“Spectacular Seychelles Anniversary!”

Four Seasons Resort Seychelles
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Baie Lazare
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My husband and I have recently returned from our 3rd year anniversary trip at the stunning Four Seasons Seychelles! This is probably the most involved trip we have ever taken, first traveling from the US to South Africa where we spent a week on a safari and in Cape Town, then headed to the Seychelles to spend a week of total relaxation!

We chose the Four Seasons because of the stellar reviews here on TripAdvisor, and being our first time in the Seychelles, we really wanted to stay on Mahe and take day trip from there to the other islands. We are a couple in our early 30’s without children and we knew from past stays at the Four Seasons that it would be an amazing resort with impeccable service! And that it was!

We traveled from Cape Town to Johannesburg then took an Air Seychelles flight into Mahe. The only bump in our trip was that Air Seychelles canceled our flight and re-booked us at a later time, so we lost a night at the Four Seasons. But despite that we were on holiday and nothing was going to ruin our trip. We decided not to use the transfer service from the Four Seasons as it was going to cost about $500 USD, and that was just outrageous to us, so instead we hired a private driver which cost us around $80 USD. They picked us up at the airport and we arrived at 5am at the Four Seasons. On arrival, they were expecting us, and opened the car doors welcoming us by name…what a way to impress right from the start!

The hotel is amazing! From the lobby you can see stunning views of the ocean and the surrounding hills leading into the ocean! It was breathtaking. The resort itself is modern and crisp, as we expected it would be! We were taken to our room by buggy and my jaw dropped when I saw our lovely room! WOW! The villas are built into the landscape of the hills surrounded by lush vegetation. We booked an ocean view villa and stayed in Villa 501. The villa itself was perfect. The deck is huge with a cabana, sundeck and the most amazing plunge pool I have ever seen….I mean it was just perfect. I never expected to get such an amazing view of the ocean; it was more than I had hoped for! The outdoor shower had a deck that led to the pool, and the large deep bathtub overlooked the pool, both with spectacular ocean views!

I could go on and on about how beautiful this place is, but you can see yourself from the pictures. What really sets the Four Seasons apart is the service! We took a buggy almost everywhere and although I was hesitant about this at first, they always arrived a few minutes after we called and they were present 24 hours a day, willing to take you anywhere on the resort. The staff driving the buggies are so friendly and kind, always smiling and willing to help in any way! There are 2 restaurants and a sushi bar. I loved breakfast as it always came with a view of the ocean and a wide variety of food to choose from. We enjoyed the Creole buffet night, which was really entertaining with dancers and music, as well as the Indian and Japanese Buffets. We also ate off the resort at two restaurants, Anse Soleil and Maria’s Rock Café, both of which I highly recommend. I thought that it would be difficult to get to these restaurants but again, the Four Seasons just excels in service, and provided us with transportation to and from both restaurants! Selwyn was the main concierge and saw to it that all of our requests were met.

The beach is stunning with white, powdery sand and blue waters that are easily swimmable. The beach was a bit crowded at one end, closer to the bar/restaurant/pool area, but there were plenty of spaces open further down the beach and even though you are away from the beach bar, the staff would still come down often to take your order, offer you a free pitcher of water, and often free refreshing drinks. I also liked that there were chairs off the sand a bit, into the shade, which gave more privacy. We didn’t really spend a lot of time at the resort pool, as there were always a good amount of kids, but that didn’t bother us because that’s what our private plunge pool was for!

There is also an activity center at the beach were you can get snorkel gear, kayak’s and learn to paddle board. I was most excited that there was a PADI dive center on site, as I am a new diver. I booked a morning dive but I was a bit nervous, as this would be my first dive as a certified diver. The staff reassured me and we were picked up by boat and taken on a short trip away to our dive site. I was joined by 5 other divers and an instructor who knew I was new at this and he was very supportive and encouraging the whole trip. It was great, we saw sharks, a turtle and an abundance of sea life!

We took 2 day trips, one to Victoria and Moyenne, and the other to Praslin and La Digue. We booked both trips easily through the concierge at the Four Seasons. Both tours were private although we initially booked a group tour to Praslin and La Digue, it was canceled the night before by the outside tour company. We received a call at 8pm that our trip had been canceled due to too few numbers and we were so disappointed because we thought we were not going to be able to take the trip. But the Four Seasons pulled through for us and within 30 minutes Claudia had a full private trip booked for us the next day!! I was so impressed! Here it was at 8pm and she found us transport and guides for the full trip the next day…I mean from being picked up at the Four Seasons to Victoria where we caught Cat Cacos over to Praslin, and from there a guide was waiting on us to take us to Valee De Mai then to Anse Laizo. From there we caught the ferry to La Digue where another guide met us… it really was remarkable! Thank you Claudia!

The Spa was fantastic! It is the highest point of the resort and we spent 2 sunsets here. Now we had an amazing sunset view in our Villa, but the view from the spa is not to be missed! It was very quiet and only a few others were up there at sunset. It is very peaceful and relaxing. We actually had 2 couple’s massages there, and the hot shell massage was the best I had ever had!

Lastly, our Anniversary Dinner on the beach. It was perfect in every way! We were transported to the beach at sunset where we relaxed prior to dinner. We pre-ordered our dinner from a choice of 3 menus. The dinner was fantastic and there was so much food! The sunset was beautiful and it was the picture-perfect way to spend our Anniversary. At the end we had a fabulous surprise to light lanterns in the sky. Now this completely amazed me as it has special meaning to both my husband and I of memories of the Loy Krathong festival in Thailand the year before. I was so excited that we would be able to symbolically celebrate our anniversary by lighting the lanterns and reflecting on our past years together and make a wish for our future! And our waiter, Buddha gladly took tons of pictures as we shared this special time!

The Four Seasons Seychelles was everything we expected and more! There were more kids and fewer couples than I have experienced at other Four Seasons resorts but it is still incredibly romantic with a stunning beach, spectacular views, and our course outstanding people and service that makes the Four Seasons stand out above the rest!

Room Tip: Room 501- Excellent daytime sun, expansive ocean view with partial sunset view.
2  Thank PegasusStar
Alex_Porteous, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Seychelles, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Dear PegasusStar,

What a wonderful review. Thank you so much for highlighting the great work from Claudia, Buddha and Selwyn. I will pass on your gratitude to them. It sounds like you had a wonderful stay with us in Seychelles, so thank you for the feedback. I'm glad we could pull your trip to Praslin and La Digue back from the brink, with the aid of Claudia's speedy work!

Great to hear you were so impressed with our arrival experience. Just to highlight your concern with regards to the pricing of our BMW airport transfer service, transfers are available from 100€++, giving you the Four Seasons service as soon as you arrive, which is something that a taxi will not necessarily be able to provide. Enhanced arrival experiences including additional amenities and Fast-Track arrival are also available for an additional charge. We also have an airport greeter on hand to offer assistance to all of our guests once they land in Mahé, whether they have opted to book a transfer with us or not - particularly helpful to smooth over the bumps if you have experienced delays or cancellations with your airline, as I'm sure you will appreciate after your slight delays in getting to Seychelles!

Congratulations again on your anniversary. We hope you will come back and spend future celebrations with us in the years to come.

With best personal regards,
Alex Porteous

Write a ReviewReviews (1,133)

Reviewed 27 May 2012

My wife and I went to South Africa for Safari and decided to end our anniversary trip in the Seychelles. We decided to stay at the Four Seasons because of the great reviews we read.

We arrived at 7am in the morning on Air Seychelles (operated by Etihad). We were supposed to arrive the night before at 8pm, but the flight was delayed. When we arrived, we were pleasantly greeted in typical Four Seasons fashion with a welcome drink and cool towel. Check in was easy, and we were carted away by golf cart to our room.

Our room was beautiful with gorgeous views. We had asked for an oceanview with plenty of sunlight, and we're disappointed. Room 501 had expansive views of the bay, with the sunset on the left along the cliff. The plunge pool was always warm without being too cold to take a refreshing dip.

