“Terrific sushi, huge portions, great price thoughtful service”

Yamasho Sushi Steakhouse
Ranked #47 of 697 Restaurants in Syracuse
Reviewed 18 October 2016

The fish is great. I have stopped in for three sushi lunches. They throw in something complimentary every time. I hail from Brooklyn and I am a sushi snob. This place would do very well in my neighborhood or in NYC. Generously cut buttery soft supple salmon. Sweet and tender Yellowtail. There is no reason for me to list out the sushi, it all hit the spot. The place exceeds exceptions.

Something I care less about is service. Nevertheless, they make you feel like you are the only person in the restaurant. Often Japanese restaurants leave you on your own and don't try and keep the drinks or water flowing. These guys are so attentive in the best way.

I haven't tried the cooked food (Sushi snob), but I would not hesitate.

1  Thank daniel s

Reviewed 9 September 2016

The restaurant, in its 6 months of operation, has earned a reputation for variety, freshness of product, nearly obsessive service, and most importantly, taste. And justly so! I knew this before eating here for dinner with wife, as I, as an independent contractor, delivered lunch for this restaurant without a single complaint from customers, many of whom took advantage of their delivery service after having an eat-in dinner. You can't get a better endorsement than that. Furthermore, they regularly have $30 coupons for eat-in in Local Flavor, costing $10-15 a coupon, and so that means a lot of fine food can be had for a reasonable cost. Anyway during a recent, quiet Labor Day weekend, we decided to give Yamasho a try. The Happy Hour menu was still in effect (I think it is in effect from 3:30 to 6pm with savingss of up to 30%), and so after the somplimentary endame appetizer, we tried a Sunflower Roll, 10 pieces of beautifully presented lobster salad, crab, shrimp, avocado, mango, cuke wrapped with soybean paper and served with a banko sauce (black pepper, honeyed sauce). My wife, who generally hates both cooked and raw sushi, was pleasantly surprised to the point of eating half the appetizer. For dinner, I had two other rolls: a lightly spiced cooked and crunchy 96 Roll, which has earned plaudits from other diners, to which you can add me, as well as a Pink Lady, which though enjoyable, wasn't quite up to the excellence of the two other rolls. The dumpling soup was at best OK, and not waht you want to come here for. My wife, in her conservative manner chose a create your own Bento Box that contained a salad with yum-yum sauce (truly yummy) as an alternate to the ginger sauce that normally comes with salad, Shrimp Tempura, 3 Spring Rolls (featuring a light, non-greasy wrapper & much appreciated), a sushi roll, and rice, all for a reasonable $19. Very enjoyable. We were given small scoops of green tea and red bean ice creams as a complimentary dessert. All-in-all, a wonderful dinner. We will be back, if only to try the hibachi, which patrons seemed to be enjoying, as well as other special rolls. This restaurant can be reasonable for the non-adventuresome, but trying out some of the specialty rolls can add a bit to the cost. Still well worth it. Right now, my favorite Japanese restaurant in Central NY.

1  Thank Don F
Reviewed 23 August 2016

We were in the area and this place was well reviewed by other TA members so we decided to try it. Our dinner (late lunch) included miso soup, avocado salad (a must try), Yellowtail Jalapeno Roll (raw), Shrimp Temura Roll (cooked) and one other roll. All excellent and nothing left to take home!

What stood out at this establishment was the decor, cleanliness (as in spotless) and friendliness of the staff. The young woman serving our table was very knowledgeable of the menu and attentive to us throughout our meal.

If this place was on our side of town (it's about 30 minutes away) we'd probably eat here once a week. Easily the best sushi restaurant I have been to.

2  Thank biztraveler999
Reviewed 13 July 2016 via mobile

I love Japanese food and have frequented hibachi restaurants all over the country. This is one of my favorites. From the minute you walk in the door the staff makes you feel welcome. It is obvious that this establishment is doing everything they can to be successful. The food is excellent and the service impeccable. Delivery and takeout are also available. I plan to support them frequently.

1  Thank marcee246
Reviewed 5 July 2016

Yes, the food was excellent, as others have stated, and with good pricing. Our hangup was with the awkward timing of service. The first of our group's three entrees arrived well ahead of our second appetizer. Pause of a few minutes. Then came the second entree. Pause of another few minutes. Then came the third entree.
But the service staff (they seem to take a team approach to serving) knew they'd screwed up and immediately deducted $10 off our $70 bill. Then, at checkout, they apologized profusely for the bad timing and gave my wife a $10 gift card. They blamed the incident on an unanticipated food delivery. At 8 p.m. on a Friday? To be sure, if that was the case, the kitchen would have been in turmoil.
All in all, it was a pleasurable experience.