“Stay at Four Seasons exhanced the island experience”

Four Seasons Resort Seychelles
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Baie Lazare
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Recently wed me and my wife decided to honeymoon at Seychelles. We chose Four Season's Hilltop Villa for our 3 night stay and we could not have asked for more. The service was great and the view from our villa was amazing. I would really like to commend Alex and his crew for making our trip very memorable. The buggy service were always on time and we never had to wait! The beach is beautiful with its white sand and clear water. Four seasons also offers a lot of beach activity for it's patrons.

The only downside if I had to say would be the wait time to get to our villa upon arrival; there was a confusion sorting out what was booked and what we got. We look forward to our next vacation and would definitely stay in a Four Seasons resort.

Room Tip: The Hilltop Villa "107" has the perfect view to enjoy the sunset!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Premchowdhry
Alex_Porteous, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Seychelles, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2012

Dear Premchowdhry,

Thank you so much for your kind words about the Resort and service. It is very humbling to hear such high praise for what we do, and makes our job even more satisfying.

I'm sorry to hear there was some confusion upon arrival - we always do our very best to ensure that our guests can be looked after when they arrive, as we understand how tiring travel can be. Please rest assured that next time your arrival will be seamless.

I look forward very much to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

There's not much more I can say other than that title. From the moment we got there we were treated like royalty. Coming from a not so good stay on Praslin this was a great way to end our trip. My wife had been sick with the flu the previous couple of days and after we got to the Four Seasons and checked in with in 10 minutes they had a nurse at our villa, doctor they had already called, we didn't end up talking to him and shortly after medicines and all kinds of flu friendly eats and drinks for her to attempt to try. From then on we knew we had picked the right place.

Other reviews have said the food wasn't great. I have to say while not the best food in the world for such a remote place and having eaten at other top hotels on the islands the food here was a very pleasant surprise. Everything from the breakfast, pool side food to the steak shack was perfect. They even have daily specials which were fabulous as well. The hotel really doesn't let any detail go unchecked. We had great gifts and when compared to a much smaller hotel we stayed at on the island I felt like management, including the general manager, were always on top of everything and made you feel as if you were staying in their best room. Villas are ridiculous and service is amazing not to mention so many activities that you have to force yourself into leaving and seeing the island, which is def worth it but even if you don't you will be more than happy with that choice.

Thanks for making the honeymoon so special and we look forward to returning for an anniversary down the road

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jay f

Dear Jay f,

Thank you so much for such a charming review. I'm glad we could turn your holiday around after your wife arrived with the flu. You're right about it being hard to tear yourself away, but there is so much to do in the Seychelles! What a great reason to come back though!

I hope very much that you can join us again for that anniversary vacation, but with you both at full fitness the next time!

Reviewed 13 April 2012

The hotel property is beautiful. The beach is magnificent with powder white sand and crystal clear turquoise water. We thoroughly enjoyed swimming and the tropic surf concession was a great addition, as we found the paddle boards to be great fun and James, the Tropic Surf manager was very helpful and fun as well!

The rooms are amazing and we especially enjoyed the infinity pool and outdoor shower in our room. The spa was fantastic and we were fortunate to actually have a service with several wonderful massage therapists I actually met at the Four Seasons in Chiang Mai, Lek and Pat. They were incredible! The spa rooms are beautiful and the sunset from the rooftop of the spa is gorgeous. Contrary to many of the other reviews, we found the food to be quite excellent. Chef Jesse Olsen, in Kannel restaurant made our trip particularly special by providing us with unique, specialized dinners almost every night. We think Jesse is a great asset to the hotel, as he went out of his way to be friendly and helpful on a daily basis. The GM, Alex, was very friendly and interested in guest feedback as well. Henry, in Zez, is an excellent chef, too...hello...he came from Per Se in NYC.

The only real drawbacks in my opinion, are that the hotel is not designed for guests to walk anywhere, so you either have to take a buggy or risk being run over by one. There are no pedestrian paths. We walked almost everywhere during the day, but didn't take the chance in the dark at night. We also found that the service in the restaurants by the local staff was not even close to Four Seasons usual standards. For us it was basically funny, but I could see where many people would be very upset, especially considering the price tag. Drinks were frequently wrong, different or non-existant. We had to beg to get drinks and on more than one occassion they came AFTER our appetizers were finished. Sara was a notable exception. She was always very kind, helpful and pleasant to be around. Many of the other members of the female wait staff were somewhat unpleasant and unhelpful, although still the postives outweighed the sourpusses. In general, we also felt the menus in both restaurants were a little on the heavy side for a beach resort, with little balance of lighter fare. Fortunately, Jesse was awesome and made us feel like we had our own personal chef! The ice cream is fantastic too.

I would definitely recommend the resort in general despite some technical difficulties!

Room Tip: The higher the room the better the view!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank nyctuna

Dear nyctuna,

Thanks for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. Great to hear you loved the property, spa and beach, and that Jesse, Henry and James took such good care of you.

I'm sorry you were disappointed not to be able to walk around the property as much as you would like. Unfortunately, the beauty of our Resort is it's hillside location overlooking the bay, which gives us such an amazing view. Your top tip was "the higher the room, the better the view" but I would add that if you prefer not to rely so heavily on the buggy service, then one of our garden-view villas would be perfect for you. That way everything (bar the Spa) is only a short, flat stroll away.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't find the servers in our restaurants up to standard. I hope that I can reassure you that this is not a commonly raised issue, but it does not excuse what you experienced, and I will follow up on it. If you have any other feedback then please do drop me a mail at alex.porteous@fourseasons.com - I'd really appreciate any other comments you can give, as we strive for excellence in all areas.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

You may find the title is something negative but I decided to give Four Seasons five star rating (4.5 to be exactly but there is no such option).

