“home-away-from-home”
Review of El Bandido

El Bandido
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 6 January 2016

As you enter El Bandido you are personally welcomed by their staff. Sit anywhere in the restaurant and you'll have a great view of the colorful artwork and hear the one-man mariachi band. Sit back and enjoy as they treat everyone to free cheese quesadillas & nachos topped with guacamole. Their menu offers a wide variety of authentic, mouth-watering dishes. Pick from their smaller traditional dishes (burritos, tacos, enchilatos) to their popular platters, camarones alcapulco, (shrimp wrapped in bacon), botana mexicano (miniature tostados, flautas, chalupas & taquitos) just to name a few. Did I mention they all come with the most delicious homemade refried beans & rice! You will DEFINITELY have left overs as their portions are HUGE. And if by chance you have any room left over, enjoy their on-the-house sweet chimichangas, topped with ice cream and whipped cream. You will definitely be back for more!

Reviewed 4 December 2015

If you haven't been here then you are missing out. The service is quick and immediate-nachos and salsa come right away, followed by water, then cheese quesadillas, a server taking drink orders. Bam, you order and be very ready for a meal within 10 minutes-I have been here at least 40 times and never waited longer than 15 minutes for the food to come out. They have their act together. It will be packed every Thursday-Sunday and seating can be tight if you are a couple. The food is fresh and good, pulled chicken and beef, huge shrimp and not cheap with it. The owner and his daughter are usually there and he brings you a shot of tequila randomly. You also get a fried banana with ice cream, whipped cream and syrup. It is a bargain for the amount of food you get and quick service. Only issue I have is getting my check sometimes, they are so prepared for your arrival but not your departure. They have a few guys singing and playing music as well.

Reviewed 27 October 2015

Our son and daughter in law took us to this restaurant for some quality Mexican food when we were there for a visit. We are from Staten Island and we haven't had good Mexican food in a long time. The drinks were delicious (I had the frozen Margarita) and the food (I had the Chimichanga) was fresh and cooked to perfection. I was very impressed. The Mariachi band sang some nice Mexican tunes and the service was great. I honestly can't wait to go back. It was a lot of fun!

Reviewed 26 October 2015

We always like to try restaurants that specialize in Mexican cuisine. We have visited this one many years ago and enjoyed it. So, we went back to see if there were any changes. The drinks were still very good and the food was excellent. It was prepared just the way it was described in the menu and served steaming hot.

You might have a long wait depending upon what time of the day you arrive. It is worth the wait. Service can be a bit slow, but once ordered, the food arrives very quickly.

Reviewed 20 October 2015

The atmosphere is very rustic and detailed, lots of artwork and attention to the internal architecture, as well as murals on the walls inside and out. We walked in on a Monday night and they had a (Mariachi?) singer going to tables. The sound was a bit loud, but the music was nice. There was a family party with an infant, couples, etc. They also have a bar in the adjoining room. To start off they brought out chips and salsa. The chips were warm and the salsa was spicy and delicious. Next they brought out two more appetizers, we hadn't even ordered yet! A warm cheese quesadilla, then nachos with cheese, guacamole, and jalapenos. I ordered the Enchiladas Suizas (chicken enchiladas with green sauce and cheese, my colleague ordered the tamales. Both entrees came with sides of lettuce, refried beans, and spanish rice. The service was fast and very attentive. We hadn't even finished the free appetizers and the entrees were out. Then, after we boxed the leftovers (of course) they brought out a free dessert! I think it was banana in a fried tortilla, like a flauta, with caramel sauce, ice cream and whipped cream. Amazing extras right up to the end of the meal. I'd happily go back when I'm in the area!!