“Get the pho”

Ranked #99 of 697 Restaurants in Syracuse
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 28 January 2017 via mobile

One of our all time favorite restaurants. The special combo pho beef noodle soup is so amazing. The New Century egg rolls should not be missed. We can never order small here. The two of us get three appetizers, a big bowl of pho, and a couple of combo plates. The broken rice is another favorite, along with the vermicelli. A tri-color drink and a Vietnamese coffee with sweetened condensed milk makes for a perfect day. The prices are also among the ost reasonable of any local restaurant.

Reviewed 11 January 2017

I've visited New Century Vietnamese Restaurant a couple of time in the last two weeks and enjoyed the selections on both occasions.

The decor is simple--not really much to speak of. Very informal. Not fancy. Both times when we arrived there seemed to be some confusion about who was to seat us. There were several members of the staff available, but they kept us waiting until a particular waiter was free. I think that might have had something to do with a language issue as it was clear that some staff spoke an Asian dialect. I'd guess Vietnamese, but I'm no expert.

Once seated, a waiter arrived promptly to take our drink and menu orders. I had a vermicelli bowl the first time and pho the second. Both were very good, but I think I'd stick with the vermicelli next time I go. The beef, tripe and tendon, while good in this Pho broth, takes second place to the rich textures and flavors in the grilled shrimp and pork bowl. BTW, the shrimp dumplings were delicious.

Portions were very good and delivered hot to your table.

A plate of bean sprouts, cilantro and hot peppers also accompanied the Pho. But, beware the peppers. The small, star-shaped peppers are for flavoring the both. I would advise against trying to eat one. I tried. HOT!!!

Prices are reasonable and the food is very tasty. I plan to return to try additional dishes and, as you can see from the photos of the menu, there are lots of dishes to try!

Reviewed 30 November 2016 via mobile

No frills, hole in the wall Vietnamese restaurant. Parking is limited in the front of the restaurant but there is ample off street parking. The neighborhood was a bit sketchy. Very large eating area, would be great for large groups. The restaurant could use some cleaning, especially the bathrooms.

On to the positive: the food was prepared well, made fresh, and delicious. The pho broth was excellent and very aromatic. Portions were large and prices were reasonable. The food definitely outweighed the negatives. If you are looking for authentic Viet food, this is your best bet in the the Syracuse area.

Reviewed 21 November 2016 via mobile

Kitchen was clean. The restaurant has a lot of soace, so freat for big groups. It also has a nunber of smaller tables. They serve delicious food in distinct style plates - I had a tasty lemongrass and chili chicken in a fish-shaped plate! Have the durian shake - best thing EVER! I highly recommend it.

Reviewed 20 November 2016 via mobile

This place is legit! I've been with friends mostly but this time I went for takeout. They were quick and got my order right. Friends have gotten rice dishes with spices and lots of diverse meats that I thought looked amazing. I get soup every time because it is very satisfying. It's literally a bathtub size soup with all the goodies carrot cauliflower broccoli fried tofu and noodles. There's a spicy hot one that smells delicious but I can't handle the heat. Very nice locally owned business. Now I'm hungry thinking about SOUPS!