Breakfast was pleasant at Zez in the morning. Sparkling wine is included, as well as some fruit juice mixers to go with it. There was the typical breakfast selection, and some of the items changed daily. All in all an pretty good breakfast buffet.

At the restaurants, Zez and Kannel, there were theme nights. There was Indian night, Creole night, Japanese Buffet, Middle Eastern, and Italian. If you didn't want to participate, you can always go to the other restaurant for a la carte. While we there, they set out a chocolate room for the regional Vice President who was visiting. That was a spectacle in of itself. Thy said that during Easter, they also have this room set up.

We had room service a few times while we there. They always gave a time frame for delivery and quickly set up. They always offered to come back in an hour to pick up the trays.

The spa was gorgeous. It is set up on top a hill with beautiful views. The views from the roof were amazing. It's a perfect place to have a glass of champagne or one of their teas at sunset. You don't need to have a treatment to visit the roof.

My wife and I had two wonderful treatments. She had the seashell / hot stone experience, which she loved, and I had the Hilltop Fusion, which worked out all the knots in my muscles.

We had some excursions and dinner reservations off the resort, and the concierge set up everything for us without problems, including transfers.

On our anniversary night, we had a beach dinner with our own wait staff, and we couldn't be happier. Buddha was our waiter, and he tended to our every need, including taking lots of pictures. They allowed us to choose from three different menus, and we had the grilled seafood menu. There was way more food than we could finish. At the end of dinner, we set off Kom Loy Lanterns, like the ones you see in Thailand during Loy Krathong. That was a nice touch and brought back wonderful memories of our time in Thailand.

This was a wonderful ending cap to our trip through Africa, and was a wonderful anniversary for the both of us.

Room Tip: Ask for a sunset view with lots of sun.

Dear rkmoy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback. We find the reviews as helpful as our potential guests, as we strive for excellence in all areas. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your view from the villa. Great to hear that you enjoyed the a la carte and international events in our restaurants, and had a chance to try our fantastic in-villa dining menu. Our Chocolate Room was indeed open for Easter, and we will continue with new pop-up events like this and the Steak Shack throughout the year. It's a great way of adding new and innovative dining options, plus it gives us the opportunity to showcase the amazing talents of our culinary team. I'm glad that you had the opportunity to enjoy the Spa and a fantastic beach dinner with Buddha serving. It's such a special way to mark an occasion like your anniversary.

We hope that you made some fantastic memories in the Seychelles and will come back and visit us again soon; perhaps for your next anniversary!

Reviewed 21 May 2012

The ultimate vacation. We were met at the airport and swept to our villa for an in-villa check-in. The Hill Top Ocean View Villa was spectacular, it had a wonderful view and unparalleled privacy tucked in the lush jungle landscape. Spacious rooms, tastefully designed with local elements, private plunge pool and deck, outdoor shower - you felt like you were in your own private oasis.
The beach took our breath away - fine powdery white sand and crystal clear water rivaling the Maldives. During our weeks stay we found no reason to leave the hotel - we were at the best beach on the island. Though the hotel was full we always felt like we were the only ones on the vast beach. Great service - towels, jugs of water, complimentary fruit and refreshing juices served while guests basked in the sun was truly refreshing.
Sun loungers and umbrellas, towels set out for guests, sun cream always available, beach staff offering to clean your sunglasses - what else could one ask for? Snorkeling along the rocks gave an insight into the exceptional marine life steps from the beach. A wide range of beach activities and water sport ensured that guests could always entertain themselves whether it was to paddle out or canoe in the pristine waters. The staff were great - special thanks to Christina, Liza and Andy who were always there when you needed them.
Contrary to some other reviews on the service and food, we found the service and food in all the restaurants exceptional. The staff were always attentive and gracious with a smile - we felt we had a true creole experience. Thanks to Olga and Rodolpho and all the staff at Kannel, Maureen and Che Wan at Zez who made a genuine effort to be friendly and warm and extended to us fantastic service.
One has to remember that one is vacationing on an island and everything has to be imported, besides what pushes the price up is the tax and service charge which adds another 25% to the final bill.
We had all our meals in the hotel, enjoyed the great and varied buffet evenings - Italian, Arabian, Indian, Japanese, Creole -and found the food and assortment to be extensive and delicious. The chocolate room was truly amazing - it brought back the child in us - the smell of the chocolate as you entered the room the intricate chocolate sculptures and the range of desserts made us feel like kids in a candy shop.
Movement around the property is serviced by buggies. Obviously we had to expect a slight wait during peak periods but this did not seem excessive with the staff always apologetic if they had kept you waiting. Thanks to Derek for his ever gracious manner.
The spa was great, we had a relaxing body treatment which was invigorating. The view from the roof top is not to be missed.
The management - GM Mr. Alex Porteous, Resort Manager Mr. Bob Suri , Asst. RM Ms. LisaJane Mcbain were always on hand to ensure everything was clicking like clockwork and interacting with guests to solicit feedback and iron out the kinks if any arose. Special thanks to Bob and LisaJane who coordinated our trip and made all the arrangements for our interisland transfers and taking care of all the minute details - offering suggestions for enhancing the experience of our vacation. Thanks LisaJane for for being so patient with my numerous emails and all the arrangements made on our behalf. It contributed to the outstanding vacation we experienced.

