“Nice Surprise!”

Jim's On Main
Ranked #78 of 1,366 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: American, Diner
Reviewed 12 October 2016

My sister and I were looking for a new breakfast place and voila! Jim's On Main! We've been going to all of the usual diners/restaurants in town and getting very bored with the menu or the food. Jim's was a really nice surprise. The food was outstanding, the menu extensive and the service impeccable! It's a family run business and that's what we liked the best. The coffee was never ending and very good, the servers/owners were friendly and fun. It's very clean and inviting. Jim's is going to be our new "go to" restaurant for breakfast!

Reviewed 9 October 2016 via mobile

Five of us had a Sunday mid-morning breakfast while the restaurant was packed and the line was out the door. We provided our name, and the hostess appeared regularly ushering people in. We had several different egg dishes, all of which were delicious, perfectly cooked, and hot. Most importantly for me, the hash browns that tend to be the bane of diners were Waffle House quality -- crunchy on the outside and succulent. I could kick myself for not having taken a photo. Service wonderful start to finish.

Reviewed 1 October 2016 via mobile

Rochester knows to come to Jim's for a hearty breakfast or lunch! The grits special is one-of-a-kind awesome. The menu covers all the bases. Highly recommend and thanks!

Reviewed 29 September 2016 via mobile

Let me say perfect every time. We go for breakfast or lunch Been eating at this family run diner for many years. They make you feel special from the moment you sit down till you leave. If you sit at the counter you can listen to the singing chef and eat the most delish food The homemade coffee cake is amazing as the rest of the breakfast menu. I personally love the London broil for lunch. Homemade soups are fantastic too. Your not going to get a better value anywhere.

Reviewed 26 September 2016 via mobile

I love supporting local businesses when I travel. I really love finding great places for breakfast. Jim's is that place in Rochester. We had a group of five and even though it was busy, we were seated immediately. As soon we sat down, we were asked if we wanted coffee and those of us that said yes received a cup right away, To me, that is the ultimate service and my cup never went below two-thirds filled the rest of the meal.
The biggest problem I had was that there were too many choices. I usually use the lower price as a tie breaker, but in this case, it was not an option as everything was reasonable. My friends all had a variety of frittatas with a choice of 2 types of potatoes - hash browns or home cut style and toast. Coast for each was less than $6. They all lived the food and were very full.I had the eggs florentine based on the waitress's recommendation because "the hollandaise was wonderful". I believe that sauces can make or break a meal. Hollandaise is a particularly difficult sauce and theirs was perfect. I also paid an extra dollar for hash browns potatoes and they were well worth it. My bill with coffee was less than $10.

In addition to the food, the service was amazing. Once the waitress and the woman refilling our coffee (the owner as it turns out) found out that we were visiting Rochester for a gaming in education conference, she was excited to share a digital game that the college students were using.
As we stood in line to pay, I looked around at the black and white pictures on the walls and realized who the owner was. She was proud to tell me that our waitress was her daughter and that the other 3 staff members were her children as well.

I asked the owner why she had to move locations and she told me that a chain grocery store had forced them out of their original location.

I am glad she preserved and kept her business going. In the end, I felt like a regular and this the reason why I will continue to support local businesses. I dare you to go to a chain restaurant and get the same local flavor.