. Rare was rare but it didn't have the char on the outside that I expect and want of a red center piece of meat. The filets were tender but then again, I could get a tender filet from Wegmans and accomplish the same thing for $40 less. The scallops were uneventful. No taste in the accompanying sauce. Now as I pointed out before, no one had any of the special butters and sauces that they try so hard to sell you on. You should not have to disguise a great piece of meat with a sauce. Greens were good. The asparagus were huge. They weren't overcooked but still, does everything have to be so darned big in a place like this? Smaller is often better when it comes to taste.

For dessert, my wife's sister talked several of us into the souffles (you have to order at the dinner's outset as with any good souffle). But these are not good souffles. All egg whites, no taste to them whatsoever, and bereft of any character. Julia Child was rolling over in her grave. It was akin to eating unsatisfying air if you can imagine such a thing (I can't but I don't know how else to explain it).

But here's my biggest complaint. At the end of the meal, the waitress hits us up for the wonderful deal offered by Landry's (the chain's owners) where if we invested $25 we received $50 back in future dining credits or $ to use at a casino. Really!!! For a supposedly higher end restaurant to try and ply me with ridiculous coupons or a reward program? That was the straw that broke the camel's back. They should get a 1 star rating because of this, not 3. It's just cheesy and uncalled for. A negative ending that left a very bad taste in my mouth.

My advice, go to Char down the street. The steaks are as good or better and the entire experience will cost you much less. And they won't try and sell you some sort of rewards program in the process.

2  Thank Brian M