“A Tuscan Feast We'll Never Forget; Truly Exceptional”
Review of Osteria di Rendola

Osteria di Rendola
Ranked #5 of 67 Restaurants in Montevarchi
Price range: US$51 - US$203
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 12 June 2016

If I could give Osteria di Rendola a 6 out of 5, I would. Superbly comfortable, friendly service, and impeccable Tuscan food. Dining here was more than a meal, it was a sublime Tuscan experience. We (some of us anyway) had waited all week for a beautiful Chianina steak, and by the recommendation of our villa's director, we went to the Osteria. After we were sat at our comfortably large table, we all had the feeling this was going to be a special dinner. First, no menu, you will enjoy whatever the kitchen is preparing. While some at our table of 12 may be considered somewhat picky eaters to trust a chef with their menu, nobody was disappointed. Those who enjoy chef menus or just enjoy Italian food, will love the traditional Tuscan cuisine offered here.

We were served antipasti of prosciutto, copa, salumi and cheeses with fresh Italian bread. That was followed by some ricotta and fresh mozarella cheeses, which preceded a plentiful round of pappa col pomodoro and a variant with fresh seasonal vegetables. Then came the trippa, yes, tripe. I had tried trippa only one other time in my life and really did not enjoy it, but seeing how things were going I had to try the Osteria's. While I certainly could not eat a whole bowl of it, I found myself having a few decent servings. In my mind, it was certainly the best I ever had and couldn't imagine it being better prepared. Next we were teased with three of the largest steaks I had ever seen (see picture). These beautiful slabs of Chianina steaks were going to be served to us?? What a treat they were. Served with roasted Tuscan potatoes and a simple leaf salad, the steak just melted in my mouth and was the perfect compliment to the superb Chianti served to us.

Not that any of us had any more room, but the feast was brought to a close with bowls of Cantucci served with Vin Santo. We cannot stop talking about this dinner. If you are in the area, a dinner at Osteria di Rendola will not disappoint.

Reviewed 19 February 2016

Some years ago we attended cooking-workshops at Osteria di Rendola. We shall never forget it. Chef Allessandro Bettini was our teacher. We never learned to cook this excellent food before.In may 2016 we plan to visit Rendola to have dinner there. A real reaunion.

Reviewed 18 June 2015

I've been visiting Montevarchi for many years but had never been here. It is under new ownership and I was taken here for a meal. There was no menu, but the staff explained what food had been freshly prepared that day. They cook using fresh, seasonal ingredients and their recommendations were first class! I ate well over several courses - the steak was cooked to perfection! I finished off with a delicious, homemade strawberry mousse and it was to die for! The restaurant is situated in a stunning location with beautiful scenery. The atmosphere is very homely and comfortable. The decor is gorgeous. The owner, Franca, is such a lovely person. This won't be my last visit!

Reviewed 13 February 2015

We came across this restaurant just by passing by on the road from Bucine to Montegonzi. (on the right hand side) The meal was typically Tuscan, and lots of different tastes to try. If anything the portions were too generous and we felt bad not being able to finish each course, but......if you are a big eater.........

Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

I was taken here by friends wanting to give us a treat in May 2012. We soon realised there was a big set meal going on at the end of the room. The waiter pushed one antipasto and when the mega-party started getting served, we saw why. It was the one on their set menu!

The food was.average and those who had meat dishes were disappointed.

I can't comment on price as our friends paid but judging by the expession on their faces it was poor value.