“Good not Great”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 26 August 2017

We use to live in Scotia so on a trip back home we stopped into an old favorite the Turf Tavern for dinner. As we remembered it from years ago it was a 4 or 5. Not like it use to be. They do have a menu that will allow you to find something for everyone including the kids. The wait staff was friendly and knew the menu well and were very helpful. We were seated quickly and the food arrived fast. We had the surf & Turf and the pasta diablo. The steak was tasty but over cooked and the pasta was also overcooked and could have had a lot more flavor. Prices are reasonable not a bad place to eat but othere resturants in the area are a better dining experience

Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

My husband Mike and I wanted to celebrate Sallie's good health in a special way - the Turf Tavern was the place to do it - great food,wonderful service and a lovely atmosphere - as we raised our cocktail glasses to Sallie,we knew we had made the best choice - thanks also to Doreen whose personal,friendly care added so much to our celebration!

1  Thank SMC1943
Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

We just had a wonderful meal at Turf Tavern with service to match. There were eight of us, five adults and three children. The hostess and server were most gracious and accommodating. The kids had pizza and gobbled it up. We adults had the salmon and beef from the special menu. Both were delicious. Pay the extra $6.00 and you have enough food for a king! You get soup or fruit and a salad and vegetables and also coffee and dessert! We took some of our food home and did not leave there hungry. I would definitely go back!

Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

They say you never can return home. How true! This restaurant has really gone down in quality since I lived nearby. While the bar and bartender were quite nice, the food was awful. Both my husband and I sent our entrees back only to have the second try taste as bad as the first. His was prime rib and mine was steak teriyaki. If you like meat that tastes as if it was soaked in vinegar--you'll love the beef here. I can't say they did soak the beef in vinegar because I didn't see it done, but my tastebuds usually don't lie twice. Perhaps that was to disguise a rancid taste. Only the kitchen knows. Go eat somewhere else.

Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

This is my second poor review of this restaurant. Last time we weren't able to eat here so, because I had a small gift certificate, my friends and I decided to give it another chance.

It was $10. Tuesday. We were told they had a shrimp and penne dish, a herb crusted pork loin which was sold out and prime rib of 12.00.

Because none of us had had a prime rib in a while, and because it's hard to ruin a prime rib, we all ordered that. We also ordered an appetizer ( which was for 3 and delicious).

Salad were good, so was the bread. The prime rib must've been leftover from another day..not even the same day! It was tough, dry and so well done I couldn't believe they'd serve it. And it had gravy on it. The place was packed so we kept quiet. But, needless to say, none of us will ever return.