Holiday Inn Express Syracuse / Fairgrounds
US$125
US$169
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
All reviewsdead endcinnamon bunspancake machinebagelsquiet locationhorse showpool and hot tubexercise roomnice breakfastgreat stopfair groundsbusiness centerfree internetoff the highwaynew yorkcomfortable bedsgreat place to stay
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Our overall stay was a good one. We were booked into a suite. It was a little misleading, we were expecting a jacuzzi tub when all we got was a bathtub with jets, but no big deal. We were a little shocked with the movies on demand and the prices. $14.99 for a movie rental was a bit outrageous, but I'm thinking this is how it probably is at most chain hotels. We were very comfortable during our stay, but my issue was with the bill. We were charged the correct amount when we checked out on Sunday and the money was taken from my account, however Wednesday after check out, I checked my banking statement only to see that I had been charged AGAIN! I called the hotel and they said it was only an authorization charge and that the money would be back into my account. However, with the economy the way it is, having an extra $400 taken from your bank account and be told it will be back "around 3-5 days" is a major set back. The hotel didn't seem to eager to help us. We ended up just gritting our teeth for 4 days waiting for the money to be put back. Thankfully nothing too bad came from it, but i'd hate for it to happen to someone around the end of the month when there are bills to pay. I probably wouldn't stay again just for the fact that I don't want to have to deal with money issues.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gersty7
Reviewed 3 January 2012

I stayed here with my kids last week and had an overall good stay.

The hotel staff we dealt with were very nice, including the front desk and the breakfast staff. However, it was very difficult to find the entrance to the hotel after dark on a nasty December evening, and I can't figure out why there isn't an entrance sign on the Winchell Road entrance?! I ended up in the dead end at the end of the road, turning around in the mud and puddles trying to figure out how to get the to clearly lit hotel in the middle of endless blacktop!

After we found the right driveway to get to the hotel, we checked in easily, grabbed a few snacky things from the (limited) pantry, and enjoyed a good night's sleep in the quiet and comfortable room. We always travel with our iPods and a "white noise" app, so we didn't have any issues with the noise of the HVAC units, especially since the room had a clock we could plug the iPod into.

The pool area looked great but we didn't have time to enjoy it. The breakfast in the morning was good - even with the pancake machine out of order, there was enough for each of us to have a choice of items and the staff was very good about refilling items as needed.

The one problem I had was that the housekeeping did not seem up to par. Although the beds were clean and comfortable, there were crumbs on the desk chair when I pulled it out, and the towels in our bathroom were actually disgusting - they ranged from dingy to majorly discolored to stained with rusty looking streaks! I actually didn't take a shower in the morning because they looked so bad I didn't want to use them.

Overall, this was a good hotel and given the dearth of choices on I-90 I might stay there again. However, it seems like a few changes would result in this hotel changing from an "OK-if-I-have-to stay" to a "must-stay" kind of place.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank NotReallyVelma
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Make sure you get the refund policy notarized by a lawyer because its borderline extortion. The Flexible Rate Policy on the website says that you can cancel your reservation, however, they charge you upfront and when you cancel, they do cancel and give you cancellation number but don't give your money back. What a racket? When you go through IHG, they say it's a local issue, when you call locally, they say go to IHG. DON'T BOOK HERE IF YOU PLAN TO CANCEL AND DON'T GIVE YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER or say goodbye to your money.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank FreqTrav10001
Reviewed 25 December 2011

Hotel was 3 out of 28 so figured we'd stay there. Not much around the hotel, it's really in the middle of nowhere. Staff was friendly, lobby and rooms were very clean. I did find the rooms a bit dated and the hvac made a fair bit of noise when it was running so we had to cut our stay short by 1 night. Probably wouldn't stay there again for that reason alone.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank Seanatis
Reviewed 21 December 2011

We stayed at this hotel and was treated unkindly by the driver both on the way over and on the way back from the event we went too... similarly others on the same shuttle were treated the same. i was discussed by the treatment recieved and when i wrote a detailed letter about the particulars to the problems we had there was absoutly no resonse from the manager, dispite several emails.... very unpleasant expereince sad to say... i travel alot and have never had a unpleasent expereince like this!!! Staff was rude nad unpleasant !

Room Tip: go to another hotel, they do not provide services as promised. and do not handle conflict at all instead they ignore it. The staff was rude and short.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends