“Wonderful location and great food”
Review of Cafe de la Plage

Cafe de la Plage
Ranked #125 of 181 Restaurants in Grand Baie
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 29 January 2018

A beautiful spot on the beach with a relaxed casual ambience, and a lovely selection of food of different cuisines, with an emphasis on seafood.
I had their celebrated seafood gratin as a starter and then the octopus curry (Mauritian style, not very hot but delightful spicy flavours). It was all extremely tasty, well cooked and and well presented.
We drank a very passable sauvignon blanc.
I was with some well known local business people who are habitues of the cafe so we were very well treated, but I have no reason to believe that it would have been different in any case.
After a few days of eating second rate food in "smart" hotel restaurants, it made a delightful and delicious change.
I'd love to have had the chance to go back in daylight, but it looks very romantic at night, with all the boats bobbing in the bay.
I can't comment on the price as I was a guest.

Reviewed 10 January 2018

A very rude and grouchy waiter showed us to our table and waited on us. Not nice at all. The owners kids were all over the place with their electronic toys. One of them hit my husbands chair with his electrical steared car.
Food was tasty, but not worth the money. The best about this restaurant was the location by the bay.

Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

Brilliant location on the main beach. My smoked marlin salad and my wife's salmon was very good. Well worth the visit even if just for the view and ice cold Phoenix Draught.

Reviewed 28 December 2017 via mobile

We were welcomed at the entrance and taken to the perfect table. The food was so tasty with perfect portions. You must try the crab soup, it was Devine. The cocktails were delicious and quite potent!! Our waiter Salim was very attentive and friendly. He arranged a quick boat ride for us and kept our table so we could see the sunset. Will be going back there.

Reviewed 30 November 2017 via mobile

I visited Cafe de la Plage for dinner with my friend and my parents for my friends birthday dinner. Our waiter Vik was lovely and made lots of effort to ensure we had a lovely evening. There was live music from a boat in front of the restaurant who sang happy birthday to my friend, a waiter danced with my friend and we were given a free dessert as they sang happy birthday again. This made the evening very special. Unfortunately the manager was there with young children, a male child aged approximately 8 ran around the restaurant whilst we were eating, nearly knocking into one of the waiters whilst they were serving our drinks! There was then an issue with the card machines and the atms in the island were down. The female manager offered to drive my dad to a cashpoint so he had to leave the table to get cash out. She took him in her car a couple of metres but her battery was flat. We had to wait around an hour whilst this situation was sorted. We were told we would have a drink on the house but this did not arrive. When my dad had eventually been able to pay cash we were told the free drinks were coming as we had now paid. They still did not arrive and we were told the boss was "thinking about it". The manager was sat on a table near to us and made no effort to come over, apologise or even smile. He sat there being waited on by his staff whilst we were waiting to pay and then waiting for our free drink. It is fortunate that Vik was very accommodating and friendly as otherwise I would have rated the restaurant 0 out of 5!! Thank you Vik. And I hope the manager learns some manners and people skills!!