Seychelles is an expensive holiday destination, for honeymooners and holiday makers. So you have to budget in advance. Unfortunately the country's hospitality infrastructure is not as strong as countries like Maldives, who offers ample selections of hotels and resorts. So among all hotels and resorts in Seychelles, I think Four Seasons is by far the best.

So let me summarize the good/memorable areas and suggest something can be improved.

Good:
1. Location - not far from the airport (30 mins transfer) and the port to Praslin (40 mins).

2. Facility - room is fantastic, love the decor, swimming poor and most importantly, the view. You can just chill out by staying in your room for the whole day. Beach is fantastic and probably top three in the country. If you have budget, do select ocean/hill top view; if you are travelling with kids, then garden view is best as its close proximity to beach/restaurant.

3. People - staff are friendly especially the local ones, you can feel their friendliness and warmth from inside. International staff (Four Seasons staff from other regions) also provide you good services.

Something can be improved:
1. Food food food - it's definitely not the top-rated hotel/resort standard. Breakfast selections are squeezed in a small room (about 15 sq metres), which makes morning really crowded. why don't the management make it more opener? i.e. put the cold selection outside, leaving only hot ones inside. This can certainly make diners selection process more pleasant.

Food tastes okay, both from the bar restaurant and main one. But they are just average and nothing spectacular to be remembered, apart from the Japanese night, may be? Me and my wife cannot even remember a single memorable meal we had at the resort. Believe it or not, the highlight was a lunch trip to the nearby cafes (maria's). The management should be seriously considering improve the standard of food to impress people.

2. Something related to the first point. During our stay, there was a new restaurant (steakhouse) just opened, but there was no mention whatsoever. If the management was already aware of the issue (food quality and variety), you should try hard to promote and show the sign of improvements to the people who were staying during the changing period.

However, we were not even aware of this opening until our buggy passed by and the driver mentioned to us. What a shame we didn't try and therefore cannot comment. So communication is the key - communication between the hotel and people who are staying and will be staying in the hotel.

To summarize, if you are not too picky about the food, Four Seasons is the best option. I highly recommend this resort to couples and families. You will have wonderful time in Seychelles. Alex the GM wrote a personal card to greet us, we still keep that because not many hotels do that nowadays!

Here is a link to our holiday video, you can tell a lot of scenes are from Four Seasons. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQHY5rZkkVQ

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank zumibruce

Dear Bruce_cku,

Thank you so much for posting your review. Wonderful to see that you loved the location, rooms, and our wonderful staff. I was sorry to see that you didn't find the food up to standard. Since arriving at the Resort in December, I have been driving forward improvements in this area, and would love some more feedback. If you could spare the time, my email is alex.porteous@fourseasons.com.

You mentioned Steak Shack, which is actually a pop-up restaurant that we opened for the first time in December. I'm sorry to hear that it wasn't communicated to you. We reopened it over Easter, and it will continue to appear during busier periods and times when guests are likely to stay for longer periods, to give them another dining option; making sure of course that all our guests know how fantastic it is!

I just watched your fantastic video - it looks like you had an incredible time here and all over the Seychelles. Please come back and see us again!

With warm regards,

Reviewed 8 April 2012

. . . How wonderful Four Seasons Seychelles is!!! The most perfect hotel I've ever been to or seen. I'm a bit late in writing this review--I went there on my honeymoon in October 2010--but wanted to add my voice to the chorus of praise. We arrived at 10am, not expecting them to have our room ready for several hours. They greeted us with refreshing drinks and then took us immediately to our upgraded hilltop ocean view villa. Beyond the adorable (and delicious) happy-honeymoon cake and the chilling bottle of Veuve Cliquot--which were very much appreciated--the villa was breathtaking and enormous. Gorgeous views of the Indian Ocean. Modern amenities but exceptionally stylish and location-appropriate decor and amenities. The most beautiful bathroom ever. Gorgeous outdoor space with a daybed, chaise lounges, outdoor shower, and private infinity pool overlooking the ocean. The hotel itself is wonderful--terrific (but pricey) restaurants and lounges, the most spectacular beach (where they lavish you with complimentary citrus-water and mango sorbet, and where the kayaking, snorkeling, paddle-boating, and other water sports are all complimentary) and pool, phenomenal spa, etc., etc., etc. The staff were fantastic and incredibly accommodating. We had to leave for the airport at 5am, and they offered to (and did) bring us a full breakfast in our villa at 4:30! I could go on and on. I just cannot say enough about this wonderful place. I only hope we can return--and it can't happen soon enough!

• Stayed: October 2011
3  Thank USTraveler91

Dear USTraveler91,

Firstly, WOW! What a review! Thank you so much for your kind praise. I'm so glad that your arrival and departure experiences were as magical as the rest of your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon, for a second honeymoon perhaps?

With warm regards,

6.9 km away
DoubleTree by Hilton Seychelles Allamanda Resort & Spa
1.1 km away
Kempinski Seychelles Resort

Been to Four Seasons Resort Seychelles? Share your experiences!