“Cheap hearty breakfast”

Market Diner
Ranked #80 of 720 Restaurants in Syracuse
Price range: US$3 - US$12
Cuisines: American, Diner, Greek, Italian
Description: Welcome to Market Diner! Feeding Syracuse since 1974, this 50's style vintage diner with traditional American and European cuisine offers breakfast, lunch and dinner, all served any time of the day. Check out our menu for scrumptious favorites like frittata, omelets, reubens, corned beef with cabbage, and burgers. For bigger appetites, we have entrees such as baked rigatoni, pot roast, and New York strip steak. All the beef we serve is top of the line quality Black Angus. Market diner prides itself for having a little something for all walks of life in a warm and inviting dining space. We open bright and early every morning at 5am for breakfast. Through the week we have specials that last all day Monday through Friday. Unlike most diners, Market Diner can also cater your next event, and we have outdoor seating so you can enjoy the weather while you eat. So what are you waiting for? We invite you over to Market Diner for great times and a great bite to eat.
Reviewed 27 July 2017

Had an early breakfast in this old-fashioned diner. Staff is very caring and courteous. Ordered the early bird set, with toast, two eggs and homefries for two bucks. Everything is nicely cooked. The thing I like most is that the food is not salty like some diners. Do come when you're around Syracuse.

Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

We stopped in for breakfast at the market diner the place was dizzy but we were able to find a table right away the waitress was very friendly and quick with drinks and or food everybody enjoyed their meal and the portions were huge and a great price next time when you're at destiny USA or the market stop over to the market diner to get yourself some really good food

Reviewed 19 July 2017

First time visit to Market Diner this summer. It's a great place if you're going to head off to the farmers market. The food itself was wonderfully priced and good. My biggest criticism of this place however is it is SO hot inside. My group came at the peak of the summer and it's not really fun to eat a hot breakfast while sweating. If this place had better air, I'd totally recommend it. Otherwise, good find.

Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

I have been going here several times for my lunch break. I keep going back because I've never had a bad meal and the service was quick. I have also given the place good reviews on several websites. Well.... as with anything, there are those bad days and I had a very bad experience on 7-12-2017.
I arrived at 7:54 pm and sat myself. I was quickly greeted and asked what I'd like to drink. My drink came and she took my order. I ordered the fried seafood platter and a side salad. The waitress brought my salad and as I was enjoying it, I saw four Deputy Sheriff's walk in and sat down. I finished my salad and was waiting for my food. 15 minutes past, then 20, then 25. I was getting agitated and I happened to look over and noticed all four Sheriff Deputies were already enjoying their food. The waitress was at the table behind me taking a order and she turned to me and apologizes for the long wait. I only get an hour lunch and I was 45 minutes into it at this point so I asked her to just have it packed to go. I go to the register and the man asked me how my dinner was. I looked at him and said I never got it. He apologized and did offer to only charge me half price but I was so irate I just told him I'd pay the whole bill. I then go back to work and frantically ate while driving. The food...
I'm guessing it sat cooked and had to be warmed up because everything was over fried and like rubber. The fish tasted freezer burnt, the calamari was so crispy I couldn't even taste it. To top it off, no fork to eat my coldslaw. Needless to say I was shocked and disappointed. I'm not sure if or when I'll be back. This was a bit over the top.
Curious to know if my dinner was put on hold in order to accomodate the four Deputy Sheriffs. The diner was slow that night with only four tables of customers.

anthonymci1, Owner at Market Diner, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2017

Hello Bill,

First, let me say that I'm very sorry for this experience at my diner. After further investigation I've determined what happened this night.

We use a wireless ticket system that helps us be more accurate and efficient. However, as with all things, it is not a perfect system. When your server took your order and sent it to the kitchen to be prepared it was never received at the kitchen printer. At that moment, the kitchen was changing the paper roll and the process broke down.

In a perfect world, the printer has a built-in memory that takes this into consideration. Normally, it would have stored your order in its memory and printed once the paper roll was changed. For some reason, this never happened and it troubles me deeply. Again, I am sorry...

What I have done to ensure this doesn't happen again is program another printer to "catch" print jobs when the other is "offline." My hope is that this corrects this issue going forward.

In addition, I would like to discuss offline how I am prepared to correct the issue with your meal itself. If you would be kind enough to email me I would be grateful and explain: info@themarketdiner.com.

With Appreciation,

Tony

Reviewed 7 July 2017

Excellent breakfast, good prices and good service. Eggs, homefries and toast was pretty good. Sister had wafle with berries and loved it.