“Nice little restaurant ”

Blue Tusk Pub & Wine Bar
Ranked #28 of 728 Restaurants in Syracuse
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 9 November 2017 via mobile

We went to this little restaurant because our first three choices had long waits. We were looking for dinner before a show at the Landmark Theater, and everything was packed! This little place as practically empty when we got there, so I came in with very low expectations. The menu was pretty limited, but we ordered two lobster BLT's and an appetizer and the food was pretty good. They have a huge selection of beer, but we don't drink beer. The restaurant, itself, was very charming. The woman that took our order was very sweet and pleasant. Her name is Samantha, and she remained calm and friendly even as the place became busier. We go to Syracuse about twice a month, but even with all of the good restaurants in the city, we will most likely go back to the Blue Tusk.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

My wife and I came in to Blue Tusk around 7 PM on Saturday, September 30. We had dinner reservations elsewhere for later in the evening and wanted a pre-dinner beverage. Walking through Armory Square on a chilly late September evening, Blue Tusk looked lively and welcoming.

Door: Two bouncers at 7 PM checking IDs seemed excessive, but it's a popular bar in a college town, so be prepared to show ID. They appeared to be checking everyone (including the couple in their 60s who walked in a few minutes behind us), so be prepared. No cover charge to get in, but it was early.

Seating: We found a high top and sat down. No table service though, so had to order drinks from the bar and take them back. Not the end of the world. The bar top was packed, but there appears to be quite a bit of seating elsewhere in the place.

Drinks: Extensive drink menu and selection of beers on tap as well as in a bottle/can. The prices were very reasonable as well. I don't normally find Dogfish 60 on tap, so it was an easy decision for me. My wife had a glass of Malbec, and the bartender served out a generous pour.

Ambiance: Cool place. There were some game tables in one corner of the bar and plenty of TVs tuned to college football. Would definitely be a great bar to hang out in on a Saturday for gameday. I bet this place is packed when SU has a home game.

Overall: We really enjoyed our visit. We spent an hour here and had a couple of drinks, with a great selection and good pricing. We'll definitely come back.

Reviewed 21 September 2017

Saw a lot of folks here on a weeknight, so I thought it must be good. Food was all right, but menu limited to sandwiches. And the process of getting food was designed to maximize my inconvenience. You order at the counter, they page you when your sandwich is ready, and you order your drink--separately--at the bar. Is this a New York thing? Big time waster. Not to mention I now have two receipts for dinner. Not good for expense accounting. On the plus side, lots of good beers on tap and a friendly vibe--if you don't mind the non-existent wait service.

Reviewed 19 September 2017

The available beer (and wine and liquor)selection selection makes up for the food bring just ok. The turkey and Brie sandwich wasn't bad, but not worth the price either. The "Thanksgiving Everyday" soup was also just ok, not worth the price. Clean place, some outside dining available.

But the booze selection is great, though the service was a bit lacking. Not due to the staff, it's just they don't use servers, everything is run through the bar and they can get quickly overwhelmed.

I'll be back for their drink selection, but I'll eat somewhere else first.

Reviewed 13 July 2017

Blue Tusk yet again proves to be a great chill spot. Perfect for a casual business drink or meeting or just friends having some great wine, cheese, olives and a fantastic salad or sandwich with excellent service as always!