1,289 results
All reviews steep hill greek night pool bar next year air con brother and sister old block take your time gyros rhodes town great holiday hotel owner main bar cleaning ladies small hotel all inclusive drinks boat trip to lindos
Reviewed 5 August 2017

I am presently staying at the Rodos Star hotel and I must say that I have in no way experienced what Lauren S has. The ladies who clean the rooms are extremely thorough, are in every day, fold clothes that may be stray even putting them in beautiful patterns, are polite when entering the room and work very hard. The 3 girls in the restaurant......what can I say? They are the hardest working girls I've ever encountered and I've been extremely lucky in the past 15 years to have had a holiday in some nice places. No one has beaten these girls. Standing around talking? They converse with their guests to make them feel comfortable and wanted as part of their 'family'. They are amazing girls and fulfil their duties to high classed standard. The food? Oh my goodness. It is amazing! It's fresh, it's different daily and it's delicious. The hotel is fairly small which makes it even more fabulous as you get the personal touch from all of the staff. As for the owners, I can only describe the whole family as just that.....family. They include their staff, their guests and they work 24/7 to make the business as successful as it is. I don't expect people to clean up after me when I make a mess whether I am at home or on holiday; it's my mess and I will tidy up after myself. But here, the staff WANT to do things for you. They want to help you have a relaxing time and sometimes the only thing that may be difficult, is telling them it's ok! Queuing for a drink doesn't bother me either........we do that every day of our lives back in England! This hotel is first class in every way and I can not find a fault in it at all. The staff are to be commended on their professionalism in this beautiful setting and without a doubt, we will be back to sample the exceptional hospitality. Thank you all for a wonderful holiday.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
8  Thank Princessmillie
Reviewed 5 August 2017

I have just covered some key points which keep cropping up

Rooms
We had a mountain view room in the new block. It was fantastic! Cleaned daily, fresh towels daily, air con included (July / Aug) memory foam matresses, squidgy pillows couldn’t have been better!

The Hill
It’s a hill (you know a sloping piece of ground). If you have mobility issues it would be a challenge but although it is steep it isn’t really that long. My daughter and I challenged each other to RUN up it. She made it without stopping (she is 12 and fit as a flea) I stopped once. It can’t be that bad!

Pool & Loungers
The pool is lovely and very clean. Open 8am-6pm. Oddly the pool bar is 10.30am – 5pm. They do not want visitors to take glass to the pool side yet if you had your breakfast at 7.30 you then have 3 hours with no drinks, this only encourages people to take drinks from the restaurant (in glasses) to the pool side. A drinks machine with plastic cups to cover this time would be a good idea.

There was a shortage of loungers during our second week to the point that they were all taken before 8am in the morning. I do think the hotel needs to address this with perhaps providing pool towels in exchange for tokens so that loungers can’t be reserved at dawn or implementing a no use rule. There were times when our kids had to sit on the floor.

Firstly, we arrived at 9.30pm due to a delay in the flight by 1 hour. I was staggered to arrive at this time with 2 hungry children to be told that my ‘all-inclusive hotel’ offered no food. They did instead suggest I could by some crisps from the shop or they could dial a pizza for me. Not a great 1st impression.

Breakfast 7.30-9.30 (usual fare, not the best quality bacon or sausages to be honest) we gave up eating it after 4 days as nobody was enjoying it. There is plenty of choice, we just aren’t breakfast people.

Snacks 10.30-12.30 (pizza, make your own toasties) a lot of people went for this option as I think they felt the same way about the breakfast as we did.

Lunch 12.30-2.30 Best meal of the day. The Gyros station is fantastic!

Dinner 7.30-9.30 Much the same as lunch with some meats cooked on the barbecue. Food is good but can get a bit repetitive.

Greek Night
Why do they bring out all the best food on one night? One Greek dish each night would be better.

Drinks
There are 2 bars one by the pool 10.30-5pm and one in the main hotel 6pm-11pm (all-inclusive) 11pm onwards drinks are charged at around €5 each.

The drinks are very good for an all-inclusive and the wine is good too. I saw no evidence of drinks being ‘watered down’ I ordered a Gin & Orange and the barman had to open a new bottle in front of me. These aren’t top brand drinks and frankly if you drank the top label stuff all day you would be rather drunk. The fact that the drinks aren’t strong is no bad thing in that heat.

Entertainment
There are 3 nights of ‘entertainment’ Thursday is a local singer, Friday is karaoke and Monday is Greek night. Fist week we saw all 3. The second week we took this a cue to go out.

Trips
The ‘half day excursion’ to Rhodes Old town is £65 per head. The local Bus (air conditioned coach) is $2.40 each (over 12’s) kids even cheaper. The busses leave from opposite the bars in the main square, and return from where you are dropped off. The drivers all speak excellent English.

Beach
You can walk to the beach in around 10 mins. It does involve crossing a dual carriageway but it isn’t that hard. The beach is pebbly, there are a few taverna’s. There are loungers to hire.

We went one day but the lack of shade was a complete killer and we soon retreated. I would advise water shoes due to the pebbles if you want to make a day of it.

Overall
Overall this is a fantastic hotel, I would say 4 star not 3. Yes I would go back.

The staff work very hard to make your stay enjoyable, they do need a few more staff and they are working on it. The food is very good if a little repetitive at times but there are also some fantastic places to eat in Afandu (Mimi’s, Sergio’s etc) and some wonderful bars so get yourself down the hill from time to time, its well worth the walk back up.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
11  Thank Hazel E
Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

My family & I stayed here for 2 weeks & admittedly we had a good holiday but not because of the hotel. The staff were very friendly but there were not enough of them in the slightest, the waitress' would stand around chatting & one barman between 200 guests. The cleanliness was average at best, most days our hotel rooms were barely touched by the maids & when they were we'd come back to our pjs thrown on the floor etc. The facilities were no where near big enough for the amount of guests, as they'd expanded the accommodation they need to expand the facilities too. The food was the same thing, near enough, every single day - other than lunch which was very good. Rhodes is such a beautiful island & I'd definitely return, but not to this hotel.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
6  Thank Lauren S
Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed for a week at end of July. Had privilege of staying in one of the 7 rooms with its on personal little pool. Room was amazing, clean and with ability to sun bathe and enjoy on pool in quiet surroundings it made our holiday. Very friendly family to extent that the son ensured that we made our transfer collection on time as a result of our taxi not showing on time. Above and beyond service. Would book again.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Nrp247
Reviewed 1 August 2017

Owned by a great brother and sister and everyone is very friendly and look like they enjoy their job, went to a nearby hotel and everyone looked miserable made us realise how nice ours was. The food is basic all inclusive, chips, rice, pasta and a fish dish, meat dish, vegetable dish, pudding was great, had to give our group a challenge of trying something every meal time and it worked out great as everyone loved everything! which is saying a lot as 5 out of 7 of us are picky eaters. The rooms were basic with aircon and hairdryers. Not a lot of stuff going on in Afandou but for 13 euros you can get a taxi to faliraki. The people at reception are very helpful with day trips and travel if you need it so always ask. Would definitely come back, the drinks were great and the atmosphere ws great.

Room Tip: Top floor is quieter, pool view is lovely the other view is of the beach but a big dusty field just before it.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends