“Best Anniversary dinner you can ask for”
Review of The Krebs

The Krebs
Ranked #11 of 36 Restaurants in Skaneateles
Price range: US$75 - US$100
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Krebs is a historic restaurant founded in 1899 by Fred and Cora Krebs. The restaurant has been a popular landmark in Skaneateles for over 100 years serving past presidents, dignitaries and celebrities. Four years ago, the restaurant was purchased by Adam and Kim Weitsman to save it from closing for the residents of Skaneateles and future generations. The Krebs has gone through an extensive four-year renovation while preserving the history and beauty visitors have grown accustomed to. The Krebs vision is a farm to table concept utilizing fresh hand picked local ingredients and the highest quality meats and seafood available. Hired to lead the culinary team at The Krebs restaurant is Executive Chef Dan Kennedy. Zagat Guide recognized Chef Dan in 2015 as 30 under 30 innovators redefining the industry. Dining at The Krebs helps women and children in need. The Krebs restaurant commits all net profits to various CNY women and children’s charities.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

My wife and I arrived for our wedding anniversary and went with the chefs choice with wine pairing. The meal was 5 star and the education on the wines and how they matched each course was superb. The sommelier was absolutely exceptional. I would return anytime.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

My husband and I made reservations on a recent Wednesday night for dinner while we were visiting Skaneateles. We were seated in a beautifully decorated sitting room adjacent to the bar, near the fireplace. The Tavern menu had exactly what we were looking for. First, we shared a shrimp cocktail that had fresh, plump extra large shrimp and cocktail sauce with just the right amount of kick.
My husband ordered the dry-aged 8oz burger grilled medium. It came with local Gouda on toasted roll with house made chips. he said it was the best he'd ever had! I ordered the unusual lobster BLTs on two brioche rolls. They were a fabulous combination! Who Knew? We shared an order of handmade beer battered onion rings. Our service was wonderfully attentive and helpful. We also were thrilled to meet Kim, one of the owners, who shared a little of the story of The Krebs.
We got our dessert to take back to our room for later. It was a special pistachio cake that was moist and melted in our mouths.
We are looking forward to coming back to The Krebs on our next trip back to Skaneateles.

1  Thank 34SUZZI
Reviewed 28 February 2018

We went there for my wife's birthday. I figured it would be a special place for a special occasion. I was very wrong. We've traveled all over the United States and abroad and are used to high end places as well as the corner bar. This place is stuffy and pretentious. I had the duck which ended up being the toughest piece of foul I've ever eaten. The staff was kind and attentive and the place is beautifully appointed. I hope this was an off night for them, and not typical. All in all, take your $200.00 plus and go elsewhere!

2  Thank CBS223
Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

Wow. We hadn’t been to the Krebs since it reopened several years ago. We had heard how expensive it was and we were scared to try it. That was a mistake.

We dined here on Valentines Day 2018 because we weren’t initially planning on eating out and my husband looked on Open Table and found they had available seating. They did a marvelous job at decorating the place. The bar area really looks lovely and inviting- we saw it as we were passing through to our table . We sat in a lovely smallish dining room and our server couldn’t have been friendlier and more helpful. The cocktail menu looked amazing, offering a page of “original” choices from around the world and a page of their own concoctions. My husband tried a Pabloma. Excellent choice.
We shared the blood orange bib lettuce salad. It was $14 and huge. Good idea splitting it. It did only come out on 1 plate, even though we told them we were sharing. But they were very accommodating when we asked them to bring out another plate. For dinner,
I ordered the fettuccine with pistachio and Pernod sauce off the vegetarian menu which I think they mistakingly gave me . Not a huge portion for $24 but certainly enough. So delicious. My husband ordered the “Amish” chicken . Beautiful presentation and so many interesting accompaniments on the plate that were so delicious. That was $28. We also shared the Brussel Sprouts Gratin and that was absolutely amazing . I think that was $12 and meant to be served “family style” and shared ( it was a large portion).

The wine list was huge and we were surprised that there were more than a few bottles we could choose for about $30 ( they also had ones in the 1000 dollar range).
Dessert was a winner. We ordered the dulche de leche and again got this amazing presentation and just fabulous tasting dessert.
Dinner was not much over $100 for the two of us and while we only got 1 cocktail and 1 glass of wine , I still think that’s really affordable - we were so pleasantly surprised.

The Krebs moved to the top of our list in terms of quality and service for Fine Dining in Central New York. We will definitely return !

Reviewed 15 January 2018

We had and excellent dinner here on a Saturday night. Service, people, food, wine, atmosphere were all excellent. The interior of the restaurant is especially successful, it's cozy, elegant and interesting. The Potato soup was amazing. We had such a lovely experience that we drove all the way back to Skaneateles to have brunch the next day...which was also excellent.