We look forward to returning in the not too distant future to our "paradise found."

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank VincentNewYork_NY
Alex_Porteous, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Seychelles, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2012

Dear Lee G,

Thank you from the whole team for your lovely feedback. I will personally see to it that Bob, LisaJane, Olga, Rodolphe, Maureen and Che Wan in the restaurants, Christina, Liza and Andy at the beach, and Derek the Bellman all read your kind words about them.
Our beach is amazing, and I'm so please to see that you loved the beach service as much as the white sand and crystal clear ocean! Very pleased to hear also that you enjoyed our warm Creole welcome. We place huge importance on making sure our guests enjoy a real taste of the Seychelles, and the warmth and hospitality offered by our staff is such a huge part of that, along with the small local touches such as flowers, and ingredients in our Spa products and produce in our bars and restaurants.

The team and I look forward very much in welcoming you back very soon. We will have lots more pop-up innovations like our fabulous Chocolate Room coming in the future, so stay tuned to our newsletters and social media for news.

Reviewed 20 May 2012

Outstanding hotel.
Location, service, rooms, views, breakfast and food in general. Awesome.
Exceeding expectations even for a four Seasons.
Worth visiting and staying.

1  Thank Juan M

Dear JMR61,

Thanks so much for your feedback. We really appreciate the time you spent telling other TripAdvisor users about our beautiful resort.

So nice to see that we exceeded your expectations. I hope you can come back and visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 17 May 2012

We just love this hotel. Tastefully decorated villas (we would always recommend the hilltop villas), great facilities, excellent food (this was our third stay and the restaurants have improved over time and are now a credit to the hotel) and a magical beach. Diving is fantastic and the service of Jonathan and his colleagues at the dive base makes everything easy and relaxed.
But the real difference are the Management and Staff. The way they dealt with an issue we had (no fault of the hotel) was outstanding. The staff are polite, helpful and super friendly.
This is a fab resort for couples and families alike. The girls at the Kid's Club are just the best! Jing was a great babysitter - our girls loved her.
We've been to other luxury hotels (Maya - overpriced and -rated) in the Seychelles but we'll come back to the Four Seasons.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank NRK1974

Dear NRK1974,

Thank you so much for leaving your feedback on TripAdvisor, and particularly njce to hear from a return guest who has noticed the improvement in our restaurants. Thank you for recognising the fantastic team we have hear, and lovely to hear that your girls enjoyed their time with Ying. I know the whole team loved spending time with them!

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon for more diving and time on our beautiful beach. We have just opened our new and improved Tortoise Park, with two new tortoises, who I'm sure are looking forward to meeting your girls.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Baie Lazare
6.9 km away
DoubleTree by Hilton Seychelles Allamanda Resort & Spa
1.1 km away
Kempinski Seychelles Resort

Been to Four Seasons Resort Seychelles? Share your experiences!